1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carfax

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by js_iron, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Aug 31, 2008 at 9:28 AM
    js_iron

js_iron [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD PreRunner
    I bought an 04 Tacoma TRD Prerunner last week. Im now noticing that the driver's side door & front fender are a different shade of silver, & it looks like there was some minor repairs done. The inside of the door is flat silver, no clearcoat like the other door, & the VIN sticker isnt on the inside of the door as on the other one. It doesnt align exactly the same as the other side. I didnt have a carfax pulled (which was my fault for not asking), but I'm wondering what I should do. I bought the truck from a Toyota dealership as a "Certified Vehicle" for a pretty penny. Havent seen the title yet either, whether its clear or not. Any suggestions?

2. Aug 31, 2008 at 12:33 PM
    mudjunkie

mudjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    clearwater fl
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx l
    header,short rack and pinion, heavy duty shocks, grill guard, flowmaster exhaust,pacesetter header without catalytic converter, one 10 inch xant sub with a mtx amp, off road lights,diamondplate tool box,rhinolined inside cab,ngk plugwires.
    get a car fax 32 bucks did one on mine just for fun turns out the truck was in mexico for a while though t that wqas interesting

3. Aug 31, 2008 at 3:58 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    gonna be totally honest with ya....and its kinda brutal, but you cant always trust the carfax report. especially when there are so many people that know people in the auto body business, alot of stuff never gets reported. how do i know..............the 02 honda accord had a side impact...not bad, but the doors werre painted.....not reported, and i have figured out that the 04 dc tacoma that i bought had some body work done on it from a rear bump up.......and it was never reported. sorry to bring news like this, but just giving you a heads up that carfax isnt always be all end all!!

edit.....as far as what you may need to do.......call the 800 number and explain what you have explained to us and see if they are willing to work with you in some way to make things right. hope it all works out in your favor.

4. Aug 31, 2008 at 9:14 PM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    well I would have dealer pull the carfax...show them the differences in paint and sticker etc... also its not "shady" auto body places that dont report it.... if I back into a tree and damage side of my own truck i would take it to body shop and pay to fix it...not call my insurance company and report it.... not like the body shops pick up the phone and call insurance companies...they do the work you pay them to do,or the insurance company pays them to do... thats it

5. Jan 18, 2015 at 9:18 PM
    opteron

opteron Well-Known Member

Member:
    whittier, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2003 DB 4x4 SR5
    Leer camper, bug-rug, fox suspension 2.0 rear, fox 2.5 front, BAMF sliders and LCA, TRD fake 3 piece rims
    Don't trust carfax, its great it clean as long it matches the condition of the vehicle. My Honda civic was stolen 3 times and it doesn't appear on the car fax ....it also doesn't shown that it was repaired 3 times....

6. Jan 20, 2015 at 7:30 AM
    Voyager

Voyager Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4X4 TRD V6
    OME Suspension kit Magnaflow SS catback, ARE cap, Yakima kayak & bike racks, Deck Lid, Westin Safari Light Bar.
    Don't trust carfax, "clean title", etc. That just means it was never submitted as an insurance claim. Look at the tons of flood-damaged cars selling all over the country.

Tracing the VIN can help. I looked at a nice shiny car at one of the big box car dealerships last year. Paper trail was clean. Traced the VIN and found out a company in New Jersey owned it and sent it to auction right after the hurricane. Went back and inspected it closer and found tons of rust and sand in the nooks and crannies.

To Top