1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cargo Cross Bars and Yakima Strap Thang

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rpparkster, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Apr 16, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    rpparkster

rpparkster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    TRD FJ Wheels, 285 GY DuraTrac's, Fox 2.5 C/O w/ Res, TC UCA's, Demello Sliders,AllPro 3" Leaf Pack, Walker Evans 2.0 Adj. RR, AllPro Front Bumper & IFS Skid, Timbren Bump Stops, Leather
    Hey guys,
    Pretty new to the site and I appreciate all the info you have in the forums. I just picked up a 2009 DC TRD 4X4 but I have a question for people that have the Cargo Cross Bars. I purchased them to have an easily accessible way to load/unload surfboards (for local driving) and I was thinking about using Yakima's Strap Thangs. They attach on one side of the bar, but I need something to "loop" it around to attach the other side. The Yakima bars hang over the edge, so you would usually loop the other side around the bar. For the Cargo Cross Bars, there isn't anything that hangs over. I was thinking I could hook it around "circular Tie-down things (sorry, to new to know the technical term)" and use it for low speed travelling without having to use nylon straps to lock them down. Trust me, I don't want my surfboards flying around the streets, but does anyone that have these think that there might be a solution to use these?
    Thanks.
    rpparkster

p.s. Here is a link to what Strap Thangs look like.
    HTML:
    http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?Number=8004014

2. Apr 16, 2009 at 4:11 PM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
  3. Apr 16, 2009 at 6:43 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars w/Thules ski and bike attachments, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, roadmaster active rear suspension, more when $$$ allows
    This is the correct link :)
    http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?Number=8004014

Problem you have with that kind of setup when using the Toyota cargo bars is the fact that there are no real bar ends. You're almost better off getting a Yakima (or Thule) roof rack and using their parts entirely.

Here's my setup for my bike. You can see how the cargo bars attach. Thinking about it though you MAY be able to use the loop straps if you get another set of the large tie downs and use that as your loop attachment point.

[​IMG]

4. Apr 16, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    rpparkster

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    TRD FJ Wheels, 285 GY DuraTrac's, Fox 2.5 C/O w/ Res, TC UCA's, Demello Sliders,AllPro 3" Leaf Pack, Walker Evans 2.0 Adj. RR, AllPro Front Bumper & IFS Skid, Timbren Bump Stops, Leather
    Thanks for the pic. Helps me think through this a bit more.
    The one end is fixed and attachs to the middle, so no concerns there.
    I was thinking one of two options for the loop. Either drop it down the hole on the end of the rack and loop it around the round handle OR try to find/make something that'll attach to the rack itself and work as a hook. If there are any spare parts out there that would work, I'd love some ideas.
    Thanks guys.
    rP

5. Apr 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    rpparkster

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Well I did some work on the Cargo Bars and bought the Strap Thangs, against the saleskids advice. The fixed attached side is made to fit Yakima bars ONLY, because they are round (Thats why he didn't want me to buy them). Well, I tinkered around with it, and was determined to make it work. I took off the end cap and slid the piece into the groove of the crossbar. Then I drilled a hole through the cross bar so I could secure that side of things.

IMG_1149.jpg

Here's a picture of the set-up with a board on it:

IMG_1151.jpg
    This set-up works, but I could use some ideas on where to hook the looped side of the cord. I'm currently using the bottom groove of the D-ring, but I'm thinking that something else might work better. Any ideas?
    IMG_1152.jpg

Thanks for the help.
    rP

To Top