1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cargo loads with cap on truck bed?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by prerunner11, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Feb 22, 2012 at 1:04 PM
    prerunner11

prerunner11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 Magnetic Grey Prerunner Dbl Cab Sport
    Softopper
    I'm looking at purchasing a cap for my truck (most likely the Leer XL). More importantly, the one reason holding me back from putting it on is the limit of my cargo load.

A basic example is: Would I still be able to fit a couch in the bed of my double cab short bed with the cap on? Washing machine/dryer? etc...

Any experience with this? I've carried a lot in my bed and don't recall the cargo going over the top of the cabin height, but I realize the cap angles may limit me.

2. Feb 22, 2012 at 1:29 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Short answer, you're purchasing a bed cover so yes, you will be limited on what you can use the bed of your truck for once installed. I'm not going to give you a list of what will/won't fit because, well it depends. The loading/unloading can be a bit more difficult with large, bulky items as well as head height concerns. The mid-rise shells are nice because you get that extra couple inches of headroom for bigger, bulkier items but aren't as sleek looking. Also, just because it won't sit higher than the cab doesn't necessarily mean it'll fit under a shell. The window opening is a little bit lower than the cab height.

3. Feb 22, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Sentinel Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & '79 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Reasons like this I went with a folding tonneau, 2 minutes to take it off and stow it behind my seat, and 5 minutes to put it back on. Or just fold it back and secure it with the clips, that's how I carry the dogs around in it.

4. Feb 22, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    Had a cap/shell on a GMC I had long ago. last cap I ever had. Busted out the back window loading a small lawn tractor. The steering wheel just caught the window and I had glass everywhere.
    I have a folding cover and I'm seriously considering going with just a tool box and getting rid of the cover.

5. Feb 22, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC LB 4x4
    OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    I bought my Taco with a cap on it - which I wanted, for a place to put the dog during the wet times and/or when I actually fill up the cab and need a place to put... whatever else.

As it ends up, the dog gets the cab and whatever else goes under the cap... always.

As for being able to tote around couches and washing machines - I took the cap off last spring when the wet weather had mostly passed. And it ended up that's when I moved anything large as well.

If it's any help, I had similar concerns when first thinking about getting a cap after getting the truck, and I have yet to run into an issue.

6. Feb 22, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I bought the commercial version of the Leer 100R cap , the 100RCC

It has a 400 lb rating for the reinforced roof and roof rack .

I don't always haul couches and washing machines ....but when I do , I haul them on the roof .

7. Feb 22, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    MJM777

MJM777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.E. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4x4 Sport
    I like having a cap on my trucks to keep my hunting and camping gear dry.
    I have a couple of trailers I use If i ever have to haul items to large to fit in the truck with the cap.

8. Feb 22, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    They're pretty easy to take on and off if you have one other person to help, and a place to put it. It's really just 4 clamps holding it to the bed, and disconnecting the wires for the 3rd brake light. Shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes either way.

9. Feb 26, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    prerunner11

prerunner11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 Magnetic Grey Prerunner Dbl Cab Sport
    Softopper
    Thanks for everyone's responses. I ended up buying a softopper cap for my truck. For me, it's the best of both worlds. It doesn't look as sleek as a hard cap or folding/rolling cover but it's very functional for what I need.

To Top