1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carling Contura II V-series with Rear Locker help

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Gunner23, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Apr 13, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    Gunner23

Gunner23 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno TRD Off Road 4x4 Double-cab
    17x9 Mickey Thompson Sidebiter II Wheels 265/70R17 Cooper Discovery STMaxx Tires
    Has anyone replaced their rear locker switch with a Contura II V-series switch?

There seem to be 4 wires in the original switch: green and green-white stripe are for the top indicator (there is also a bottom indicator when the switch is on) to light up when the headlights are on (just a guess but it holds with my other two contura switches), but purple-black stripe and light green are for the activation of the locker. On the Contura switch there are five prongs

1 2
    4 5

1 and 2 are for the top headlight indicator, 4 is "outgoing to the relay", 3 is incoming from source or supply and 5 is ground.

The Tacoma schematic (wiring diagram p.212-217) shows the light green coming from a 10A IG1 NO.2 fuse to the original switch and the purple coming from the switch to the 4WD control ECU.

If I put light green on 3 and purple on 4 I get a flashing rear locker light (no matter if I am in H2, H4 or L4), and no bottom indicator light. I think I can hear the locker kicking in, but the light keeps blinking. If I connect a ground to 5 then the bottom indicator stays on no matter the switch position.

Can someone put me on the right track?

2. Apr 13, 2011 at 2:13 PM
    Gunner23

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    17x9 Mickey Thompson Sidebiter II Wheels 265/70R17 Cooper Discovery STMaxx Tires
    Sorry, I had the wrong numbers. But when I put green on 3 (4 before edit) and purple on 5 I get the same results: flashing dash indicator and no lower light on switch. One thing I noticed was when I have it in L4 the dash indicator still flashes but with a bias toward on, like half second on and quarter second off. In H2 and H4 it's just quarter second on and off. It's also only in L4 that I hear it click like it's engaging along with the ABS light coming on.

3. Apr 13, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    Gunner23

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    It's definitely the right one, though I guess it is red-black stripe rather than purple-black stripe. But I used the clutch cancel while trying to test it, so it isn't that one.

Products Discussed in

To Top