1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carnage Report - Got hit this morning.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Coreyjon, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Apr 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM
    Coreyjon

Coreyjon [OP] Northern Alliance: Airlift Div

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    It is at the dealer body shop, where I purchased this truck in 2008. They are really great - they do work on porsche/toyota mostly. They seem to be working with me, they told me let the ins guy write for whatever and then they will get it on the lift, make their list, and submit the supplement - assuming the frames not knackered.

2. Apr 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    If it gets totalled hopefully you can put it back to stock because they are not paying you for your extras.

3. Apr 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    Theres really not a whole lot of extras - add a leafs, and billy coil overs. but I know what your saying.

4. Apr 5, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    07 sport 4x4

07 sport 4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    I would also check for damage to the transfer case and transmission. I have a friend that got hit just like you did and when his driveshaft got ripped out it screwed up the transmission. I think it cracked around the output shaft. Aluminum isn't that hard to crack.

5. Apr 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    They wrote to replace the "Brkt, Rear Spring LT" part # 4840704020 , It looks like the forward leaf spring perch - this is just in the initial write up - so it looks like they are already assuming thats knackered -so what are the chances the frame is too ( i was under the impression they couldn't change these out).

6. Apr 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    Was that your insurance, or the person who hit you ? If it's yours, I'd start escalating that up the chain.

If it's the other persons, I'd be calling my insurance company - they've got plenty of lawyers with free time and it's their job to make you whole.

7. Apr 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM
    sparkystaco

sparkystaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    3" lift? A.R.E cap 285/70/17 moto metal 955 17x9
    Everything I've seen in your posts would be fixable,,,but make sure that IF they don't replace the rearend housing, make sure your four wheel alianment numbers are correct, I say this cause 2yrs ago someone forced me off the road and I clipped a light pole with my right rear tire. After getting the quarter panel back in shape, I had too take the truck to two different places for an alianment (first one was clueless) to find out that my rear housing was bent (almost 2 degrees) on the right tire, which was not noticable while driving or visuable looking at the truck. After they replaced the rearend you could see the bend in the housing when it was sitting on the floor in the shop. Have had no problems with the truck since.

Best of luck for you

8. Apr 5, 2013 at 10:02 PM
    El Tano

El Tano i am the one who knocks

Member:
    Pasadena. CA
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD sport
    Corvette homelink FRONT: 5100 Blinstein set at 0 Procomp 3" leveling kit Allpro UCA’s. REAR: Icon Multi Rate RXT Leaf Pack 5100 Blinstein. 17x9 kMC wheels 0 BS 285/70 17 Wildpeak A/T4W C range Amp research steps. and a bunch of TSB's
    Ouch! It sucks man.

9. Apr 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM
    banditstpk

banditstpk Pabst knows best

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    buckeye arizona
    Vehicle:
    00 3.4L PreRunner TRD SR5 Xtracab
    deck plate, led lights interior, center hubs painted black,
    sub'd for outcome

10. Apr 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    x2

11. Apr 5, 2013 at 10:27 PM
    banditstpk

banditstpk Pabst knows best

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    buckeye arizona
    Vehicle:
    00 3.4L PreRunner TRD SR5 Xtracab
    deck plate, led lights interior, center hubs painted black,
    are you stalking me??

12. Apr 6, 2013 at 6:24 AM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    It's their insurance that came up with that figure, but the mechanic said that until it was in the air and taken apart the real extent of the damage is still an unknown.

I have a list of things I'm watching closely, and once the shop writes the real estimate I'll go from there. Involving my ins company and their bloodhound lawyers will be a secondary approach. It will be as good as it was before this event or I will reject the work until it is right.

13. Apr 6, 2013 at 7:00 AM
    KJaikaran

KJaikaran Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    As i said before, i was in an accident just like this just with some more body damage. So from what i went through i can give you a list of parts i needed replaced so you can have an idea.

Rear End:
    1:New leaf packs and u-bolts driver/passenger
    2:New rear shocks driver/passenger
    3:New rear axle/differential (Mine was leaking and it wouldn't hold oil)
    4:New Drive shaft
    5:New carrier barring (bracket was kind of tweaked also)
    5:New brake lines

Make sure they check you rear cross member and make sure its not bent.

Body Work
    1:Side panel on the bed
    2:Rear panel behind door was cut out and replaced (Check your passenger side also. If the bed twisted it probably hit you passenger side rear panel and dented it also.
    3:Rocker panel was cut out and replace
    4:New door skin
    5:New rim and tire
    6: paint

All i can remember

$15-16k worth of damage. They estimated the value of my truck at $26k before the accident.

I went on toyotas parts website and added up all the parts includind body panels and added $1000 for miscellaneous items so i would have a general idea. I forgot what the price came out too, but at $15k the shop was making a decent profit even though the truck took a month to finish because of parts.

Drives just like new. I understand why people would say it would never drive the same, or its totaled, but realistically if the frame or leaf spring mounts are not bent your will be fine. If the truck gets fixed and the rear end alignment numbers are not in specs then you know something is bent.

14. Apr 6, 2013 at 7:26 AM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    Glad your ok OP. Could have been alot worse. Trucks can be replaced. My 06 was totalled out after the front was ripped apart. Looked similar to yours just the front end. Gotta love Toyota's tho, damn do they hold their value. Owed 13k. They gave me 23k. Paid off the truck, debt, and put down a large chunk on my new one.

15. Apr 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    Raceline08

Raceline08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Santa Rosa, ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 DBC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad
    front Billies, 885x coils, taco lean spacer, TC UCA'S, Magnaflow 22" OME Dakars, Billy 110 rear's, B.A.M.F CMC, custom made E-locker guard
    Crap that sucks, hope ya get her back on the road soon!

Brett

16. Apr 6, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    Gene563

Gene563 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab, LB, TRD Sport
    TRD catback exhaust, Undercover hard tonneau, Vent visors, Husky liners, customized seat covers, front license plate bracket, rear suspension TSB, Eibach springs w 5100s@0, & General Grabber AT2 (265.70.17).

A relatively new truck, I'm assuming you have full coverage...
    I would get them involved as soon as possible. If they make a decision and pay out, they'll be the ones going after "their" insurance.
    Being that it wasn't your fault, they should be protecting your best interest.

17. Apr 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    311offroad

311offroad Stock Taco For Now

Member:
    Milledgeville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OffRoad SR5 4x4 Short Bed Debadged
    20% tint, Debadged, Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT, Infinity component door speakers, MagLite mod
    OP, if the truck ends up totaled I would love to have your front cup holders :) my adjustable divider thing broke the other day.

18. Apr 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    OUCH! Man I hope you barked at her after..thank goodness you weren't injured

19. Apr 6, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    13 LiftedTacoma

13 LiftedTacoma New Member

Member:
    East Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma
    New member here. I happen to be a Total loss claims adjuster for a worldwide ins co and think i may provide some addtl info on the process.

First, insurance companies will not use brand new OEM parts to fix your vehicle. They will attempt to find used OEM parts that are either the same age of the parts of your vehicle or slightly newer, but they will have wear on them. The only exemption is if there are absolutely no used parts available. Considering it's an 08, I'm sure they can find them.

Also the dealer was correct in saying to let the appraiser write whatever they want. It's just based on a visual inspection and considered a preliminary estimate. Once the shop begins the tear down process, they will find addtl repairs needed and will submit it as a supplement. Next the insurance company will review it and either approve it or negotiate with he shop to lower the cost. Also they might dispute that one part is repairable and does not have to be replaced.

I'm also shocked that your truck is worth $25k. But most states have a threshold in which a vehicle can be deemed a total loss. I';m not at work so cannot say for sure what NY is, but i believe is 80% of value of veh, but don't quote me on that. Based on the pictures I would've said total loss but the fact it was valued so high makes me wonder.

Anyways just wanted to give my 2 cents and I'm glad no one was injured.

20. Apr 7, 2013 at 2:20 AM
    stephenw13

stephenw13 Active Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 DCLB Sport Upgrade
    Glad to hear your ok. sub'd for outcome.

Products Discussed in

To Top