1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

carpc through touch screen head unit?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by kjf216, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Mar 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    kjf216

kjf216 [OP] Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Head unit, speakers, LEDs
    just starting to do alittle research i have an older laptop im not using so i was considering using in the truck i have a pioneer avh p3200dvd head unit and im sure i can find the right wires that would allow me to show the pc image through the head unit and sound its pretty straight forward but is it possible to use the touch screen head unit to control the laptop. this is not a project i would spend much money on or build a customer touch screen in to my dash but if i can run it through my head unit relatively easy i would consider it.

Has anyone tired this or know how to do this? sound straight forward plug laptop in to head unit and install some drivers but im sure it can't be that easy lol

2. Mar 17, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I won't say it's impossible, but it would require major hacking of the Pioneer including modifying the software to allow the touch screen to drive bluetooth transmitter, then programming an app on the PC to read that. You'd likely need to use Windows-8.

Video alone wouldn't be too hard. You can get VGA to Composite video convertors, but you'd be stuck with 640x480 resolution.

Not impossible, but not likely.

3. Mar 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM
    kjf216

kjf216 [OP] Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Head unit, speakers, LEDs
    That's what I was starting to think with my research just nice to hear some one say the same

Products Discussed in

To Top