1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carpro Hydro2 Lite Results

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Rocketball, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Jul 21, 2019 at 7:02 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball [OP] If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    To beat the heat (it was still 81 degrees at that time) of the "heatwave" the East Coast is going thru right now, I started at 5:45 am this morning. Washed & clay bared the entire truck including the glass , and then sprayed on the Carpro Hydro2 coating .

This is pretty amazing stuff, and the spray on, spray off application couldn't be any easier.

The water beads were jumping off of the paint....

I know a lot of people have had mixed/poor results with this product, but it worked like a charm for me.67406686_2435952339849676_6117852060391047168_o.jpg

Yann, ace96, pudge151 and 2 others like this.
  2. Jul 21, 2019 at 7:09 AM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Truck looks great! Love that leer 100xq

3. Jul 21, 2019 at 7:17 AM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Thanks. Yeah, that's an awesome cap. Pricey, but worth it IMO.

BassAckwards[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jul 21, 2019 at 9:40 AM
    WARPED5

WARPED5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NW IN
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blue TRD OR
    Please post back here in a couple months with durability results ....

5. Jul 23, 2019 at 10:15 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    Nice job!!! I have always had it be somewhat finicky for me. Likely due to the ambient temps i applied it in. Sounds like you nailed it. What was your ratio? 6:1?
    Never mind on the ratio. Forgot you used the premixed "lite" version. Looks great

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Rocketball[OP] likes this.
  6. Jul 23, 2019 at 10:18 AM
    pudge151

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    Oh forgot to mention p&s beadmaker plays very well with fully cured hydro2. A layer of beadmaker the day after hydro2 will blow your mind as far as gloss and slickness. The first time you use beadmaker, go heavy, saturate the panels and dry them off. After the first application you can go light, a few sprays per panel, wet or dry. And dry off. It's good stuff with 4-6 weeks of longevity. If you keep the hydro2 "topped" with beadmaker you cam expect 6+ months of protection

7. Jul 23, 2019 at 10:23 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Off topic, but the OG with the SWB bezels! Haven't seen you in a minute
    :wave:

8. Jul 25, 2019 at 4:14 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Put a coat of Bead Maker on today. Looks amazing and it's slick as butter.

pudge151[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Aug 20, 2019 at 3:50 PM
    clenkeit

clenkeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White DCLB TRD Sport
    Great tips in here. I've been hesitant to graduate from wax to sealants or ceramic coatings. I've used Rejex sealant on some wheels before but that's about it. This post is helpful in giving me some confidence to try some new stuff. Thanks guys!

10. Aug 20, 2019 at 5:41 PM
    pudge151

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    Once you use a good sealant you won't believe you didn't do it sooner. You could try jescar powerlock first because it applies similar to a wax, well a liquid wax. It looks great and last a lonnggg time too.
    As for spray sealants I find carpro reload is easier to apply and lasts longer than hydro2. I guess i shouldn't say easier to apply, but the hydro2 just has always been finicky for me. The reload is spray, wipe, buff, so pretty simple. Hydro2 is spray, rinse, dry, buff, also very simple. Good luck!

11. Aug 21, 2019 at 10:20 AM
    clenkeit

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the additional info. I suppose I should start shopping soon for this stuff. I also need to get a pressure washer sooner rather than later and was planning to build a DI water rig for my detailing cart. But man, I've just got too many projects at the moment!

pudge151[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Aug 21, 2019 at 10:43 AM
    pudge151

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    I would love a DI system, I just can't justify the price as I am only washing 1 vehicle but a spot free rinse and not having to dry sure would be nice.
    I have karcher electric power washer that I got a couple years back. I picked up a MATCC foam gun with karcher adapter from Amazon, it was $18 I think and works really good.

13. Aug 21, 2019 at 11:19 AM
    clenkeit

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    I was looking into the DI setups a while back and they aren't cheap but I think you can get something setup for not too much money (cheaper than the off the shelf setups) and if used in conjunction with a pressure washer and used primarily for rinsing (not washing) I don't think the media replacement costs would be too much. I was going to build something similar to the CR Spotless system but custom and mounted to my detailing cart. We have super hard water here so I have to dry every drop. The exterior isn't too big of a deal other than wheels, my biggest complaint is in the engine bay where it's very tough to dry every nook and cranny. But, if I don't dry it well then there are white water spots all over the engine bay :(

Here's a useful link I ran into previously:
    https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2832232

pudge151 likes this.
  14. Aug 21, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Everyone I've seen that tries DI says that's exactly where all the expense is, especially if you've got hard water.

Now a larger vessel for the resin will at least prolong your need to refresh it.

15. Aug 21, 2019 at 11:58 AM
    clenkeit

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, the media is the only recurring cost. But, I'm saying that if you use a pressure washer and only use the DI water for rinsing you shouldn't use up the media too quickly because you're not running a high volume of water through it. I read varying opinions on this when I was doing my research and I think the variance was really just subjective differences in what people thought was worth it or not plus varying levels of hard water. So, I think really you kinda need to try it out and just see what happens. That's one reason why it's not high on my priority list. I've also been shopping for used, cheap CR Spotless setups via Offerup/Craigslist.

16. Aug 21, 2019 at 12:05 PM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    When I looked into it there was some Youtube channel for RVs that had a build your own tank kit that was a cheap and easy mod. But on the resin of course rinse only but I've seen some say it will cost several dollars per wash if I recall. If the water is really hard of course.

You may find that with a good layer of protection (Hydro or other) and a good drying aid, fiddling with the DI system will be not worth it.

17. Aug 21, 2019 at 12:08 PM
    clenkeit

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    That wouldn't surprise me if it was a couple bucks per wash for an RV, that's a BIG vehicle! For me the engine bays are really my primary concern as it's not practical to coat or dry by hand all the nooks and crannies in there.

18. Aug 24, 2019 at 5:08 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    So 1 month in with the Hydro2 and I thought I'd share my expereinces so far....

1. Still beading water like crazy.
    2. Bug removal on the front of the vehicle is much easier than before.
    3. Bird poo also washes off much easier.
    4. Love the water beading on teh windshield while driving in the rain. Wholey Moley... The water streams off the windsheild from the wind as you drive.
    5. I'm still blown away with how easy it is to apply. Spray on, rinse off, dry.

I've never used a ceramic coating or other type of Si02 sealant, so I don't know how these experieces would compare. I'm assuming they'd be similar.

Will continue to report back as I have info/experiences to share.

pudge151 likes this.
  19. Aug 24, 2019 at 5:37 PM
    pudge151

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    Glad it's working out well for ya. It truly is an amazing product. I have been using it a couple years. While not cheap by any means, its worth every penny.

20. Oct 25, 2019 at 9:31 AM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    3 months now since applying and it's still performing like the day I first put it on.

pudge151 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top