1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

carrier bearing help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 06yoter, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Oct 20, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    06yoter

06yoter [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tampa/ Plant City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Doug Thorley long tubes, flowmasters, URD TCAI, custom dent in the bed from a fence
    so my whole truck shakes and i dont have a ghetto stereo system. ive already replaced the u- joints about 3 months ago with the non-greaseable type from advanced auto parts, and now im almost positive its the carrier bearing now cause i can move the driveshaft up and down. so now the only question is, where do i buy it, and how do i put it on?? Thanks for yalls responses

2. Oct 20, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    tacobox

tacobox Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    Any suspension mods?

3. Oct 20, 2010 at 8:54 AM
    Navigator

Navigator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    17" American Racing Assaults on 265/70/17 Goodyear AT/S, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Toyota Roof Rack, XM install with antenna out 3rd brake light, Red LED Map Lights, AUX Amber LED rocker switch for LED footwell lights, LUND Bug Screen, EXTANG Tri-Fold Tonneau, Hertz Component Speakers w/ TacoTunes Mounts, Infinity Kappa 4 amp, Image Dynamics 10" sub in TacoTunes enclosure, Pop n' Lock, Toyota Aluminum Wedge Running Boards, BHLM, Self Performed '05 Cowl Leak TSB, E-Z Cool Insulation/Sound Deadener applied to floorboard, headliner, and cab bulkhead, 896 Foglight bulbs as backup lights, Weathertechs, Pioneer Double Din, Scan Gauge, AutoSoft Remote Start, 2010 4Runner Heated/Signal/Puddle Mirrors.
    I can move my driveshaft up and down at the carrier bearing as well, and I don't have a vibration.

How stiff should the rubber be around the bearing on a light truck?? I know on the Freightliners at work, as soon as you can move the driveshaft around or you see the rubber starting to break up, it is time for replacement.

4. Oct 20, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    06yoter

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Doug Thorley long tubes, flowmasters, URD TCAI, custom dent in the bed from a fence
    no, just performance. i dont know if its that, but its got to be in the driveline, but man i just replaced the u joints. Has anyone replaced a carrier bearing yet?

5. Oct 20, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    tacobox

tacobox Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    It sounds like axle wrap. One of the down falls from most trucks still using 100 year old technology. A new DSCB more than likely, won't fix your problem. Some members have used a set of $30 helper leafs with good results. Check the link.
    How many miles on your truck BTW?
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198266

6. Oct 20, 2010 at 1:25 PM
    RecklessTaco

RecklessTaco Livin the Dream

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Topaz Lake, Nv.
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab Prerunner TRD Sport Debadged
    ENGAGE LT KIT, King 2.5x 8" coilovers w/600lb 18"coil springs, a custom built leaf pack in the rear by OMD, and a custom built prerunner bumper by SurfInferno. 35x12.50-17General Grabbers on 17x9 Black MB Wheels rims, Volant CAI w/Amsoil dry filter, Volant Ram Air, Poweraid Throttle body spacer, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster40, Uniden Bearcat cb w/ 4' fire fly firestick antenna, & a Icom V80 Handheld(Modded for race channels)
    Dude the last i knew it had to be put on by a Mechanic! You need some kind of press machine to get the old one off and the new one on! the part runs around $200 bucks and it cost me like another $150 to install. Not a cheap job at all!:eek:

7. Oct 20, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    So you have no lift and you've never messed with the rear springs?

8. Oct 20, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non

I dont think you can get just the bearing though. I just had to replace the carrier bearing in the front diff (drivers side) and they did not give me the option of buying the bearing by itself. they are pressed in and dont look like something that can even be changed. I am not too sure about the axle wrap but that sounds like it could be an issue. I have some I know when I take off to hard and turn a bit the rear leafs start bouncing a bit. I am curious what is causing this issue for you. JOE>

9. Oct 20, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    06yoter

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    well it has 111,000 miles. the only thing i have done to the springs is recently pressure wash them with the tires off and spray some spray lube in them to try to fix that horrible squeak.

10. Oct 25, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    gunconnection

gunconnection FFL Gun Dealer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    White Marsh, MD
    Vehicle:
    09TRD Sport Double Cab
    OME 886 Coils and Struts Fabtech Control Arms Custom Made Rear Leaf Springs w/2.5" Blocks Bilstein 5100 rear shocks
    I have only 22K on my '09Tacoma and I am now on my 3rd carrier bearing, but this time I did some research and found a highly recommended drive line shop and a custom frame shop to build me a solution. The solution is a custom built heavy-duty drive shaft with a Ford SuperDuty Carrier bearing along with a custom built heavy-duty cross member. While having the custom drive shaft and carrier bearing built and installed we discovered that the factory cross member was a flimsy P.O.S., so I had a custom cross member built and installed. Both my frame guy and my drive line guy believe that the factory cross member is a weak spot in the Tacoma design and that it's lack of rigidity may be part of the reason the carrier bearing was continually wearing out so quickly.

Products Discussed in

To Top