1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carrier bearing issues

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Other Scott, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Nov 4, 2012 at 3:23 AM
    Other Scott

Other Scott [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mass.
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab V6 SR5
    Bilstien 5100's , 885's, 2.0 aal, and 265/75/16 on TRD wheels. Yellow fogs, fog light anytime mod. 2 meter ham radio, TRD exhaust. LED light bar.
    Was wondering how much play in the carrier bearing is acceptable? Is there a spec for this? I can move mine up and down about .250 inches, the dealer wants $260 for there bearing (bend over!)
    Has anyone had this replaced with and gotten rid of there driveshaft vibrations?
    Or would it be cheaper to have a one piece driveshaft made?

2. Nov 4, 2012 at 4:38 AM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners
    Seach: Center support bearing replacement.
    One option is to replace it with a pillow block.

3. Feb 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    Did you ever replace the carrier bearing? Where and how much did you pay for it?

I think mine is shot because over about 1 week, it's been making a chirping noise that has gotten progressively worse. The Mechanic I took it to says he believes it's that.

4. Feb 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    Other Scott

Member:
    Mass.
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab V6 SR5
    Bilstien 5100's , 885's, 2.0 aal, and 265/75/16 on TRD wheels. Yellow fogs, fog light anytime mod. 2 meter ham radio, TRD exhaust. LED light bar.
    Nope, dealer told me it was not the problem. After paying for two hours of labor they still don't know where the vibration is coming from, not so much a vibration as a grouwing noise coming from the front diff. I think I'll do the drivers side needle Bearing replacement in the spring.

5. Aug 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    KY07TACO

KY07TACO Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Dbl cab 4x4 with towing package
    I just ordered a carrier bearing from Advanced Auto parts for $68. Will take two to three days for delivery. I also bought new u-joints because the one right behind the carrier bearing is shot and while I have the drive shaft out I am going to replace them all.

6. Aug 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    KY07TACO

KY07TACO Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Dbl cab 4x4 with towing package
    Well I took the drive shaft out of my truck only to find that the yoke on the front shaft is broke. A chunk fell out of it when I rolled it out from under the truck. I called Toyota and they will do nothing about it because my warranty just expired. They don't sell the yoke separate either. I had to go straight to Spicer and order a yoke. $50 what a deal compared to $850 for the drive shaft.

7. Aug 7, 2013 at 4:20 PM
    Other Scott

Member:
    Mass.
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab V6 SR5
    I never did replace mine. I did swap out the front spring for 885's and lowers the bilstiens to .o , AAL went in the rear. I got new tires and wheels, Toyo open country at 2's. the humming of the tires kinda drowns out the growling noise, but I'm sure it is still there. Planning on doing the east coast gear supply bushing next month.

image.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top