1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carry with a chambered round???

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by cgs2k2, Feb 22, 2013.

?

do you keep a round chambered when you carry?

1. Yes - keep one chambered

717 vote(s)
    84.1%
  2. No - i don't (post your reasoning)

136 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. May 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    teamamerica

teamamerica Get off your horse and drink your milk.

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    No, it's not that modern firearms "will not" fire if dropped, it's modern firearms shouldnt go off if dropped, there is more then enough evidence and stories out there that show it can happen. Obviously properly maintained still have less of a chance, but any firearm has the possibility. Whether you want to take that risk or not is your personal choice. Yes, you can shoot a target faster without cocking the weapon first, but it's all a matter of your comfort level. Some people conceal carry everyday and don't like one in the tube. If he's not comfortable with it, then he is makin the right choice by not doing it. He has every right to still carry a firearm if that is what he wishes. By "pre cocking" he meant that he keeps the firing pin under pressure without one in the tube because he feels it's easier to then charge the slide with just loading a round, and not loading a round and cocking the firing pin at the same time. Whether it's right or wrong, I'm not sure. But to each his own. Better too safe then out of his comfort level.

2. May 15, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Firing pin under pressure or not in a striker fired pistol doesn't change how hard it is to rack the slide...I don't know what he's talking about there.

The slide return/recoil spring is what determines the ease of racking, not the pressure on the firing pin.

This statement alone shows he's not well acquainted with either A: firearms in general, or B: striker fired weapons.

3. May 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    teamamerica

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    You're probably right (I don't know personally, it's never something I've tried out on mine, I've always had a ruger p95 until recently.) but you don't need to know the complete workings of something to use it, think of al the people who drive cars but don't know how exactly internal combustion engines work? They know how to properly operate it, but everything inside is a mystery. I'm not saying it's good to not know how it properly operates 100%, but you got to start somewhere.

4. May 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Think of all the people that operate cars and have no idea that it needs oil, that it needs maintenance. Internal combustion isn't something a vehicle owner needs to know, but the simple shit like keeping it working is. :rolleyes:

These people that don't know their car needs an oil change will come to a mechanic shop and be like WHY IS MY CAR BROKEN!!!??? OMG!!! :p

5. May 15, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    RevAdam

RevAdam Impressive Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    The problem is he's making a claim of "it works like this, so that" using wrong information.

You kinda need to know how your firearm operates in order to run it. It's like hopping in a standard transmission car and not knowing you need to use the clutch.

6. May 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    I've been around firearms all my life. I have a .38 revolver that I carry on occasion but always leave the hammer cylinder empty.
    Meanwhile, I went hunting in Florida this winter and was appalled that the owner of the ranch carried a sidearm fully cocked and locked. Why???

7. May 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    RevAdam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    Most modern firearms have firing pin blocks. Others have stronger springs, super light firing pins, designs that prevent sear drops without positive pressure on the trigger.

Most of the stories you read are displays of not accepting personal responsibility for their actions, and when further investigated, someone did something to fire that weapon.

The firing pin isn't under no kind of pressure until you pull the trigger. The trigger pull in a striker fired weapon is Double Action. You both are cocking the gun and firing it with the stroke of the trigger.

Just because you have the right to do something, doesn't make it a good idea to do it without training. Take skydiving for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ENZioGLjMI

8. May 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM
    teamamerica

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    no, it's more indepth, it's not that he doesnt know how to fire the gun (drive a car), it's that he misunderstands the action of the "flywheel" in the clutch, just becasue you misunderstand a part of it, does not mean you cannot use it.

9. May 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    teamamerica

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    no, you're wrong, charging the weapon either partially or fully puts tension on the "striker", with trigger pull adding some additional pressure on the striker on some models. it's nothing like a double action, i have my M&P right now pulling the trigger, and it only went click the first time, no additional. you obviously need better "training". every gun is different on how it tensions the striker, some may be double acton, but striker fired pistols are not double action in nature. i'm done with this debate as everyone who has commented obviously has something to learn, to include myself.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  10. May 15, 2013 at 4:04 PM
    bigtaco06

bigtaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    Floor mats, shorty antenna, brute force hybrid front bumper, ICON stage 3, method double standards, 285/75/16 KM2's, cool stickers
    That’s how many 1911 owners carry their pistol, and for sure the ones I know??? :confused:Or live round in the chamber hammer down because it's double action? Why do you think glocks or any striker fired weapons where designed WITHOUT a thumb safety (I know some M&P's and other brands have thumb safeties)? Why do you think police carry in condition 1, as well as military? You have to look at the facts, almost every encounter will happen at less than seven feet. Have you ever heard of a reactionary gap? 6 feet is what you need to react to an assailant advancing towards you and 21 feet if you are trying to unholster and actually have time to aim and react with a weapon. These are FACTS. I learned this through Military Police training and multiple self defense classes/High Risk Response classes. Educate yourself and at minimum watch a video or two of a Combat handgun course. Be real, if you are ever in some type of situation that you have to defend yourself it's thats considered COMBAT so equip yourself with the best odds to overcome a threat. You are carrying your pistol for a reason, and that reason is not to point it at someone to deter them (although that could happen in some situations.) If you can't justify you are carrying to deploy a handgun, if needed, than you shouldn't be. And you left a chamber empty on a revolver? You basically lessened your ammo capacity for percieved saftey, on a weapon that has one of the sturdiest double actions (single actions in some case)known to fire arms? The phrase "I've been around fire arms all my life" doesn't give you any credit in a deadly force encounter. Sorry, I tried to be nice at first but, this thread is filled with false and ill-advised info. I'm out y'all.

11. May 15, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

My 1911 cocked n locked all day long.

12. May 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    EDIT. I stand corrected on the DAO/SAO BS.

13. May 15, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    RevAdam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Glocks and M&Ps are DAO striker fired weapons.

The "precock" is to keep the firing pin out of the chamber, not to ease the slide motion. It doesn't really change the effort in racking the slide..

14. May 15, 2013 at 5:04 PM
    teamamerica

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    As I stated earlier, m&p is not double action. It only goes click the first time the trigger is pulled unless the slide is re-racked.:crazy:

15. May 15, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    RevAdam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Double Action and Single Action do not dictate what the slide does, but what the trigger does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_(firearms)#Single-action

16. May 15, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    teamamerica

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    i'll give that one to you i suppose, they claim Double Action because "racking the slide does 98% of tension on the striker, and the trigger firing does 2%" cheating in my book, but oh well.

17. May 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    RevAdam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4

The tension on the striker spring isn't going to really affect the force required to operate the slide when we're talking 18-22# mainsprings. It's a wee lil bitty spring that operates the striker. Almost like a pen spring. It's not anything like pulling the hammer back on a 1911 and having the slide almost too easy to stroke.

As far as dropping, punting, throwing the gun, it's almost impossible to fire a weapon without pulling the trigger these days. Even the venerable 1911 has had a firing pin block for 30 years.... (Series 80 guns came out in 83.)

18. May 15, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Why? Modern revolvers use a transfer bar safety that is lifted in front of the firing pin when the trigger is pulled.
    Pull the hammer back, then while holding it, pull the trigger and watch it come up. If you release the trigger before you drop the hammer, the transfer bar will drop out of the way and the hammer CAN NOT make contact with the firing pin.

The "hammer on an empty chamber" comes from older single action "cowboy" guns that did not have the transfer bar safety. THEY could fire if dropped on the hammer. A modern revolver? You can pound on that hammer with a brick all day and it won't fire.
    Why not? He's the owner of the ranch, and assuming that he is carrying for protection from animals, they are not going to wait for him to chamber a round.

It is safe if done properly. Cocked and locked implies the safety is on... the 1911 was designed to be carried this way. The safety locks the trigger and the slide. There is also a passive grip safety... the trigger getting snagged on something won't fire without the grip safety being depressed. Even my 1917-made Colt 1903 has this feature.
    The 92FS de-cocks when placed on safe.
    Striker-fired guns typically have no manual safety, but like a revolver, they generally have an automatic safety that requires a trigger pull, or in the case of the Springfield XD, pull the trigger AND depress the grip safety.

19. May 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM
    johnnychimpo711

johnnychimpo711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    23 PreRunner SR5
    Removed the dealer tag holder…that’s it.
    Always have a round chambered. Love my 1911!

20. May 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    JOHNNY CHIMPO YESSSSSS! Love it.

I carry my Kahr chambered too, just to be on topic...

Products Discussed in

To Top