1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carry with a chambered round???

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by cgs2k2, Feb 22, 2013.

?

do you keep a round chambered when you carry?

1. Yes - keep one chambered

700 vote(s)
    83.8%
  2. No - i don't (post your reasoning)

135 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. Jan 17, 2014 at 3:42 PM
    DiamondBackMatt

DiamondBackMatt TacoMatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    California
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road Expedition
    CURRENT VEHICLE & EXPEDITION EQUIPMENT -ARB Old Man Emu Heavy Duty Suspension + AAL/Dakars - BFG Tires Mud Terrain KM2's, 255/85R16's -Wheels Toyota TRD Alloys -ARB Deluxe Bull Bar w/ARB fogs (Gen II) wired to OEM fog switch -Warn 9.5 XP winch -Rigid Industries E2 10” LED Combo Light Bar =Specter+Hyper-Spot+Driving -BAMF 80” 1.75’ .120 wall DOM bent, fully welded 2”x2” sq.tube rock sliders -CBIOffRoad Trail Ryder 2.0 Rear Bumper +Jerry Can Holder, fold up camp table, telescopic light. - Quick Fist Shovel and Fire Extinguisher mounts for rear bumper -BudBuilt 4 pc, Skid plates: Front, Mid, T-case, Cross member -Rear Diff breather extension -SnugPro Bed Cap, lined inside + Kargo Master 500lb rack -Cascadia Vehicle Tent Mt. Shasta + annex and floor -Outback Solutions 53” RD1355 drawers stacked w/ RDRF1355 roller floor driver side -Outback Solutions 41” RDRF1045 roller drawer w/ roller floor passenger side -ARB 50qt Fridge Freezer w/ tie down kit
  2. Jan 17, 2014 at 3:45 PM
    DiamondBackMatt

DiamondBackMatt TacoMatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    California
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road Expedition
    CURRENT VEHICLE & EXPEDITION EQUIPMENT -ARB Old Man Emu Heavy Duty Suspension + AAL/Dakars - BFG Tires Mud Terrain KM2's, 255/85R16's -Wheels Toyota TRD Alloys -ARB Deluxe Bull Bar w/ARB fogs (Gen II) wired to OEM fog switch -Warn 9.5 XP winch -Rigid Industries E2 10” LED Combo Light Bar =Specter+Hyper-Spot+Driving -BAMF 80” 1.75’ .120 wall DOM bent, fully welded 2”x2” sq.tube rock sliders -CBIOffRoad Trail Ryder 2.0 Rear Bumper +Jerry Can Holder, fold up camp table, telescopic light. - Quick Fist Shovel and Fire Extinguisher mounts for rear bumper -BudBuilt 4 pc, Skid plates: Front, Mid, T-case, Cross member -Rear Diff breather extension -SnugPro Bed Cap, lined inside + Kargo Master 500lb rack -Cascadia Vehicle Tent Mt. Shasta + annex and floor -Outback Solutions 53” RD1355 drawers stacked w/ RDRF1355 roller floor driver side -Outback Solutions 41” RDRF1045 roller drawer w/ roller floor passenger side -ARB 50qt Fridge Freezer w/ tie down kit
    I was kidding of course.

Tough crowd

3. Jan 29, 2014 at 11:40 AM
    whopper

whopper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    wayne
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma 4x4 double cab
    in progress
    that's rite chad one in the pipe at all times

4. Jan 29, 2014 at 11:41 AM
    4runnercaged

4runnercaged Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cody
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    LOL
    98 toyota tacoma, stock
    i only carry with 1 chambered if the gun i am using has a safety.

5. Jan 29, 2014 at 11:44 AM
    Paleus

Paleus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB TSS 4x4
    I am not aware of any modern autoloading handguns that don't have safeties or a very long, heavy DA only trigger.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  6. Jan 29, 2014 at 11:51 AM
    Lou Slink

Lou Slink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Catskill, NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Depends on what I'm carrying. My Sig P229, yes. My Kel-Tec P3AT, no. There's no safety or de-cock.

7. Jan 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM
    signalbobby

signalbobby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD O/R
    no round chambered. If you are carrying holstered and getting into situations to have to send lead down range without chambering, is typically LEO or military. Having a loaded weapon, mentally should have situational awareness and scan to get focused.

Some states will see having a chambered round negatively at the same time seeing that you chambered a round also negative. its all opinions and personal preference, but for testosterone fueled beings, best idea is to keep it not chambered. It gives all of you another chance to think what you are doing before chambering, changing selector switch and pulling the trigger.

8. Jan 29, 2014 at 11:59 AM
    Paleus

Paleus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB TSS 4x4
    So you would never carry a revolver? I've never seen a revolver with a manual safety. The P3AT has a very long, heavy trigger pull like a DA revolver. I would say there is even more reason to carry a small pistol like a P3AT in condition 1, it will be much more difficult to grab and rack the slide of a very small pistol than a full size under stress.

Completely disagree. No matter how aware I am there is still the chance that I can be caught off guard and not have time to chamber a round. Or, I might not have the ability to use my off-hand due to either injury or already being in physical contact with the threat.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  9. Jan 29, 2014 at 12:20 PM
    signalbobby

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD O/R
    This is reality and this is life. You will NEVER always be prepared. I agree anyone can be caught off guard and could be in a situation where you needed that split second to chamber a round. Firing a round at an assailant is the LAST decision in a self-defense you want to do .

If you get yourself into a hand to hand, either of you can gain control of the firearm and unload the round. Better to know if the assailant grabs the weapon and knows not that it is not chambered.

Been through 2 different advanced CCW classes, they can only offer best educated advice which I got mixed replies. There is no solid answer to anything.

On base, our unit did not chamber a round other than during movement, again which is situational.

Just my 2 cents.

10. Jan 29, 2014 at 12:58 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    What do you mean by that?

11. Jan 29, 2014 at 1:03 PM
    maju

maju Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    10 DC Silver TRD Sport 4x4
    Undercover tonneau, Scangauge II, Garmin GPS, Michelin LTX M/S2
    I think he means...

1. If it was just a simple assault you have drastically changed the game.

2. Weather you kill the person or not you will be treated as a criminal. maybe just a few hours or maybe a few years.

12. Jan 29, 2014 at 1:05 PM
    Traviste

Traviste If you can't duct it...Fuck it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD OFF-ROAD
    Click the pic to see my build
    Always carry one in the pipe ready to fire
    Either glock 23 .40 with ranger to ammo
    Glock 30 .45 with ranger t ammo
    Or sw air weight .38 (revolver)

13. Jan 29, 2014 at 1:47 PM
    signalbobby

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD O/R
    There's a crap ton of red tape state by state, then media etc. You let it off and become GZ.

Having it chambered mentally makes it one step closer to pulling the trigger because it has enabled you to take that step.

It should be the LAST resort when you have exhausted everything else.

Again this is my personal opinion and experience.

14. Jan 29, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    signalbobby

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD O/R
    If LEO keeps making mistakes in these situations, imagine what kind of fire civilians would be in. You don't have the backing of the governing body you enforce.

Just recently, Pinal County Sheriff shoots unarmed man.
    http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2014/01/video_pinal_county_sheriffs_de.php

http://www.azcentral.com/community/...hard-chrisman-murder-trial-timeline-prog.html
    Officer Richard Chrisman

15. Jan 29, 2014 at 1:56 PM
    SpeedoJosh

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Yea. If you're pulling out your gun, it's probably b/c you need to use it. Time wasted messing around with getting it ready is easily enough time for an attacker with a weapon to get the first hit in. Maybe you'll be lucky and just have damage to your non-firing side and be able to get away to get a round in the chamber and get a shot off before he's on you again.
    When you have a dude jump you, good luck pulling your gun out and loading a round while fighting him off at the same time. Maybe you're lucky and have three arms. I only have two, and I know I'll need at least one to hold back an attacker and at least one to draw and shoot.

16. Jan 29, 2014 at 2:01 PM
    Traviste

Traviste If you can't duct it...Fuck it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD OFF-ROAD
    Click the pic to see my build
    Also no matter how calm and cool you will think you will be. Adrenaline will be flowing and adding an extra step to save you life is one more thing you can screw up.

17. Jan 29, 2014 at 2:33 PM
    SpeedoJosh

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Yep, especially if the attacker has the element of surprise.

I think people either underestimate the time it takes for someone to close a gap of 20-40ft, or are overestimating their ability to draw, chamber, aim, and shoot under stressful circumstances.

18. Jan 29, 2014 at 2:42 PM
    samsquamch1981

samsquamch1981 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Always 1 in the chamber for me. That extra second it takes to chamber a round could be life or death imo....

19. Jan 29, 2014 at 8:52 PM
    signalbobby

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD O/R
    You missed the point which reiterates that majority of you will not make evaluated decisions that lead to a positive outcome. A poster earlier in which deterred an attack without drawing was a good example of an educated and thought out process.

Many of you try to find ways to legitimize chambering and listing "what if" situations and responses which continue to emphasize point above.

The poster replying about having adrenaline pumping which further emphasizes chambering tends to follow with a poorly thought out reaction. Another underestimating of time to act under stressful situations; again would you be able to asses to make a decision to draw, aim, change selector switch and fire? (without the risk of the DA charging you)

Those that are running the beats, active leo or deployed soldiers is where I would like to hear feedback from honestly where they are faced with frequent situations. (Which I doubt willreply)

Bottom line, everyone's entitled to their own opinion which I don't feel kosher with many replies. I have family to protect and make my decisions based on what I conclude is best.

20. Jan 29, 2014 at 10:22 PM
    SpeedoJosh

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    I did law enforcement for a couple years, we carried M9s, and you always had a round chamber with the safety off (lever up). I assume all law enforcement carry with a round in the chamber when working.

Also have an infantry MOS. Same story, wether carrying the M9 or glock, you have a round in the chamber. M9 safety lever up, glock has the trigger safety.
    M4, round in the chamber, selector switch on safe. Which you instinctively rotate from safe to semi when you bring the weapon up.

You can carry how you like, but you can't make any type of argument that a weapon without a chambered round is as effective/useful as one with a round in the chamber. The only time they are comparable is once that round is in the chamber, (assuming both weapon and ammo are in working order). Then the only variable is the ability of the person carrying.

To Top