1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carry with a chambered round???

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by cgs2k2, Feb 22, 2013.

?

do you keep a round chambered when you carry?

1. Yes - keep one chambered

717 vote(s)
    84.1%
  2. No - i don't (post your reasoning)

136 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. Jan 30, 2014 at 11:53 AM
    Lou Slink

Lou Slink I like daags...

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Catskill, NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR DCSB
    OME 886's, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakar's, BFG KO2's on Method Race Mesh Wheels, Bunch of All-Pro Goodies, Warn Zeon 10S Winch

2. Jan 30, 2014 at 12:13 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Quoted for truth.

3. Jan 30, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    You're*
    aren't*
    :p

4. Jan 30, 2014 at 12:22 PM
    SpeedoJosh

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    That's stupid. Not saying you are, but the SOP.
    I assume you guys weren't the first line of defense. Even still though, I would rather know everything, up to firing, was in working order.

5. Jan 30, 2014 at 2:17 PM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    All the agencies in my area leave all long guns "cruiser ready". Nothing in the chamber. If/when the rifle/shotgun gets pulled, a round is chambered. My duty weapon ALWAYS has a round chambered, same for my backup gun.

6. Jan 30, 2014 at 3:17 PM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    I carry chambered just to be clear. I also agree with you because that's kinda where I was going with that statement. You pull out a gun whether chambered or not and point it at someone, that's imminent use of deadly physical force.
    So be ready for the consequences... And I'm not saying you personally, just in general.

Like I said earlier, this whole chambered round/un-chambered round shouldn't be debatable. You have a gun, it takes ammo, put ammo in it, period.
    Their are a lot of "hot heads" or people that love the idea of carrying a gun and showing it off. That's the issue. It makes them feel big and they like the attention. When I carry (off-duty) it's concealed and not even thought about unless I need it. No one should know it's there and it shouldn't be talked about. It should NOT be taken out unless you're going to fire it or put it in a locker.
    Anyone responsible enough to carry/have a gun should have no issues with a chambered round. Anyone NOT responsible enough shouldn't have the gun in the first place and that's when you will have an issue of someone getting hurt or killed.

7. Jan 30, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    teneighty

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    That's because, depending on the model, the firing pin slides freely and can hit the primer from abrupt movements or impacts.

8. Jan 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    jspansel

jspansel Just duct tape it

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Central OR
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 Xtra Cab Tacoma, 5 Speed, 4x4, Lifted
    5100s front at 2.5" with Moog replacement springs, 5100s in rear with 2" Wheeler's AAL
    G26 always chambered.

9. Jan 30, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    teneighty

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    /end thread

10. Jan 30, 2014 at 3:30 PM
    Lou Slink

Lou Slink I like daags...

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Catskill, NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR DCSB
    OME 886's, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakar's, BFG KO2's on Method Race Mesh Wheels, Bunch of All-Pro Goodies, Warn Zeon 10S Winch
    So I see! Hahaha!

11. Jan 30, 2014 at 3:31 PM
    jspansel

jspansel Just duct tape it

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Central OR
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 Xtra Cab Tacoma, 5 Speed, 4x4, Lifted
    5100s front at 2.5" with Moog replacement springs, 5100s in rear with 2" Wheeler's AAL
    Keep your booger hook off the boom button! :D

12. Jan 30, 2014 at 3:40 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    I can say that there's at least 584 TW members that I'll take to a gun fight...

:cool:

13. Jan 30, 2014 at 4:59 PM
    SpeedoJosh

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    I can understand US law enforcement not having a round in their M4s, b/c it's sitting in the car, and isn't the first line of defense. Plus sitting in the car, it is safe from the elements, so unless they neglected to do a function check, it should chamber the round without issue, and shoot when switched to Pew.
    A soldier pulling guard is usually carrying/slinging an M4 as their weapon, so it needs to be ready to go. It's exposed to wherever the dude is walking around. Sand/mud is a bitch. Hell, I've had misfeeds on the first round at a range due to shit getting on the mag, just a shit mag, or combo of both. Not usual, but I'd rather know I have a round ready to go, then rely on the fact that the first round should go in smoothly.

I know we can "what if" and "hypothetic situation" this all day. I prefer to take all the "what if's" away that I can before Pew time.

14. Jan 31, 2014 at 4:30 AM
    TJBJ11

TJBJ11 Town Drunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 AC Offroad Barcelona Red
    black TRD OR bedside decals, trd exhaust, tailgate clamped, CB
    I trust having my mossberg without a chambered shell. I know that if i need to rack it, it will chamber.

I trust not having a round chambered in my AR. I know that if I rack it, it will chamber.

Racking a 12 gauge or AR will make a loud, recognizable sound. If i'm using these weapons for self defense, I'm certain that I'm not trying to be discreet anymore.

I do NOT trust my glock not being chambered. Besides, have you ever tried to chamber a round in a semi auto? of course you have. Its not quiet if you do it like you're supposed to, and its not practical or trustworthy if you ride the slide forward to be quiet about it. I'd rather be confident, discreet, and tactical than anything else with my side arm.

15. Feb 1, 2014 at 6:26 AM
    anarion55

anarion55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    S. Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner SR5
    ImMrYo's Mirror Mod, Stereo Upgrade - Power Pro 60x4 Amp/Kicker powered 8" sub/Pioneer component speakers, PassPort 8500 Radar Detector, Locking Bed Storage Cubbies, Onboard air system - Viair 450C compressor/16 gal. PVC tank/15 & 16" horns, quick-d/c air chuck in bed cubby 24" LED light Bar (mounted to skidplate)A Headlights, foglights interior lights and backup lights all converted to LED (HUGE difference)
    In addition to that first "reliable" round, if there IS minor fouling or gunk in the action, the recoil could very well clear it.

A pump gun will almost ALWAYS chamber a round, since it has your muscle power doing it, and not recoil or gas, which might not be sufficient if there is any resistance. I'm presuming that your Mossberg is one of the ubiquitous (and completely satisfactory) 500 series guns.

The AR, on the other hand, relies on its action spring to return the bolt carrier assembly to battery (although a good shove on the Forward Bolt Assist will usually get troublesome feeds corrected). Not as much a sure thing as the pump shotgun.

As for cycling ("racking") the slide; yes it is a distinctive (and frightening) sound, but it also could give away any tactical advantage you may have. Surprise, concealment, and stealth are all force multipliers.

16. Feb 1, 2014 at 5:38 PM
    Hunter.V.White

Hunter.V.White Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Pelfreybilt Steel Armor, Famous Fabrication Sliders, OME 3" Lift, 886x coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, TC UCA's, Fuel D551 Wheels, 285/70/R17 Toyo Tech RTs, Warn Zeon 10s Winch, Rigid Industries 20" E2 Flood, RI 20" SR Spot/flood, RI Duallys, SwitchPro SP8100, Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio.
    I couldn't agree more. My military training, civilian training, knowledge of the handguns I carry on a daily basis, and continual research/study of the concealed carry lifestyle all support the arguments made in this post.

17. Feb 1, 2014 at 7:46 PM
    TJBJ11

TJBJ11 Town Drunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    Just wanna know... Speaking of carrying... Is there a poll/ pros and cons thread on carry ammo and defensive ammo? There are so many options now and I'm going to be lost in the sauce when I start carrying my 9... The BS thread changes topic too much and I want to know what everyone else knows, because apparently y'all carry as well.

18. Feb 1, 2014 at 8:47 PM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Not sure on your question. Are you asking if there are pros / cons to using defensive branded ammo over cheap(er) FMJ ammo?

If so, the quick and dirty...

Cons: Usually a little bit hotter. If you're sensitive to recoil with your carry gun, it can be a bit snappier with +P ammunition. The projectile is usually a lighter hollow point round as well. That will increase velocity and recoil some. Practice with the ammo you will be carrying. It may not feel any different to you at all. It may make it really un-enjoyable to shoot your gun.

Pros: Ammo is designed to be used in self-defense situations. It's made to expand and expel more force on the target, and not pass through soft tissue. Some are also designed not to pass through barriers as well, so you don't shoot your neighbor through 3 of your interior walls.

Non of this information is universal though. You have to compare each cartridge design to that of the other you are considering.

19. Feb 1, 2014 at 8:50 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    Carry whatever you chose, and loaded w/whatever you can find.
    Pray you never need to use the tool.
    If by slim chance you need to use such a tool, may your aim be true and the state on your side.

20. Feb 1, 2014 at 8:56 PM
    TJBJ11

TJBJ11 Town Drunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:

No, I meant just which defensive loads people carry every day. I only carried FMJ while deployed due to the Geneva convention, but that doesn't apply stateside. I just wanna know peoples experiences with different companies and stats. I like to get a LEO's opinion too...

Products Discussed in

To Top