1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carry with a chambered round???

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by cgs2k2, Feb 22, 2013.

?

do you keep a round chambered when you carry?

1. Yes - keep one chambered

717 vote(s)
    84.1%
  2. No - i don't (post your reasoning)

136 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. Mar 30, 2014 at 12:09 AM
    ArmyofMike

ArmyofMike Wannabe

Member:
    If you are NOT comfortable with loaded carry, make sure you Practice that way...

Therefore, draw, rack, aim, fire....

Now try to draw, rack, aim, fire with your shooting hand/arm compromised-let's say the bad guy slashed your dominant hand/arm with a knife. Gets harder, and slower huh....

Now try to draw, rack, aim, fire with your non-dominant hand-let's say your dominant hand is completely useless from a gunshot, knife wound or breakage...

Now, try to draw, rack, aim, fire from on your back, on the ground-let's say the bad guy gotta a sucker punch on your or you stumbled dodging his knife, crowbar etc...

Now, try to draw, rack, aim, fire from on your back, on the ground with your non-dominant hand........

See where I'm going with this? NOT having to rack/chamber a round may only take 1-2 seconds longer in a fair weather situation, but add in one or two I'll weather variants and it becomes VERY hard....

Carry locked and loaded....once you are comfortable and have trained with your CC <----which should have occurred BEFORE you received your license and the GREAT responsibility that comes with it....

2. Mar 30, 2014 at 12:17 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Or simply with your non-dominant hand/arm in front of you defending an attack from a club or knife.

3. Mar 30, 2014 at 12:21 AM
    ArmyofMike

ArmyofMike Wannabe

Member:
    Soooooo, how does one rack their gun in this situation?? :rolleyes:

That's right, I always forget "the Force!". ....or you could just throw your piece at them!!! Ka-chow!

4. Mar 30, 2014 at 12:25 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    There's a reason I replaced the FLGR on my 1911 with a GI rod and plug.

It can be racked on the edge of a table, brick, or heel of a dress shoe or boot ;)

The Glock and XD? Can be done, but you need to use the front sight, so now the fixed object has to have a solid and sharp edge to hook on.

5. Mar 30, 2014 at 12:32 AM
    ArmyofMike

ArmyofMike Wannabe

Member:
    Do you practice racking your 1911 slide in THAT manner at the range or a shooting area? Such as on the range table, a boot/shoe or post?? My guess is no...but I could be wrong.

Trying to rack a round doing this is harder than on might imagine or seen in a movie. AND the likelihood of a failure to load, or worse off for a plasti-gun having a negligent discharge are greater.

6. Mar 30, 2014 at 12:45 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I've done it a few times, don't do it regularly, but then again, every gun in my home except for the ARs is loaded and chambered at all times.

7. Mar 30, 2014 at 12:49 AM
    ArmyofMike

ArmyofMike Wannabe

Member:
    :quickdraw:

8. Mar 30, 2014 at 4:20 PM
    Licoln Burrows

Licoln Burrows Member

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    at the dealer
    :confused: I have never heard of anyone using the front sight as a leverage point for single hand manipulation.

9. Mar 30, 2014 at 4:24 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I can rack my G19 by the rear sight. The sights aren't stock plastic ones though.

10. Mar 30, 2014 at 4:54 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    You do what you have to do.
    It works, but there's a risk of damaging the sight, especially the stock Glock site.

But when shit hits the fan, having a functional gun is more important than having a front sight.

11. Mar 30, 2014 at 11:32 PM
    Licoln Burrows

Licoln Burrows Member

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    at the dealer

I have always trained (and those around me) to use the rear sight as the leverage point was why I inquired. I have steel suppressor sights so never been concerned with breaking when I've practiced doing it.

12. Apr 1, 2014 at 1:06 AM
    Licoln Burrows

Licoln Burrows Member

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    at the dealer
  13. Apr 18, 2014 at 5:04 AM
    tacoglock19

tacoglock19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    2019 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Stock as shit!
    I carry my Glock(s) locked and loaded. I use a MIC holster. It does not allow the trigger to be engaged until you have pulled it to nearly a 45 degree angle away from your body. At that point the cover snaps off of the trigger guard. It is nearly impossible to AD/ND the gun when drawing while using this holster. I love it. It is compact and ONLY covers the trigger and guard. It takes a little practice to learn the pull that makes it snap off but once you get it you will be a self defense machine.

14. Jun 8, 2014 at 6:05 AM
    TXPROMAN

TXPROMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO TACOMA
    do you keep a round chambered while you carry?
    Yes. If you carry for self defense. You don't have time for chambering a round. I have train by one of the best Firearms Consultant and Trainer there is. Jim Cirillo you find lots of web sites on him. He had more real shoot out's and kill's as a police officer. We work out sometimes two days a week together for years. I Miss not having him around anymore.

15. Jun 8, 2014 at 6:24 AM
    TXPROMAN

TXPROMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO TACOMA
    Police Officer, NYPD, for 23 years. Retired.
    •Served in the Stakeout Squad with the NYPD from 1967 until 1973.
    •From 1976 until 1981 was the Chief Firearms Trainer with the U.S. Customs Department, Region II.
    •From 1981 until 1991 was one of the Lead Firearm Instructors for the U.S.
    •Treasury Department at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.
    •Jim won numerous awards from the U.S. Department of the Treasury concerning firearm course design and training for Treasury Agents. His firearm techniques and courses have been adopted across the nation.
    •Nominated as one of the Top 10 Handgunners in the United States.
    •Recipient of the NYPD Honor of Legion Award, which is bestowed on a NY Police Officer for having been in one or more gunfights. Jim had many such commendations.
    •Awarded the Queens County, New York, District Attorney's Award for Outstanding Heroism.
    •Four time State Champion in Police Combat Shooting.
    •Served on the Emergency Service Unit of the NYPD while also serving on the elite NYPD Stakeout Squad.
    •Holds several U.S. Patents regarding Police and Firearms related equipment.
    •Co-holder of the National Record for Pistol Shooting at 25 yards.
    •Winner of the NRA Distinguished Police Combat Medal, number 11.
    •Author of many articles concerning firearms and survival combat shooting, as well as having had many such articles written about him and his unique combat shooting style.
    •Videos: Jim Cirillo - "Modern Day Gunfighter." "Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights."
    •Won the President's Medal for Police Combat Shooting.
    •One of the contributors to the Police Text Book entitled SEARCH FOR AN EFFECTIVE POLICE HANDGUN, by Professor Allen Bristow.
    •Author of GUNS, BULLETS, AND GUNFIGHTS published by Paladin Press.

16. Jun 22, 2014 at 6:20 PM
    telejojo

telejojo Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Huntsville AL.
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    I carry a revolver and loaded and I know it will shoot.I love auto's but I don't want to wonder if there is one in the chamber or jamming in a life or death situation.

17. Jul 14, 2014 at 7:59 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    If you keep one in the chamber you don't have to worry about whether or not there is one. I don't worry about the ground being there because it always is :)

FWIW I've had *maybe* 3 ftf in a billion or so rounds of training, all cleared in a fraction of a second. I've had exactly 1 failure in a revolver, maybe 1000 rounds of wheelgun time. It took 2 weeks and some tools to fix :laugh: No tool is 100% perfect.

18. Jul 14, 2014 at 8:01 AM
    gravedgr

gravedgr dirty Ford driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 DCSB TRD Off Road (Blue) - gone
    Method Racing Mesh wheels (17x8.5), Cooper ST Maxx tires (285/70/17), Toytec Ultimate lift (3"), Wet Okole seat covers, WT mats, Gemtex mirror, CF stubby antenna, scoop hood, painted grill surround, SOS bumper, SOS bed rack, Tepui Autana RTT, Engo 10k winch, bed lights, under hood lights, diff breather, 12v bed socket, 31M battery + battery monitor
    Unloaded gun = tactical hammer (and not a very good one)

19. Jul 14, 2014 at 8:04 AM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    If your gun's not loaded then you're just as safe carrying a pocket full of rocks to throw at bad guys.

20. Jul 15, 2014 at 7:27 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    You'd be safer carrying the rocks.

The bad guys can't steal your rocks, load them, and shoot you with them.
    They can only throw them back.

Products Discussed in

To Top