1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carry with a chambered round???

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by cgs2k2, Feb 22, 2013.

?

do you keep a round chambered when you carry?

1. Yes - keep one chambered

717 vote(s)
    84.1%
  2. No - i don't (post your reasoning)

136 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. Feb 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Meh...my main off duty carry is a smith jframe...no racking slide or anything like that

This whole mentality of having "enough" time to rack a slide before the attack comes is interesting to me...

For those of you who do carry without one in the chamber try this drill

Have a buddy stand approx 30 ft from you...your gun in your normal carry (no cheating)...have your buddy surprise charge you as if with a knife...it is VERY difficult to draw and fire in the amount of time it takes someone to cover 30 ft who is dead set on attacking you. Once you figure out that racking the slide adds an extra step that you don't need in what may very well be the fight for your life...look into defensive tactics such as Spear...they focus on the fight/flee reactions and have all kinds of useful tactics that can delay or stop an attack long enough to draw, shove the gun into your attackers chest and fire off every single round in your gun

Sure it's nice to THINK that you'll have that second to rack a slide, but here in the real world...those threats you may actually need the gun for are looking for the element of surprise and when you are startled your motor skills go out the window

Put one in the chamber...carry a gun on one side and a knife on the other...train to survive...this is a fight for your life!

2. Feb 22, 2013 at 10:38 PM
    rickmeseke

rickmeseke subaru of america

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    i look at it this way, i carry chambered with my pf9 (no safety)

i would rather risk accidently shoot myself in the leg/foot whatever it is trying to pull my gun out rather then not have enough time to pull the slide back in a predicament and risk dying.

3. Feb 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM
    Johnsredline

Johnsredline Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Las Vegas
    Barcelona Red- Method Double Standards, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N intake, black headlights and raptor style grille, ICON stage 4 suspension, allpro sliders
    I carry chambered ( I carry a pf9 and also a p11 depending on the day) I always have one in the chamber. My reasoning for this is like others stated, You may or may not have time to rack the gun depending on the situation at hand.

BUT on the other hand, my carry guns are double action triggers. Meaning the hammer is not constantly in the cocked position awaiting a light tap of the trigger. On a double action (as many of you know) the hammer is pulled back and fired off with the trigger. So my guns have a heavy pull...i'd guesstimate 8lbs or so. Where some guns are single action and may have extremely light pulls, like 1-2 lbs. These guns are alot more risky to carry, if you fumble or hang up while drawing you COULD potentially fire off.

So I guess its all about personal preference and how confident you are with your safety skills. And also what type of carry you are doing (IWB, pocket carry, ankle, etc..)

4. Feb 22, 2013 at 11:04 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=posfSTQSBqU

Perhaps not the slickest or best video of the drill on the net, but I selected this one because it shows a shooter with less than professional level training.

Also keep in mind that this, and any other video of the drill... it's a drill.
    The person with the gun is EXPECTING the attack.
    20ft? 30ft?
    Real life is not going to be an armed perp at 30ft and you have a "shootout"... you're going to pray that you are able to identify the perp as a threat before he gets within 20ft.

How many times in your life have complete strangers been within 10ft of you?
    If I were planning to rob someone, I wouldn't be screaming at them waving a blade at 30ft... I'd "cozy up" like I'm asking for directions or something.

5. Feb 23, 2013 at 5:03 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    good post rich! I was think of this when i was reading jeff’s post.

6. Feb 23, 2013 at 5:34 AM
    Redneck92

Redneck92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Limited TRD
    Just the norm skids, sliders, & 35's
    An unloaded gun is just an expensive paper weight.

7. Feb 23, 2013 at 5:37 AM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ... ^^^ ... My thoughts too ... (also depending on the safeties on the gun) ... :D

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  8. Feb 23, 2013 at 5:38 AM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    I like all the guys who are carrying in a level 3 holster on their hip all day talking about how they carry with one in the chamber. No shit. It's when you carry a Glock with no safety in a leather IWB holster carried appendix style pointed at your femoral artery all day that you think twice about it, lol.

9. Feb 23, 2013 at 5:44 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    I never understood why not- An always chambered .45 by my side keeps me happy! :D

10. Feb 23, 2013 at 6:29 AM
    RevAdam

RevAdam Impressive Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    Then you need:

• A better holster
    • More Training
    • Perhaps a different firearm you are more comfortable with

I would highly suggest ditching the leather.

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/f...her-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

11. Feb 23, 2013 at 6:38 AM
    EL TACOROJO

EL TACOROJO SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAK
    Vehicle:
    03 dblcab prerunner sr5 v6
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
    1 in the pipe 16 in the mag.

12. Feb 23, 2013 at 6:47 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    I would have no problem carrying a Glock with one in the chamber. if you have the right holster it should not matter at all.

Heck I have carried a glock loaded in a Fobus i think it is a GL2 OWB holster on a buddy's property. had full mag and one in the chamber did think twice about it.

13. Feb 23, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    Taco7000

Taco7000 AK BWAYNE

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Eagle River Alaska
    Vehicle:
    09 grey metallic double cab, TRD sport
    55W 5000k headlights 35W 3000K fogs LED color swap in gauge cluster and other buttons. 4x Hella 700 converted to HID on N-Fab light bar Soon to come:Leer XL100 topper, HWMS with 8000lb winch, headlight/fog FXR retrofit, Yakima megawarrior basket, Ralley 4000 x3 converted to 100w HID, Hella 700 x2 converted to 55w HID
    ^^^this.....Im a cop in the airforce and we dont have nearly as much cool training as civ PD but we do however train to have our M9s loaded and we even keep the safety off. This is because in a real world scenario when your blood gets pumping and adrenalin starts flowing its very hard to remember to do even simple things like fliping the saftey from safe to fire before pulling the trigger. You would be surprised at how many of our trained officers (including myself) will be at the range doing quick reaction drills and occasionally draw thier weapon to fire and forget to flip the safety. So the way I see it, for me personally haveing been to the range multiple times with my on and off duty carry I keep one in the chamber because I know that even with the training I've had that if I still to this day after five years still occasionally have that split second screw up and forget to flip the saftey lever theres no way in a real world situation that if I needed to use my weapon I would remember to rack a round before pulling the trigger. For those who have kids and are concerned (in my case my little brother and sisters when there over) teach them the seriousness of a firearm and make sure they understand the danger of them. If their old enough take em to the range, teach em how to handle a firearm theyll love it and its hands on experience vs all the garbage on TV shows and movies. Also be aware of your surroundings If you have kids or know that there will be kids around where ever your going be sure to secure your weapon in a safe place where they will not be able to tamper or play with it. In a locker is most deff the best place for a weapon to be stored but if you dont have one you can put it up high out of reach. Ultimatly the decision is yours weather to carry loaded or not, but I highly recommend all my tacomaworld borthers to take a class or two and spend lots of time at the range to get comfortable with your new or older firearm. Train for different scenarios and try different things and see what works best for you. :cool:

14. Feb 23, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Chambered...

What's the saying? Train the way you fight, fight the way you train?

If you are not comfortable enough with your weapon to carry one in the chamber, chances are you probably haven't trained enough with it and shouldn't be carrying it. Now, if its in the car, or off body, I can understand, you aren't planning for a face to face confrontation...

Practice your draw and dry fire at home in the mirror with an UNLOADED WEAPON. Practice one handed; practice weak handed; practice in different attire depending on the season; just practice!!!

Most attacks occur within 21 feet. Between your reaction time and your muscle memory, you may have to fight on the ground. Threats are not going to always make themselves known from a distance and the thought that a sight picture must be acquired, is fine and dandy if the attacker is standing away from you, but what if its a guy right in front of you with a knife, and you have both hands in the air? How do you think you're gonna draw, remember to chamber a round, chamber a round, acquire a sight picture, and fire in what is sure to be the most stressful situation that most of you will ever experience before he either notices and stabs you or takes/fights your unchambered gun away from you. This is the reason people that are anti-gun say that you're more likely to be shot with your own gun in an attack.

Wanna see how hard it would be to chamber that round? Go to walmart and get one of those shitty airsoft guns that you have to rack to shoot. Find your biggest friend. Have him punch you in the stoumach so that it actually hurts, and makes you queezy. Then see if you can draw, rack, and shoot him in the chest before he takes that AirSoft gun away from you and kicks your ass...

Point is if you're carrying a firearm, you need to expect the very worst, and hope for the best. Expect to be on the ground. Expect to be injured. Expect others to be injured. Expect no one to help. Expect to want to "take a break". Have a plan B, cause plan A will fail.

/rant

:oldglory:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  15. Feb 23, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Glock 17?

16. Feb 23, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    trdr6

trdr6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Off-Road 4X4 Double Cab Magnetic Grey
    AFE Stage II Si CAI, Raptor Series Straight Chrome Step Bars
    Rooster Cogburn said "the damn thing don't work less its loaded." I tend to agree.

17. Feb 23, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    I carry a Glock 17 on my hip in an IWB level 1 and a 19 on my ankle with a thumb break level 2. Not a problem...

I also carry a glock in a OWB level 3 at work...

Sounds to me like you need to train more and become more comfortable with your carry setup, or change it so that you are comfortable.

18. Feb 23, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    Chambered.

I've taken numerous courses with firearms. One of my favorite ones is where you are on the ground and the badguy is on top of you. You have to fend off the attack and draw and fire. I couldn't imagine adding tring to charge the gun to the situation.

But to each their own.

19. Feb 23, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    Velodude

Velodude Member

Member:
    First Name:
    EJ
    Gainesville
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD

This is the most important piece of advice! Train, train, train. And remember 'Only perfect practice makes perfect.'

20. Feb 23, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    EL TACOROJO

EL TACOROJO SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAK
    Vehicle:
    03 dblcab prerunner sr5 v6
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
    nope. springfield armory xdm 40

Products Discussed in

To Top