1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cast Iron Stove - Winter Heating

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by BongoTheOneEyed, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Aug 20, 2017 at 4:00 PM
    BongoTheOneEyed

BongoTheOneEyed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ive seen this done in some Vanlife videos, however has anyone successfully installed a mini cast iron / ammo box wood stove in the back of their Tacoma camper to heat the insides during the wintertime ? Perhaps, something similar to the below:

[​IMG]

Photos and details, kindly appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  2. Aug 20, 2017 at 7:10 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    As if the VW bus wasn't already prone to fires. :bananadead: And that one looks like so many of the pieced together (note the wires hanging down under the dash and all of the stuff that's going to become missiles in the event of an accident), barely running, I'm leading a cool guy life but I need a miracle to keep traveling types I used to see all of the time. Yes, I've owned about a half dozen buses and Westys and mine were all well maintained.

Anyways, if I had an actual camper on the back then sure, I'd look at one of the high efficiency mini stoves out there for marine applications. They're pricey but they seal well and you won't have to get up and feed them continually. I've seen them used in some powder chasers vans and skoolies in addition to some larger slide ins. With just the average shell on the back you really don't have much room. I've got one of the smaller Coleman catalytic heaters that screws onto a 1# cylinder and it's still too big in my opinion. If it's going to be pretty cold to really cold then I'll carry it and use it to warm up the bed then again in the morning to get dressed but I don't think it'll run all night.

If you do decide to run some sort of heater be sure to add a CO detector (you can get a combo smoke/CO) even if using a vented system. A leak can be fatal. And before someone suggest the Buddy heaters- NO, a low O2 sensor is not a CO detector and NO, it is not a catalytic heater. They do work pretty well in a bus though.

3. Aug 20, 2017 at 7:49 PM
    BongoTheOneEyed

BongoTheOneEyed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    An efficient slow burning, low emissions mini wood stove would work well in a small or mid-sized camper with an external tubing or vent.

Im not sure whom might sell such a stove but a thick cast iron one would retain alot of heat, even if it wa half the size of the one pictured above.

4. Aug 23, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    FHC

FHC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Google boat stoves

Products Discussed in

To Top