1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Castel Gate King 50% off

Discussion in 'Deals & Coupons' started by Mexicutioner, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Apr 30, 2020 at 11:04 AM
    AMC_Unlimited

AMC_Unlimited For he is limitless (sometimes)

Member:
    First Name:
    AMC
    Vehicle:
    Ironman Tribute Edition
    Mall Crawl Control
    That’s disappointing to hear. If this product does not perform the way it does in the video I might end up sending it back.

2. Apr 30, 2020 at 3:23 PM
    KnckleChldrn

KnckleChldrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB MT
    Suspension OME 886 Coils OME Nitro Charger Sport shocks OME Nitro Charger Sport struts Deaver Expedition leaf pack Mickey Thompson wheels 265/70/17 KO2 Total Chaos upper control arms Performance K&N air intake Exterior Southern Style Offroad slim line bumper Smittybilt x20 winch Interior Kicker tweeters, front and rear speakers Anytime front and rear camera Hondo Garage stereo knobs Hondo Garage un-Holley mount MESO black out door handles MESO steering wheel MGM overlay MESO puddle pods MESO ultimate red map lights MESO ultimate red dome MESO gasshole MESO ultimate turn signals MESO BD5 3rd brake light MESO stage 3 side markers Retrofit Morimoto 2.0 headlights RGB halo RGB demons RGB DRL Cali Raised raptor LED tail lights SpartanXCustoms scoop light Baja Designs Squadron Sports fogs (amber) Baja Designs Squadron Pro ditch (amber) Baja Designs S8 20" Matt Gecko bed lights Matt Gecko hood lights Switchpro 9100 OEM bed mat 300 Industries grill Bakflip Fibermax cover
    Sale is there. Only way to get to discount option is going through checkout. If you choose Apple Pay it doesn’t ask for a code.

3. May 1, 2020 at 1:54 PM
    Nu2taco

Nu2taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCTRDOR4X4 AT
    Been wanting this! Thanks for the share. Mine is enroute to get delivered today

4. May 1, 2020 at 4:14 PM
    miguel1984

miguel1984 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Received and installed mine today. Works as advertised. I was afraid of the previous comments that it would not unlock when reopening but mine does not have that problem. The top screw on mines is also not flush like the bottom one but It does not affect the function.

Easy and fast install. Although I stripped the factory bolt on the driver side of the tailgate while getting it off. That was a pain the ass. All other screws came off effortlessly.

B435EB67-F335-4AAD-9D8B-E1FAA68EE6EB.jpg
    07326448-2E79-41BC-B494-46B140011253.jpg

5. May 1, 2020 at 9:10 PM
    Nu2taco

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCTRDOR4X4 AT
    Did you notice any rubbing here?CBE9D3E8-6C1A-4183-BF84-1B28253542E2.jpgI rubbed slightly.. switched out the spacers. Fat one on the bottom and thin on too.. and no more rubbing

I married my tacoma likes this.
  6. May 1, 2020 at 10:12 PM
    miguel1984

miguel1984 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Yes initially. What i realize was that it was cause due to the side to side play of the tailgate. Once I added the hose clamp the side to side play reduced and it no longer rubbed.

7. May 3, 2020 at 4:09 PM
    AMC_Unlimited

Member:
    First Name:
    AMC
    Vehicle:
    Ironman Tribute Edition
    Mall Crawl Control
    Installed them yesterday. While testing ‘em out, they worked great the first two times, but might have shut the tailgate a little too hard on the third attempt. After that the right side lever stopped clicking into its little clip: it just pops out when manually pushing it into the bracket. I think I can tighten it with a pair of pliers. Still works fine for my needs. Would give this product a 3 out of 5, but would not pay full price for the set.

Edit:
    Pinched the clip gently and it seems a bit better.
    0A9032D8-02FF-48F3-AD22-5BD2A0E0F369.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  8. May 5, 2020 at 1:17 PM
    Banggerr

Banggerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    What did you use the hose clamp for? I just finished installing them and there’s a good amount of side to side play

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  9. May 5, 2020 at 5:02 PM
    Nu2taco

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCTRDOR4X4 AT
    35213730-B006-4473-AEBE-C559E177E123.jpg

AMC_Unlimited likes this.
  10. May 5, 2020 at 5:50 PM
    Banggerr

Banggerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thank you sir

Nu2taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. May 12, 2020 at 6:04 AM
    BroID

BroID Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Gem State
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD off road
    BFG KM2 255/85r16 Bilstein 5100s OME 888, HD Dakar’s, JBA control arms, BAMF Shackle hangers and shackle.
    Wanted to update. I initially installed the Gate Kong’s and had some issues. Contacted castel/Gateking. I got an email, and a text with a direct phone number to a very good person that helped make mine work. In fact, I initially told him I would call him on Monday. Ran out of time and on Tuesday he sent me a text again that he would like to make sure this works for me. Great customer service! One small little bug worked out and they work great.

12. May 12, 2020 at 6:06 AM
    Nu2taco

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCTRDOR4X4 AT
    Whats the issue?

JKU3000 likes this.
  13. May 12, 2020 at 7:00 AM
    BroID

BroID Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Gem State
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD off road
    BFG KM2 255/85r16 Bilstein 5100s OME 888, HD Dakar’s, JBA control arms, BAMF Shackle hangers and shackle.
    On one side it would not self reset after closing the tailgate and only partially open to the last stage before fully closed. So I would have to sneak my fingers in between the bed and tailgate and manually reset it. It would do this every time the tailgate was closed regardless of wether I used it or not. This weekend I’m
    Headed out to some good trails and will have to travel some nasty washboard roads to get there. I am curious if washboards in a dirt road will cause it trouble.

JKU3000 likes this.
  14. May 12, 2020 at 7:07 AM
    AMC_Unlimited

Member:
    First Name:
    AMC
    Vehicle:
    Ironman Tribute Edition
    Mall Crawl Control

What did you have to do to resolve the problem?

15. May 12, 2020 at 7:09 AM
    BroID

BroID Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Gem State
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD off road
    Bend the little reset rod a bit. It was temperamental and had to be just so to get it to work.

AMC_Unlimited[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. May 12, 2020 at 7:23 AM
    AMC_Unlimited

Member:
    First Name:
    AMC
    Vehicle:
    Ironman Tribute Edition
    Mall Crawl Control
    I pinched the clip with a pair of pliers very very carefully. So carefully that it didn’t really work after a few days and it went back to opening to the first lock position instead of full open.
    I’ve decided it’s a good thing tho. I now see it as an additional security measure. If for some reason I forget to lock it, someone can’t just up and open/uninstall/steal the tailgate.

Thanks for sharing the proper fix, I’ll probably do it sometime in the future.

Edit: So I did go back and bend the little rod a tiny bit so that it would catch the clip. They work perfectly now and would give them a 4.5/5 rating.
    Very happy with the functionality.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    I married my tacoma likes this.
  17. Dec 5, 2020 at 9:55 PM
    CAtacoWaves

CAtacoWaves Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 MT DCSB OR
    Rhino Rack Gutter Channels & Rack, Thule Bed Rack (old model mod), Bed Platform,[Switches: Stereo Brightness, NAV Bypass, White Noise Backup Alarm], Interior AC plugs w/400W anytime, Gate King, Bed & Underhood Lights, SPIKER Eng Hood Struts, MICTUNING Tailgate Light Bar, Blinker Genie 2 Mod for side mirrors and side markers. CBI 0deg Rock Rails, Riccochet Al Full Skids, Bed Divider Rear Window Block, Rostra Front Rock Crawl Camera, Rostra Front/Rear Dashcams, [Alarm Upgrades: Glass Break Sensor, and Tilt Sensor, Shock Sensor, Tailgate Sensor with off switches]. Snail Armor Tailgate Insert. Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock. SaBellCo Tailgate Security Lock. Wheeler's OR 1.5" Prog Add-a-leaf with stock Overload spring. TIMBREN Active OR Rear Bump Stops. FOB free key. HitchSafe. TUFFY Lock Boxes in Center Console & Rear Seat. Toyota Wheel and Spare Tire Locks. In progress: Bilstein 5100s & OME 886 coils, Durobumps Front Bumpstops, CBI hidden front hitch, Hitch mounted winch with front and rear wiring, Eco Gapshield, War Fab Inc Sheridan Hitch Skid, Battery Upgrade. Make me stop...
    I installed mine a few days ago and had a heck of a time getting it to work consistently. I too had to swap the spacers (from the instructions) to keep it from rubbing the tailgate: fat on bottom, skinny on top.

I also had to bend the flat tab that resets it because when it was flat, it would rub the other arm so hard it couldn't close. I'm pointing at the tab in the pic. You'll notice the scrape damage on the arms in future pics.
    IMG_2570.jpg

Then it wouldn't unlatch, by hand or when I closed it (it didn't stick out past the back and when unlatched, it barely moved). I had to bend the interior angle of the rod smaller to allow the hook to open more. You know it's in a good position when the rod catches the rear catch, and sticks out enough past the back that it's easy to flick it out of the catch, to engage the teeth. Mine was so bent that I had to dig my nail in between the rod and the arm to pop it out. Pics below show it adjusted and working smoothly. I think they got bent from slamming the tailgate shut too many times during install and possibly getting warped when having the spacers wrong (before I did the opposite of the instructions to correct) and the hook getting held up, causing the bends.
    IMG_2565.jpg IMG_2567.jpg

Additionally, the side plates started spinning on me. I found that the pins (3) had slipped out partially, so I had to press them back in place to catch all the plates.

I added some electric tape to protect my paint on the sides of the bed. There are some little metal pieces that stick out that were scraping sometimes. I filed them down a bit and I think it's OK now.

I love the idea, but this took a lot of fiddling to get to work, and may need maintenance fiddling in the future, if the rod bends again. I'd still recommend for a handy person if you can get it for less than $150.

And everyone is complaining about those tapered bolts. The top one isn't flush, but it doesn't seem like a big deal. You could always go get a stainless button head screw to replace them if you feel that strongly. Do take note that the spacers and screws are non magnetic, so the bolts are probably stainless, and the spacers may be stainless or aluminum. The hardened stainless arms are highly magnetic, so I'd try hard to maintain the paint on those, they seem like they'd still rust in marine environments, but they are probably super strong.

I hope my experience helps you troubleshoot your install.

mtip likes this.
  18. Dec 6, 2020 at 6:04 AM
    BroID

BroID Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Gem State
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD off road
    My set lasted 6 months before it failed on me. They failed right at the gears. The thin metal surrounding the gears somehow got smashed and created all sorts of opening and closing issues. Attempted to fix it with no luck so I removed them. I hope others have better luck then me with them.

19. Dec 6, 2020 at 8:01 AM
    CAtacoWaves

CAtacoWaves Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 MT DCSB OR
    Rhino Rack Gutter Channels & Rack, Thule Bed Rack (old model mod), Bed Platform,[Switches: Stereo Brightness, NAV Bypass, White Noise Backup Alarm], Interior AC plugs w/400W anytime, Gate King, Bed & Underhood Lights, SPIKER Eng Hood Struts, MICTUNING Tailgate Light Bar, Blinker Genie 2 Mod for side mirrors and side markers. CBI 0deg Rock Rails, Riccochet Al Full Skids, Bed Divider Rear Window Block, Rostra Front Rock Crawl Camera, Rostra Front/Rear Dashcams, [Alarm Upgrades: Glass Break Sensor, and Tilt Sensor, Shock Sensor, Tailgate Sensor with off switches]. Snail Armor Tailgate Insert. Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock. SaBellCo Tailgate Security Lock. Wheeler's OR 1.5" Prog Add-a-leaf with stock Overload spring. TIMBREN Active OR Rear Bump Stops. FOB free key. HitchSafe. TUFFY Lock Boxes in Center Console & Rear Seat. Toyota Wheel and Spare Tire Locks. In progress: Bilstein 5100s & OME 886 coils, Durobumps Front Bumpstops, CBI hidden front hitch, Hitch mounted winch with front and rear wiring, Eco Gapshield, War Fab Inc Sheridan Hitch Skid, Battery Upgrade. Make me stop...
    That was probably due to one or more of the 3 little pins slipping out some, causing the plates to rotate, like it did on mine. I guess the plates can rotate into a position that will bend them, which would bind up th system. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to keep an eye on those.

So note to others for your regular maintenance check to prevent binding or failure:

1. Keep an eye on the hook rod to be sure the angle remains bent enough to unhook when in the retainer clip.

2. Check that the 3 retainer pins on the shiny silver plates aren't working their way out, and allowing the plates to move. They're easy enough to tap back in with a hammer or squeeze in with a big wrench/pliers (may have to fully remove hinge to repair).

Anyone else have anything to add?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    BroID[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Dec 6, 2020 at 8:15 AM
    BroID

BroID Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Gem State
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD off road
    Something like this should be set it and forget it. No maintenance required

Products Discussed in

To Top