1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cat back exhaust?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by 562TACO, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jan 7, 2009 at 3:29 PM
    562TACO

562TACO [OP] Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Prerunner sport
    So I got some doug thorley shorties. I called the local exhaust shop to get a quote for the install. I told the guy I also wanted to have a magnaflow muffler installed at the same time. He suggested I have him run all new piping from the cat back for better flow. I understand all of that, and he gave me a really good price. I think.

My question is... What is the difference between a $500 dollar cat back system and just running new piping with "high flow bends"?

It seems like all those cat back systems are is piping from the cat to the new muffler and to a tip...

Am I missing something?

I was quoted $450 for the header install, cat back exhaust and magnaflow muffler. I've had work done at the shop before and its quality.

2. Jan 7, 2009 at 4:08 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    He is including the cut & rewelding of your cats to those shorty headers. But the only difference you will get with a full cat back purchase would the option of Stainless steel piping, plus Madrel bends. But, that would cost almost $500 just for the cat back. And no performance difference from aluminzed piping work at your local shop. Just preference I guess.

Make sure his quote includes:

1) Install Headers to head
    2) Weld Cats to Headers
    3) New Muffler with piping
    4) Weld all connections (I found that the band clamps suck after a while. Got black soot at all my connections. Welding these will allow a leak free system).
    5) Pick up new crush gaskets for the cat flange to Y-pipe connection. (Dealer got them bout $7 a piece.

If you can get most or all of this done for $450, you got a steal of a deal.

3. Jan 7, 2009 at 4:13 PM
    562TACO

562TACO [OP] Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Prerunner sport
    Mandrel bends... That was the word I couldn't think of.

4. Jan 7, 2009 at 4:16 PM
    carolinyens

carolinyens Creedmoor Connections

Member:
    Durham, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    TRD CAI, TRD SS, Toyota All Weather Mats, Eagle Eye Halos, NST Crankshaft Pulley, ScanGauge II, TRD Shiftball, TRD SeatCovers, WeatherTech Vent Visors, 20% tint, DTLT's and NST pulley combo.
    I agree this is a steal if thats what is included

Products Discussed in

To Top