1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cat heat shield not cutting it?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by ScootsOFP, Sep 4, 2010.

1. ScootsOFP

ScootsOFP [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoot
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5/TRD
    deckplate, white LED gauges, fog light mod (Beau02 write up), Scion t1814 head unit
    I recently noticed that under my passenger side floormats (front and rear seats) had a good deal of condensation forming under while I drove. To the point where it was starting to smell musty in the cab.

Looking under the truck it seems like the 2 cats are perfectly positioned to radiate tons of heat right where I have been getting condensation. The heat shields aren't rusted, so I'm confused about what might be causing the problem and how I can fix it.

Ideas?

2. chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, lots of buttons, and yellow flashing lights on the dash.
    Odds are, Its AC condensation comming from the AC system. You should see a drain tube comming out of the fire wall (open the hood, or look under the vehicle). This tube may be plugged. You can run a peice of wire into it, to unblock whatever may be in it. OR, Use compressed air ( though you will want to do this from the cab). OR, It may have become disconnected. If the latter is the case, re connect.

3. twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    I used a plastic zip 6 inch tie and inserted it into the drain to see if it were pluged.

4. ScootsOFP

ScootsOFP [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoot
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5/TRD
    deckplate, white LED gauges, fog light mod (Beau02 write up), Scion t1814 head unit
    I pulled the drain tube out from the firewall and it was clear, should I just use a wire or zip tie and try to clean further up in the drain pan, or what should my next move be?

5. chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, lots of buttons, and yellow flashing lights on the dash.
    Use a peice of good size wire. Fashion a hook on the end, and see if you can pul the juk out.

6. STLharry

STLharry Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    01 5VZ-FE TRD 5spd
    '95-'97 style Grille/Hood/Taillights/Tailgate decals, ARB bull bar, Rock sliders, Custom rear tube bumper, King Coilovers with Icon neoprene spring condoms, OME Rear Suspension: CS046R leafs with N85 shocks, NWOR greasable shackles/spring pins and OME hardware; IPF H4 lenses and bulbs, IPF 968 DCG 100W fog lights, CB radio, Aussie-spec FJ60 inclinometer, ARB CKMA12 compressor; ARB-mounted 4' Hi-Lift, Deckplate mod, Grey Wire mod, Dif Breather Extension, Dif Drop Kit, Sway bar removed, Duratrac tires, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Boat cupholder
    Yep. Sounds like your AC drain is plugged. Chris has it spot on.

To Top