1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Catalytic Converter Rattle

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by groink, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Apr 13, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    groink

groink [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    96 LX 4cyl 4x4 XCAB
    It's time to replace my Cat, but I cannot really afford to buy a new one at the moment. I live in Wyoming so there is no smog laws, what's the cheapest DIY way to fix it? Should it be gutted? Or should I buy a straight pipe to replace? (where would i buy that?)

Thanks!

2. Apr 13, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    if you straight pipe it or gut it then your exaust tone will probably get really raspy and you will sound kinda like one of those honda civic's with the big can on it. i would recommend not gutting it or cutting it out unless you plan on replacing it. if you like the loud rice burner sound then by all means you can gut it and it shouldnt hurt anything.

3. Apr 14, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    groink

groink [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    96 LX 4cyl 4x4 XCAB
    well i have to remedy the problem because the ceramic in the cat is broken and it rattles a hell of alot and i can tell it's clogging the cat up and bleeding power... but i also don't have 250 bucks to spend on a cat right now, i could care less if my truck sounds like a rice burner until i get a new cat (i guess technically we all drive rice burners anyways lol) do they sell pipes that are made to replace cats on taco's? (ones that will fit the mounts) i don't want to cut anything.

4. Apr 14, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    2001 X-Cab 4x4 TRD V6 5Spd
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    If you remove the cat and retain your muffler you should be OK in regards to sound. It will sound louder but not as bad as what some folks are saying (that annoying fart-can sound). If you have already have a flowmaster / magnaflow / etc on there then you would really notice a difference. You could buy a cheap autozone / advance auto / etc muffler to slap in its place if you are really worried about it. I think you can a real cheap one for around $20 or so.

5. Apr 14, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Respect your elder gen.
    Pink slider.
    go to an exhaust shop and have them make you a pipe that replaces the cat.

since theres no smog where you live, im guessing the shop wont hesitate.

6. Apr 14, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    No smog laws, straight pipe it till you have smog laws. If it sounds funky change the muffler. Factory cat will be $800. to $1000. I would wait till they start checking for smog before I changed the cat.

7. Apr 14, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    Taco76087

Taco76087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma prerunner TRD SR5
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs
  8. Apr 14, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Get one at the junk yard if you want to replace it.

To Top