1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Catalytic Converter stolen from my truck.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ssjostrom1980, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Mar 7, 2010 at 11:30 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    Buy full budbuilt skids. Hard to take a cat out when there is a 3/16" skid plate sittin up tight to it.

2. Mar 8, 2010 at 1:06 AM
    e-man

e-man Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    los angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 silver PreRunner 4x2 TRD Off-Road
    pop n lock 5300, aries 4" oval black step bar, oem cargo divider , pioneer avic z110bt nav unit, pioneer ndbc4 backup camera, - just starting out but more to come
    Man that really sucks. Damn theses thieves. Just did a google search on protection for our catalytic converters. There's a product out there that encloses the cats for security.

3. Mar 8, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    The "Cat Clamp" is an option. Don't get burned by the scam called the "Cat Cuff"... read many reports of people getting ripped off by them (never recieve a product after sending payment.)

4. Mar 10, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    metz2112

metz2112 Member

Member:
    I'm very sorry about your cat being stolen. I've heard about that around here too.

I have a feeling the extraction process is very easy/cheap, otherwise they wouldn't spend so much time getting maybe $60 per convertor. There can't be much more than 2 grams of platinum in each one, and that isn't worth much. I'm guessing they just cut out the ceramic honeycomb or whatever holds the platinum then heat it up and filter.

We make catalysts where I work and some of them have platinum. We dispose of the platinum waste after we test the catalyst (in mere milligrams at a time) into a separate drum so that they can recover and reuse it. This is why I bet it is an easy extraction.

5. Mar 11, 2010 at 2:01 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    How can that little of platinum in the Cat be worth stealing? You can buy a brand new one for around $100...

6. Mar 12, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I saw something on Trucks! About the cat thefts. They were insatlling a cat clamp on a 4runner. Apparently the first gen tacomas have the highest theft rate of any car in the US

7. Mar 12, 2010 at 1:20 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    A friend of mine had the cat stolen off her 1st gen in front of my house a couple months ago.

8. Mar 12, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    4low2go

4low2go Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coatesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 RC 4x4 5sp MGM
    Curt hitch, OBX Shift
    Damn cat-burglars :annoyed:

9. Mar 12, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    CUtigerfan

CUtigerfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Base
    Daystar 1.5" coil spacers, bedlined bumpers, clear corners, aftermarket stereo, 20% tint, half debadged
    somebody beat me to it but on Truck U they put one of those cat clamps on a 2nd gen. tacoma. If you go to their website you can probably watch the episode to see how the system works.

10. Mar 14, 2010 at 3:09 PM
    evil_tt

evil_tt Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2004 Prerunner SR5
    Stock
    someone had jacked my cat, the shop it was replaced at said they get a lot of people with the same problem so they welded mine on....try now thiefs muhahahaha

11. Mar 14, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    My friend thought the same thing too, After he replaced his, they took a SawZall and cut it.

12. Mar 14, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    bet they even used the power outlet in the bed. those bastards!

13. Mar 14, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    yah, the guys who tried to jack mine had a cordless saw of some sort... must have realized its faster to cut than unbolt...

14. Mar 16, 2010 at 2:57 AM
    monSTIer

monSTIer Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double cab 4x4 stock black
    My glock and my pitbull with her good hearing saved my cat. She let out a muffled bark and I knew someone was in the culdesac so i grabbed my glock and we went to check it out and to skinny punks were walking out of the culdesac with hoodies on and there heads down. Who walks with someone and keeps their head down? Body languge told me they where up to no good. I looked under all my vehicles and didn't see anything though. The next day I started my truck and it sounded just alittle bit different but I didn't think anything of it. Then I get to work and I here on the radio that it is common for the cat to be stolen. A couple weeks pass and I am out wheeling, hauling a$$ down a dirt road and my truck goes into loud race exhaust mode. I pull over to find my exhaust in two. Those punks used a pipe cutter that a plumber would use (tighen turn tighten turn til it's cut). Good idea on their part since its quite. Dumb because my dog can her my neighbor sneeze across the street and I keep my gun by me at all times.

15. Apr 3, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    Tocowah

Tocowah New Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    PIAA H4; locking gas cap; Leer Cap
    I parked at YVR's secured parking lot for 10 days. Upon return my truck started with the sound of a stock car. I looked under and noticed the cat cut away with a recip. No filings on the ground the airport won't take responsibility even though they have cameras. Cops wouldn't comment and I'm out $2300+ although I have $300 deductible. Sure wish there was a good way to prevent this from happening again.

16. Apr 3, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    monSTIer

monSTIer Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double cab 4x4 stock black
    You can have half inch solid steel bent to the shape of the exhuast on the top and then weld it into place. It takes too much noise and effort to get it off and even if they try it can be repaired for $20. The shop I went to charged me $20 to weld mine back up. Any fab or muffler shop can do the mod I talked about.

Products Discussed in

To Top