1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Catalytic Converter Thefts on 2nd Gens?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MountainEarth, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Mar 13, 2010 at 11:11 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Pretty much all the Toyota catalytic converter theft stories I see are 1985-2004 Tacomas and 4Runners. Anyone know of cat thefts on the 2nd gens? And if not, why not?

Also how many catalytic converters are there on the 2008-2010 v6 Tacomas? I ask because I only see one, but I know there are 4 on new Tundras with the front 2 pretty buried, but I can't find a schematic of any kind.

And finally has anyone installed a Cat Clamp on their 2nd gen Tacoma? Or does the frame crossmember interfere with installation?

Thx all

2. Mar 13, 2010 at 11:21 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    you have 4 cats, and my local dealer had a problem with people stealing the cats off of the new trucks on the lot just recently. these trucks sit so high off the ground it makes it easy for someone to crawl under there and saw off your cats!

3. Mar 14, 2010 at 6:08 AM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Arlington, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4 Runner Trail
    Mine got stolen last year. 4cyl has 1 cat then an o2 sensor and there is another cat or collector after the o2 sensor.
    I just put on a new cat and left off the collector since it is downstream of the o2 sensor.

4. Mar 14, 2010 at 6:37 AM
    FreeHeel

FreeHeel Not Dead But Definitely Dying

Member:
    Rambler
    Vehicle:
    2006 Reg Cab 4x4
  5. Mar 14, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    FreeHeel

FreeHeel Not Dead But Definitely Dying

Member:
    Rambler
    Vehicle:
    2006 Reg Cab 4x4
    Link came out all screwy ~ anyway the company is called Cat Clamp

6. Mar 14, 2010 at 2:19 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Yeah I did see that. I used to have an 86 4Runner and knew that thefts were a big issue with those (though I never got nailed). But when I traded up to a 2010 I started looking around and could find very few reports of cat thefts in vehicles 2006 or newer. That article seems to indicate the same. So I wondered what (if anything) might changed in cat designs.

At any rate I would still be interested in hearing from members who have taken efforts to protect their cats on 2nd gens. I know of the Cat Clamps but they're a whopping $150-$300 each. I have heard of guys spraying their cats with bright color high temp paints. I know there are a few who recommend etching your license plate or VIN on your cats. Others spot weld the bolts. One guy on another forum posted pics of a body shop that welds sections of chain to the exhaust fore and aft of the cats so they can't be cut out. Another guy bought lengths of steel cable, and used hoseclamps to secure the cables along his exhaust and around the frame. He then used JB Weld epoxy to cover the hoseclamp bolts. to prevent removal.

Now maybe this is all overkill, but this is a crime on the rise.

What do you guys do?

Thx

7. Oct 30, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    18seeds

18seeds Well-Known Member

Member:
    FYI mine was just stolen. It was left overnite in a parking lot for 2 nights. Great start to the weekend.

8. Oct 30, 2010 at 9:05 AM
    Jefenator

Jefenator Taco Truck Noob

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 2WD Reg Cab Stick Shift
    Another plus for base model 2WD!! :D

I kid. Between this, the gas cap and the tailgate, a guy could feel kind of vulnerable.

9. Oct 30, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop, piaa, weathertech, westin, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    Don't buy the product called the "cat cuff" (if their even still in business.) I've read many reports of people sending them money and never recieving a product. The "cat clamp" is a better choice
    I had a fabricator make up a plate to protect mine. The main plate is removable with a couple pieces welded in place to close off access from a saw. The plate was designed to have good air flow (the cats get VERY hot) and I added heat retardant material around the sensor wires. Also, I used fasteners that a normal wrench or socket are useless on and added protection to where vice grips can't access the fasteners. Rebar was welded across the top of the plate to slow down any attemps to saw through it.

10. Oct 30, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    SilverStreak05

SilverStreak05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    DR coilovers, DR rear reservoir shocks, Deaver custom 11 pack leaf springs
    Society is pretty fucked up when you actually have to spend extra money to protect your catalytic converters from being stolen.

To Top