1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Catalytic Guards - Thumbs Up

Discussion in 'RCI Metalworks' started by ZColorado, Mar 24, 2022.

1. Mar 24, 2022 at 8:35 PM
    ZColorado

ZColorado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Near Boulder Colorado
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 6MT
    35's,Kings, NWF, SPC, Archive, Method, RCI, C4
    :thumbsup: Just installed the Catalytic Guards. Not as easy to drill through my steel skids, but they wern't too bad. I installed them a little further back then the directions suggested. Very happy with this purchase, lots of coverage and I don't know how someone could get in there now.

IMG_4171.jpg

Kolter45, wi_taco, geoyota760 and 3 others like this.
  2. Mar 29, 2022 at 1:53 PM
    sikTacos

sikTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2Gen Tacoma (DC/LB/4X4)
    Are you using OEM skid plate or RCI one?

I'm still on the fence on buying just the Transmission Skid + Cat Guard and using the OEM skid plate. Just don't know how it will mount together properly.

3. Mar 29, 2022 at 2:50 PM
    unclemat

unclemat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX Baja
    Just found about these. I made a suggestion to RCI about making them over 3 years back when I got my trans skid plate form them. Never heard back but I guess they listen...

potshot likes this.
  4. Mar 29, 2022 at 4:44 PM
    RCI-Offroad

RCI-Offroad Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Loveland, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    RCI Full Skids and Sliders, Icon Stage 7 Lift, 315-70-16 Cooper STT Pros, RCI Front Bumper, RCI Rear Bumper, Come-up 9k winch, Rigid 30" bar, back-up lights, ditch lights, fogs, ARB front locker, RCI 18" adjustable bed rack, Cascadia RTT, ARB Fridge, ARB twin compressor, Switch-Pros power, Off-grid 4x4 dual battery system
    Looks great and thanks so much for posting your feedback on this new product! We are always listening and trying to make the best products available. :thumbsup:

ZColorado[OP] likes this.
  5. Mar 29, 2022 at 4:49 PM
    RCI-Offroad

Member:
    Loveland, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    RCI Full Skids and Sliders, Icon Stage 7 Lift, 315-70-16 Cooper STT Pros, RCI Front Bumper, RCI Rear Bumper, Come-up 9k winch, Rigid 30" bar, back-up lights, ditch lights, fogs, ARB front locker, RCI 18" adjustable bed rack, Cascadia RTT, ARB Fridge, ARB twin compressor, Switch-Pros power, Off-grid 4x4 dual battery system
    You can definitely use the OEM engine skid and our transmission skid plate, it is just a little cleaner looking with our engine skid. If the Cat Guard is your primary objective then that is probably your best bet for cost. If you are looking for protection from rocks then definitely consider the engine skid as well because the plate that comes on a Tacoma is about 1/4 the thickness and incredibly vulnerable to damage.

6. Apr 14, 2022 at 3:08 PM
    TWTaco

TWTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Do you have the link (Amazon) for the spacers for the older transmission skids to work with the Cat guards?

7. Jul 13, 2022 at 10:01 PM
    Mike402

Mike402 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Palm Springs, CA
    2020 Custom TRD Off Road
    I can attest to this 100% I live out in the desert and encounter large rocks quite a bit. I smashed the oem skid within a week of owning the truck. I then went with the Toyota TRD aluminum skid and that lasted about 3 months. It actually took some good abuse, but I eventually cracked it in half and finally sprung for the full steel skid package from RCI, incl gas tank and A arms. Even their steel engine skid isn't impenetrable. I wound up bashing in the oil filter access door and had to order a replacement. It has held strong ever since though and the protection I get from it helps me sleep at night.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  8. Aug 2, 2022 at 12:58 PM
    wi_taco

wi_taco My skid plates give rocks taco flavored kisses

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    @RCI-Offroad - this might be a dumb question, but based on OP's photo it looks like the CAT guard "wings" are oriented with the widest part facing towards the front of the vehicle. Is that right? I couldn't tell from the instructions when this product was brand spanking new and I installed the other way, wondering if this might be why I get a phantom rattling at idle sometimes. If so that would be great to find out and save me from pulling out more of my hair.

@ZColorado - looking good and thanks for sharing feedback! One question: Do you have a photo of your exhaust reroute with the T-case skid? I'm having problems with my exhaust shop being big dummies saying it can't be done. I've given them many photos of other trucks using other skids, but it would be helpful to show them another person using the exact same skid to prove it. I'm sure this sounds ridiculous but I swear exhaust guys in my area are acting really mental about this and I don't know why so any help I get will help them. Cheers!

9. Aug 2, 2022 at 7:32 PM
    ZColorado

ZColorado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Near Boulder Colorado
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 6MT
    35's,Kings, NWF, SPC, Archive, Method, RCI, C4

Lots of re-route pictures here. There is a shop here in denver that does a stellar job.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/3rd-gen-exhaust-reroute.569617/page-6

I got the wings like a week after they were released (or at least shortly after release) and I am not sure if mine are tapered like the new ones seem to be.

wi_taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Aug 2, 2022 at 9:20 PM
    wi_taco

wi_taco My skid plates give rocks taco flavored kisses

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    Got it thanks, actually now that I look at my own notes I think I used your photo as one of my examples to the local shop haha.

And no worries about the wings - I just looked at RCI's website and there are some newer images than when I got them (also bought relatively early on I think). I need to go take off my skids anyways to lube the front U joints so I'll tinker with it.

ZColorado[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. Aug 3, 2022 at 9:11 AM
    RCI-Offroad

Member:
    Loveland, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    The OP cat guards are installed correctly, and there was a minor revision made to the cat guards to allow for more adjustability up/down for those retrofitting their already installed transmission skids to fit the cat guards and look slightly different.

I forget the name of the shop, but they are down in Denver and do a super clean re-route!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Aug 3, 2022 at 10:10 AM
    sikTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2Gen Tacoma (DC/LB/4X4)
    I just installed the Transmission Skid + Cat Guards as well (Newest version) and every time I go into reverse I've been getting the same rattling but once it goes into D it's gone. I'm not running a front skid so not sure if that's helping since the front bolts and huge washer in the front of the Trans skid needs to be tighter.

wi_taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Sep 9, 2022 at 5:44 PM
    gregnauman

gregnauman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro
    None
    @RCI-Offroad

Looking at your instructions it seems to show an older model with a notch on the NARROW end. The notch is said to be for alignment bolts. Clearly your instruction’s pictures show the NARROW side with the notch toward the FRONT of the vehicle.

“There is a notch on each of the CAT Guards designed to accommodate the alignment lugs for the front suspension. That notch will need to face towards the front of the skid plate.”

In your response above you answered a question where the poster said he put the NARROW side toward the FRONT of the vehicle, which would be correct with your instructions.

He noted that the OP has them mounted with the WIDE end toward the FRONT of the vehicle.

“but based on OP's photo it looks like the CAT guard "wings" are oriented with the WIDEST part facing towards the FRONT of the vehicle. Is that right?”

Then you responded to the poster that the OP installer was correct……..but it seems he has the WIDE part toward the FRONT of the vehicle.

So my question is which way do they go???

WIDE end toward FRONT?

NARROW end toward FRONT?

The first picture is from your instructions and has the notch on the narrow end which goes to the front according to instructions.

The second picture is of the version I have just received on 9/8, and they do not have a notch on the narrow end. Only a side notch.

Please advise.

5E0A1880-D987-4C3C-A317-FD0BC7090272.jpg
    9D501756-9180-4DCA-9EA0-03849A58AB64.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    Kolter45 and wi_taco like this.
  14. Sep 12, 2022 at 10:08 AM
    RCI-Offroad

Member:
    Loveland, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    The cat guards have had some revisions over time to improve the part and the retrofit process for those customers that had our transmission skid plate prior to our catalytic guards being on the market.

The narrow portion of the catalytic guard will face the front and the notch on the outside portion of the cat guard will align with the frame rail. Checkout the below images and let us know if you have additional questions![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wi_taco likes this.
  15. Sep 12, 2022 at 1:54 PM
    gregnauman

gregnauman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro
    None
    @RCI-Offroad Thanks for the response. I’m actually retrofitting mine onto CBI skids. I haven’t installed them yet but test fit them and it should work. My skid plate bent lip is not quite as wide as yours but it will bolt up to them just fine. Glad you guys developed these.

Here is a pic of the CBI skid edge.

I’ll post some pics once I get them bolted up

AC59A877-886B-4CB5-AF70-BED1E7929FD2.jpg

16. Oct 1, 2022 at 6:25 AM
    18taco_

18taco_ Member

Member:
    Just completed this install on my truck a few weeks ago and very happy with it. Awesome job on the design by RCI.

17. Feb 17, 2023 at 5:54 PM
    Jesse46

Jesse46 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCSB 4x4
    Did you ever find out a solution to your issue? I just installed my transmission skid + cat guards and I seem to have the same issue as you. When i go into reverse and back up slowly, there is some vibration/rubbing feeling that I can feel from the pedals/floor. I have the engine skid plate as well which you mentioned you did not have.

18. Feb 24, 2023 at 10:24 PM
    sikTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2Gen Tacoma (DC/LB/4X4)
    Nope still have the noise every time I go into reverse. Granted I haven't had the chance to trace the sound.

19. Feb 26, 2023 at 11:03 PM
    Jesse46

Jesse46 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCSB 4x4
    I believe the noise(in my case also a rumble/vibration feeling) is from the exhaust/catalytic converter vibrating up against the cat guard. I believe its only on the driver side catalytic converter.

20. Mar 12, 2023 at 11:46 AM
    WAFTLR

WAFTLR Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR DCSB
    Installed skids/cat guards this weekend. I appreciate that RCI is pre-drilling new skids for the cat guards.

20230312_113809.jpg

I did the aft route for the exhaust and wrapped it because I was paranoid about heat issues.

20230311_142923.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top