1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Catastrophic failure caused by lift?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by prerunnerSD, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Jan 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Front Bumper, All-Pro UCAs, Icon ET Coilovers, Icon VS Rear Shocks, TSB Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, CBI Sliders, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps, Deeza HD Sway Bar Links
    They are all forged then detail machined - cheapest way to make them.

1st gen Taco lower ball joint will pop out when it fails. Toyota inverted it for 2nd gens so the weight of the truck keeps the ball in the socket even when the joint wears out.

2. Jan 2, 2013 at 10:41 PM
    CUtacomaTIGER

CUtacomaTIGER Unprofessional Driver

Member:
    Clemson
    Vehicle:
    '01 4X4 SR5 Chrome Stepside
    Black Wheels Window Rain Guards Bed Liner Tow Hitch w/4 Pin Weathertech Floor Mats Flowmaster Deck Plate Mod Window Tint Rear Diff Breather Mod Blacked out Badges
    ^yep the design isn't the best b/c it is complete fail if the joint goes.

i checked both my lowers a week ago by lifting the lca's and placing a prybar inbtwn the joint to get good leverage. my pass side didn't budge at all while my drivef moved a few mm with me pulling as hard as could on the prybar, but i think it is still good enough to last until summer time or spring break at least. i think they say more than 5 mm displacement at 50 lbs is a go for replacement.

but i'll certainty be calling dealer to see if i can get replaced for free but doubt it b/c the mytoyota website which has my VIN has given me any eligible recalls

we had a very bad ball joint on an '85 volvo and the car and steering wheel would shake excessively at a certain turning degree. OP did you notice any shaking at all?

3. Jan 2, 2013 at 10:43 PM
    DoorDing

DoorDing Thank you, Nancy Roman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Was that the original ball joint?

4. Jan 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra TRD OR C/M 5.7l 4x4
    did someone say BJ? :spy:

5. Jan 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    All-Pro Front Bumper, All-Pro UCAs, Icon ET Coilovers, Icon VS Rear Shocks, TSB Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, CBI Sliders, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps, Deeza HD Sway Bar Links
    ^Grinding noises in a BJ is bad news. :eek:

6. Jan 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Unless it's....

No... not that either....

7. Jan 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    Well, it's comforting to know ball joint failures occur on all kinds of vehicles, like this Pathfinder.

Also note the uneven panel gap between the fender and front door.

[​IMG]

8. Feb 16, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    prerunnerSD

prerunnerSD [OP] "I Brake for Tailgaters"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Limited 6 cylinder 4X4
    Grill guard Front and rear Bilstein 5100's Front Coilovers Rear AAL "I Brake for Tailgaters" Firestone Destination A/T (P265/75/R16)
    the lift and bigger tires didn't help ... more trouble than its worth it seems.. think i wanna dial it down a bit to reduce stress

9. Feb 16, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    prerunnerSD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    Grill guard Front and rear Bilstein 5100's Front Coilovers Rear AAL "I Brake for Tailgaters" Firestone Destination A/T (P265/75/R16)
    i think about this in a diiferent way than some of you die hard lift lovers.. like a chain any system is only as strong as its weakest link.. with bigger tires and a lift i added more weight to this "chain" and after a year the weakest link which was the LBJ failed.. would this have happened eventually? maybe.. did the lift and bigger tires allow it to wear more excessively? you betcha!!

but now just trying to understand what to do now? do i just take the lift out all together? i kind of didntt like the way this lift handles anyway... i think the bigger tires are the largest disadvantage but that has nothing to do with the lift.. i heard my angles are bad anyway.. btw billys are set at middle setting.. anyone recommend a shop anywhere in new england? im in boston...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Feb 16, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Maybe? Nope. If a ball joint is kept in service long enough, it will definitely fail. No doubt about it. That's why several people have mentioned the need for inspections, regardless of whether the vehicle is lifted or not. I've seen several cars that suffered catastrophic tie rod end or ball joint failures, and none of them was lifted. More than likely, they'd just run the OEM parts into the ground.

How many miles were on the failed ball joint? That's the critical question. Have your truck's suspension thoroughly inspected and replace the worn out parts. No need to dump the lift or tires unless you're just tired of them. A properly installed lift shouldn't shorten the life of your suspension to the point where you have to replace components all that frequently.

11. Feb 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    prerunnerSD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    thats fair thanks... i think they were original actually and the cv boots had been leaking for months (opps).. check out this pic of the current condition the the suspension... dont you think the angles of all the components are too severe and causing too much stress anyway?? what do i do??

should i put in moog lbj on both sides???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Feb 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    Ahshiet

Ahshiet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maui,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 MG Sport DC 4x4
    Set #1 16x10 ion alloy wheel 31x12.5 super swampers Set#2 17x9 KMC Diesel black 305/65/17 M/T ATZ baja Set#3 TRD offroad wheels painted wrinkle black with H/T tire 275/70/16 Set#4 Weld racing 16x12 Typhoon with 305/70/16 BF KO tires Set#5 Weld racing 16.5x12 36x16 fun country Set#6 TRD rugged edition wheels 305/75/16 baja claws Set#7 16x10 procomp steel "beadlooks" 33x12.50 TSL Boggers Spider track spacers in front Wet Okole black seat covers fronts with pockets,back and armrest HIDs high Lexus projector fogs h11 hid 3500k Toyota bed mat black trd exhaust Fujita intake black Xrunner badges carbon fiber door sills Alpine double din 2 8" bazookas (modded) 2 Alpine type-r 8's in tubes Rockford fosgate 1500w silverstar blinker bulbs front and back Led lic plate bulbs Led dome light Led map lights Black eBay headlights VHT night shade tails and 3rd brake light Custom made rear fog lights(next to 3rd brake light) Sticker bombed bed walls and pass. A-pill
    Seen it happen on a back road on a stock truck 8miles from a paved road

13. Feb 16, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    prerunnerSD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    my gut is that my lift needs to be tweaked a little... its a lil too high for me anyway im 5'7 and i feel like it way to high up... its got the eibach front coil springs and the adjust billsteins at middle setting...

14. Feb 16, 2013 at 6:28 PM
    prerunnerSD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    aaah i dont wanna die!

15. Feb 16, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    prerunnerSD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    eeh u can keep ur lift im all for it but my gut says it causes more wear and i'll never shake that thought.. mebbe not hauling an elephant wear but it changes things no doubt

16. Feb 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Do you plan to do the work yourself or have a shop do it?

I once rebuilt a beat to piss Chevy LUV 4X4. Most of the front suspension was shot, but I didn't know what needed to be replaced, and I didn't have enough money to replace everything. I took it to a good suspension shop and asked for an inspection, with the agreement that I'd pay them do the alignment and adjust the torsion suspension after I replaced the parts they found bad. They were cool with that agreement and it worked out well for the shop and me.

If you're willing to do the work yourself, that's the route I'd suggest. Once the worn out suspension parts are identified and replaced, the suspension can be adjusted and aligned, with the CV joint angles being considered. Running a lift will shorten the life of the CV joints, since they're having to deal with more of an offset load. If yours are ok, you may be able to improve the lifespan of the boots by stretching them a little (search for threads). Replacement drive axles (or whatever Toyota calls them) aren't all that expensive, btw.

Once you have everything tip top, spend some time learning how to perform the necessary inspections, or make sure a shop does it at least annually - more frequently if you offroad much. Also, thoroughly inspect the CV boots at every oil change to avoid unscheduled down time.

17. Feb 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Sure, a lift will cause more wear, but we aren't talking about the difference between several years for OEM compared to mere months for a lifted truck. If that were the case, there'd be all kinds of people posting about ball joint failure every day. Greaseable, aftermarket parts will last longer than non-greaseable OEM equivalents as long as they're maintained. Everything will eventually fail, but a good inspection routine will probably catch a failing part before something bad happens. Of course, all bets are off for offroad use.

18. Feb 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    prerunnerSD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    i would love to do it myself but my left hand is casted from surgery and im living in the middle of no wear it seems like no one can recommend a mechanic in boston lol... i dont mind taking care of my truck but this might work out better if i was back living in san diego where the roads are better and its easier to find parts and people who kno this truck...

im looking for a practical way to make this thing safe to drive for now.. mebbe reduce the lift a lil and put on stock tires which i can get easy enough...

19. Feb 16, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Sorry to hear about the hand. Good luck with that.
    Just find a suspension or frame shop and see what an inspection reveals. At the least, both LCA ball joints will need to be replaced, but other parts may also need to be refreshed. You can always try a dealership and see what they say. That might be a good reference point for competing bids.

Once the worn out stuff is replaced, the lift can be lowered if that's what you want. No matter what, worn out parts need to go.

20. Jun 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    Milowilli

Milowilli Milowilli

Member:
    First Name:
    Miles
    Naples FL
    Vehicle:
    05/ 07,09/11Tacoma access cab 4x4
    Bad design on First Gen Tacomas, Tundras, Sequoias, and 3rd Gen 4Runners..
    As I said before Toyota Screwed up on this one big time. These failures only occur on these gen trucks...it's a shame.

To Top