1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Caution: Earnhardt Toyota

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by T-rev, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Jan 29, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    azgunrunner

azgunrunner A guy that knows a guy, that knows a guy...

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport
    ADS 2.5, Dakar leaf springs KMF sliders CBI Ditch light mounts, DD SS3 pods Bumpers pending OBA pending
    Negative, shortly after the bracelets were put on, I think the place knew I wasn't screwing around anymore and my keys appeared. After checking his wants/warrants with dispatch (using the salesman's desk phone), I released him.

Made for a funny briefing the next morning, I had to explain why I was phoning in a wants/warrant check while off duty. Later that morning my LT had a talk with me about community policing BS....blah blah blah... and that was the end of it... Fast forward 15 years and I still won't do business with any of the Earnhardt clowns...

2. Jan 29, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Funny! I bet they no longer use keys as hostage, they probably moved on to driver's licenses.

3. Jan 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    That's just a shame.

4. Jan 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I bet they still do.

5. Jan 30, 2013 at 3:45 PM
    Brian007Taco

Brian007Taco 007Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    If you ask. You don't know me very well!
    Mesa, AZ to NM to OK to UT back to Mesa
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD OR 4x4 DCSB (aka Clifford the Big Red Truck)
    12 OR DCSB 4x4 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultra Terrain wrapped on MB352's. OME 886's w/5100's front and back, and Dakars. Derped Emblems. KM Fab sliders, Mobtown Front and back bumpers w/tire gate, KM Fab Bed Rack, Bestop Supertop, Matt Gecko bed lights. Tree Smashed Taco 06 OR AC Prerunner! OME 885 with 5100's in front, TSB and AAL with 5125's in back. 30" light bar in the valance.
    I've been going to Earnhart for a couple of years now and haven't had any problems. The guy I have been dealing with is Matt and he has been awesome. Sucks that you had a bad experience.

I stopped going to Big Two after a year. I loved the service when they were in Mesa and was treated like a customer. It wasn't until they moved to Chandler when I stopped being treated like a customer. There would be times I would show up and several people in back of me would get serviced before me. I felt like a number instead of a name. On two occations I had stuff stolen out of my truck. I had $5 in quarters stolen one time and the other time $100 of a prescription I had tucked away in the bottom of the center console that I had forgotten about. I didn't have insurance at the time and as a result I was paying out of pocket. The service manager there was a jerk and told me it was my fault for having the stuff stolen. I could understand about the quarters as they were in plain site, but the medication that was all the way in the bottom of the center console with stuff on top of it and out of site. I was one pissed guy.

6. Jan 30, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Hmmm... "prescription"? :rolleyes:

7. Jan 30, 2013 at 5:35 PM
    seric007

seric007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I regret to say I purchased my truck from them, before I did a SINGLE mod to it i had alignment issues, took it to them 3 times ... they couldn't get it right. Third time they "did an alignment" and "couldn't find the spec sheet" well the truck drove like shit. I don't know what the hell they were doing each time they had it for 8 hours, but it wasn't an alignment.

moral of the story: i fix my own shit and do my own alignments and mount my own damn tires. WHY? Because of stories like the one the OP just stated.

8. Feb 5, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    4OYOTER

4OYOTER Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Cedar Park, TX
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    I bought my first Taco from them in 2011. It was an '09 that already had 93k on it.. Got a smokin' deal on it and being it was my first truck, I drove the heck out of it - put 5,000 miles on it the first month. I played around in the mud quite a bit and immediately after one of my muddin trips I started hearing a strange noise whenever I pushed the clutch in. I also developed an issue with the fan/vent controls. IIRC, I could only use the max fan option and anything lower wouldn't work.

After the first month I took it back to them for an oil change and had them check out the concerns. I ended up with an estimate for $1,000+ in work to have the throw out bearing replaced and some solenoid for the fan controls.

Being this was my first dealership experience and first vehicle I had ever financed, I was pretty upset. Even though the truck had no warranty whatsoever, I was upset that it needed work after only one month.

I shared this with the service manager (I want to say his name was Jim, but I really can't remember). He recommended I talk to the sales department about it. Long story short, the sales department ended up paying to have the work done. On the basis that it was my first experience with Earnhardt and they wanted to earn my business. They even put me in a rental car while the truck was with them.

Then... I got a phone call from the service manager advising me that when they opened the transmission they found massive amounts of mud inside and they were almost certain the throw out bearing issue was caused by my "offroading".

Anyways, they ended up covering the whole cost regardless.. And I'm pretty sure the throw out bearing was my fault. I didn't realize it was so easy to suck mud into there because of the vents.

Needless to say, I was quite impressed with my experience at Earnhardt.. Just my two cents.. I now live in Texas so I haven't been there in a few years though.

9. Feb 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    blatant

blatant Well-Known Member

Member:
  10. Feb 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    JerryTaco

JerryTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Unfortunately, some stealerships will try to rob unsuspecting customers if given the opportunity. I myself had an experience with Right Toyota in Scottsdale with my 05 Tacoma dcsb 4x4. I brought it in several years ago to get my 90k mile service, and the service manager said that I needed to replace my timing belt, at a cost of $2,500.. Thankfully, I knew my truck quite well, and given that I have a pretty extensive automotive background(I was a master certified tech for Ferrari, Bentley, Lambo, and Aston Martin at the time) I called their bluff, reported the fraud the the dealership management, and consequently, the service manager was fired..

It really is sad that they try to rob people in such ways, but a little knowhow, and a second opinion will usually keep your money in your wallet.. I've since traded that truck for a 2012, and still get it serviced at Right Toyota..

11. Feb 11, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    Phil Dammit

Phil Dammit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    Its not, sounds like a shady service advisor trying to drum up some business

Last i checked you cant do that on yelp

Where were you when this roady jaunted out 3ft into my lane the other day and the scottsdale cop on the moto took it upon himself to inform that bikes can use the road too and that i shouldn be honking at him. Even though he didn notice with his ear buds in.

Yeah never leave anything in your car, lot rats will always steal shit. Nhen again the dealer should have replaced the drugs.

Spec sheet? How long ago was this?

Wow, you worked the system. Cant ebelive the dealer ate that repair.

Thats wierd...cuz the same manager is still there try not to lie too hard, its not becoming of a toyota owner. The previous was fired for laundering money and the other passed away. Right has the best parts department in the valley, service manager is pretty good, the writers are hit and mis, and the sales guys are as sleazy as they get. However they are the only ones i get parts and warranty/recall work done.

12. Feb 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    JerryTaco

Member:
    Thats wierd...cuz the same manager is still there try not to lie too hard, its not becoming of a toyota owner. The previous was fired for laundering money and the other passed away. Right has the best parts department in the valley, service manager is pretty good, the writers are hit and mis, and the sales guys are as sleazy as they get. However they are the only ones i get parts and warranty/recall work done.[/QUOTE]

Just conveying what I was told Phil.. I do know for a fact that the service writer was gone right after that, and to this day is still not there.. Warranty work has been hit or miss with them.. Sometimes they are willing to fix things, and other times not so much. Getting them to to do the leaf spring TSB on my 05 was like pulling teeth, but after much persistence they finally finally made the repair free of charge.. Other than that I have problems with their techs sometimes misdiagnosing, or just not fixing things right.. If it weren't the only dealership close to my office, I likely wouldn't go there.

13. Feb 12, 2013 at 3:08 PM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    Writer is one thing, a shady writer are a dime a dozen, however a manager is another thing. Hmmmm listening to how lower end vehicle owners and dealerships operate amazes me.

14. Feb 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Where I got my Tacoma the Dealership was awesome they sent guy about 70 miles just to get the Tacoma I had asked for they took the offer I had given them. Toyota needs to investigate dealerships because the consumer perceives the dealership as representing the company. If the found out about your experience it would be nice if they yanked the dealership agreement from the sleezbags and gave someone else a deal instead.

15. Feb 12, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    JerryTaco

Member:
    Phil-This issue is not exclusive to "lower end vehicles" as you've put it.. I've worked at the highest end car dealerships out there and they too will try to scam any unsuspecting owners.. Really, a lot of the shadyness falls on the service writer in most cases.. Point is, educate yourself, know your vehicle and what you are talking about and you can avoid being scammed.... Phil, we all know that you however know everything there is to know about everything because you are the king of the universe.. :p I've unfortunately had the displeasure of listening to your ramblings first hand on the Gnar van, and this forum is no different... So keep preaching

16. Feb 14, 2013 at 4:59 PM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    Was your dealership the number 2 in the nation becuase we never had issues like this with our writers. Btw nice to see youve got a big mouth behind a screen, way to man up in person.

17. Feb 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    With 16 posts, you should kinda be a little more carfull who you decide to try and insult. Phill has been a wealth of knowledge on the site, and knows quite a bit about the industry.

Gentalmen. Can we refrain from any type of personal attacks on one another? Please? :cool:

18. Feb 14, 2013 at 5:16 PM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    Sure chris, but only because you asked nicely.

19. Feb 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    :cool::)

Products Discussed in

To Top