1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cb antenna help?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by hard2kill, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Feb 24, 2012 at 8:02 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    im looking for a decent antenna an cable thats simple to install with good clean short range performance...i dnt think ill ever need more the 1mile of range..is this kit a good choice...ive read alot of good things about ngp ant/cables...

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/f...-kit-right-channel-radios-1.html?options=cart

also did any of need a noise filter? if so what did you use?

this is the radio i have
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/177401-cobra-18-wx-st-ii-cb-radio-bnib.html

2. Feb 25, 2012 at 4:26 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    I would suggest a Little Wilson. Super easy to install and cheap. I never had much luck with the Firestik NGP and that's with the same radio you have.

3. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    Did u not like the ngp or firestik in general? I'm tryin to avoid running a ground since are beds plastic and it would be a long ground... I have a antenna mount for my bedrail that I'll be using so no magnet mount antennas

4. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    LUSETACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    I ran that exact set-up and performance was VERY poor. Switched to a little Wil and it was like night and day. With the firestik i was lucky to get a mile range. Trust me on this, and no offense, that radio is going to need all the help it can get. Even with a Wilson 1000, a linear amp and the Cobra 18 I got 5 miles at best. I'm not saying it can't be done, but don't expect much from it.

5. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
  6. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    beckleyota

beckleyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    wv
    Vehicle:
    o7 taco
    vent visors,tint,kenwood headunit, trex eyelids,kenwood componants,5100's,1 aal,cabellas seatcovers,painted stereo suround
    Willson 1000 will b pleantyt for that radio. I personaly like a whip antenna cheap n easy to install. To ground Ur antenna just run a wire from it mount to Ur frame it works fine for me

7. Feb 25, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    honestly i only want it on the trail so a group of 10+ guys dnt have to get out to make a decision on which trail to take ya know...dnt plan on ever needing it for long range nothing more then a mile or so...just want it clear as possible most of the time ill be within 100yrds of who im talking to......if its not too much trouble could you post a link to the antenna and cable you would recomend....as you can see im just starting with cb's an have no clue...also what about a noise filter?

8. Feb 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    beckleyota

beckleyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    wv
    Vehicle:
    o7 taco
    vent visors,tint,kenwood headunit, trex eyelids,kenwood componants,5100's,1 aal,cabellas seatcovers,painted stereo suround
    Noise filter is is good if u need it but not necessary

9. Feb 25, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    LUSETACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    A Wilson silver load or better yet a Wilson Flex would be a good choice. Francis and Skip Shooter are good fiberglass antennas also. Just pay a little more for better coax. Just like the antenna, you don't want to skimp on the coax. You will need to ground these but it's really not that big of a deal. Just run some heavy wire (8 or 12 gauge) from the mount to the frame. Just make sure the ground is touching bare metal. Also you will need to tne the antenna with an SWR meter or get a shop to do it for you.

10. Feb 25, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    Ok Kool so a Wilson flex 4ft do u recomend a cable? Or should I just google search it ? I wanna thank you for all ur help buddy

11. Feb 25, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    LUSETACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
  12. Feb 26, 2012 at 5:50 AM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    Thanx buddy...

Products Discussed in

To Top