1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB/HAM communications

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 2015whitetaco, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Dec 10, 2015 at 4:08 PM
    Lars

Lars Radio Active

Member:
    First Name:
    Lars
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tundra TRD RockWarrior
    Yes.
    Funny y'all should ask. A few weeks ago I gave a presentation to 7 people, plus 24 more who watched the stream online on "Mobile Radio Communications"

You can view the slides from this presentation here: http://www.slideshare.net/W9ZEB/mobile-radio-communications

The short version is "THERE IS NO ONE BEST RADIO SOLUTION" usually the answer lies across two, or maybe more. I'd recommend for anyone willing to do a little bit of leg work to install the following in their off road rig.
    • A CB Radio, with a good, high quality antenna. (Firestick/Wilson/K40 all make good antennas.)
    • A Ham Radio (Specifically 2m, or 2m & 70cm dual band.) This can be an Handheld, although mobiles, with good high quality external antennas work FAR better.
    Between these two services you're likely to be able to communicate. The options on the ham radio side are nearly limitless. However ham radio is a hobby, and not a "radio service." as a result it requires being willing to learn how to use your radio system. It's not as simple as "ch 8, push mic, talk" although really not too far off from that.

Eventually the stream from my talk will get posted. I'll pop in with a link once that happens. PLEASE feel free to ask me any questions you have.

Chipskip and Doc.SS like this.
  2. Dec 10, 2015 at 4:10 PM
    Lars

Lars Radio Active

Member:
    First Name:
    Lars
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tundra TRD RockWarrior
    Yes.
    Doc.SS likes this.
  3. Dec 10, 2015 at 6:10 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    Lars likes this.
  4. Dec 10, 2015 at 6:18 PM
    2015whitetaco

2015whitetaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pleasant Hill
    Vehicle:
    2000 Ford F-250 7.3 powerstroke 96 4runner POS
    Thanks @Lars that is extremely helpful

Lars likes this.
  5. Dec 14, 2015 at 4:00 PM
    redrider58

redrider58 KG7TBQ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Silver DCLB 4x4
    Mods: Not enough
    I am not trying to get into a pissing match with you by any means, and I apologize for stepping on your toes, but that statement is actually false. Baofengs UV5R is FCC part 90 approved which allows you to talk out of amateur band. Race radio is typically in VHF 150-155mhz, aka commerical or business band, that commerical band does not require individual licenses during races. The race promoters like SCORE and BITD, have a license to cover it. Several teams used to pay to have their own frequency but I have seen that slowly fading. Chances of being discovered and caught is very low, especially in Baja.

I do agree with you on everything else. Ham radio is an incredible hobby that has the potential to save lives and more. I got into amateur radio when I was 19 and have been into it for just over a year now (im 20 now). I know normal stereotype for a HAM is a middle age man, but I find this hobby quite interesting and I guess i am breaking the stereotype. I have gotten many of my friends to show interest in it. I can go on and talk about radio stuff for hours if any of you guys have questions.

For anyone looking to get into amateur radio, you can ask pretty much ask any questions to a ham operator. Most of the time, they will gladly help.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    2015whitetaco[OP] and Chipskip like this.
  6. Dec 14, 2015 at 6:05 PM
    redrider58

redrider58 KG7TBQ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Silver DCLB 4x4
    Also, on another note, if any of you guys are into offroad racing, communication is a big deal and if you have a ham license, you already know more about radios than about 99% of everyone else at the races. Which means you most likely know how work all the equipment and to use it at the best of its ability. That just alone makes you a big asset to any racing team. We have a motorcycle team that does a lot of the SCORE and BITD (Best In The Desert) stuff. When you are racing, now that is remote stuff. I made a couple J-pole antennas and tuned it for our race frequency. From testing on 5 watts, I was talking to guys 30-40 miles away. Bump to 65watts and higher elevation, I was working guys 120 miles away. The 2nd pic is of the chase truck i was driving in vegas 2 reno. Not only can you talk to the other chase trucks from a big distance away, you can talk with your driver/rider and see whats going on.

What made ham radio badass for me was when one of BJ baldwins chase crew was pitting next to us and they were having problems with the radio and antenna and couldn't hear very far out. I let them use our setup and they were shocked.

Tacoma J-pole.jpg
    V2R.jpg

7. Dec 15, 2015 at 6:32 AM
    iK0NiK

iK0NiK Insert custom title here.

Member:
    First Name:
    West
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRDOR 4WD
    Bil 6112/5160's etc.
    No offense taken whatsoever. I didn't realize that the Baofengs were FCC approved to operate out of band. Thanks for the correction and the info!

redrider58[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Dec 15, 2015 at 9:47 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    I like that setup!

I use a long broom stick with a 5 gallon paint can on top with a mag mount 5/8 antenna. Looks ghetto but works well enough while out at the remote pits. I'll be upgrading to a J-Pole made by KB9VBR, he has an option specificaly for the race radio band..

FB_IMG_1450201117506.jpg
    980782_606407106037033_776471636_o.jpg

redrider58[QUOTED] and Chipskip like this.
  9. Dec 15, 2015 at 10:53 AM
    redrider58

redrider58 KG7TBQ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Silver DCLB 4x4
    Thanks. I like the broom stick! I actually have 2 of KB9VBR's J-poles. I have some other home brew ones. The collapsible jpoles are the only way to go, makes transport way easier. But I would recommend going with a slim jim instead of the j-pole if you only care about performance. Get it up above the trees and that thing is awesome. And the Slim jim is higher gain.

To Top