1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB or HAM Radio

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by H0LLYW00D, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Aug 24, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    H0LLYW00D

H0LLYW00D [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Working on the parts list for my truck to firm up the cost and create a build schedule and im working on the radio option, here is was im deciding between:
    1) Cobra 29 LTD Classic
    2) Yaesu FT8900R
    Also I am trying to figure a way to mount it into the truck and was thinking about under the bottom switches in front of the center console, with hopfully enough room for a row of ARB rocker switches, will that work with either radio? Also antena mounts is there away to mount it between the bed and the cab and have it fold or quick detach when its not in use?

2. Aug 24, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    The cb will do you just fine until you take and pass the test for ham and get your operating license to use it:)

3. Aug 24, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    H0LLYW00D

Member:
    i fully intend on getting a license but mor interested if i can use one radio for both bands or do i needs two seperate radios?

4. Aug 24, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    barlowrs

barlowrs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Build Thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/builds/74926-barlowrs-06-taco-expo-build-thread.html OME Lift, FJ SE Wheels, 255/85 KM2, Allpro Plate Bumper, 8K Winch, Synthetic Line, Yaesu FT-8800R, Custom Sliders Sockmonkey bedside decals, BHLM, base model grille, TRD offroad (black) trim
    You will want both. I run a 8900R in my rig, which is great when you want to reach out and touch someone, however, most people do not have their license, so when you go on group trips, you will need a CB.

Start with a CB, then, once you get your license, go for the HAM

5. Aug 24, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    fhlashsf

fhlashsf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Danville, CA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Off Road Double Cab 4x4
    Weathertechs, Avid bolt-on sliders and light bar, 17" ATX Thug wheels, BF Goodrich AT 285/70/17 tires, Icom 2820 Dstar radio, OME 3" lift, color matched rear bumper and Grillecraft grille, Wet Okole seat covers, ARM bed extender, black badges, Sockmonkey decals, HID headlight and foglights, TRD cat back exhaust, TRD CAI, URD MAF calibrator, Kenwood 6960 HU, Image Dynamic front and back speakers, ARC Audio Sub in Mr. Marv custom sub box and amp rack, Tuffy security box for bed.
    You can listen to the CB channels on a Ham radio but you can't transmit. I have a Ham radio in my truck, I prefer ICOM's DStar radios. If you have a DStar repeater near you the voice quality is crystal clear and you can speak around the world with just a few watts power.

6. Aug 24, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    H0LLYW00D

Member:
    my hope is to find a HAM radio that will work on CB so that i dont need to radios and i can use it as a CB Radio until i get a license then im good to go.

7. Aug 25, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    barlowrs

barlowrs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Build Thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/builds/74926-barlowrs-06-taco-expo-build-thread.html OME Lift, FJ SE Wheels, 255/85 KM2, Allpro Plate Bumper, 8K Winch, Synthetic Line, Yaesu FT-8800R, Custom Sliders Sockmonkey bedside decals, BHLM, base model grille, TRD offroad (black) trim

I have heard of HAM being "hacked" to work, however, it is illegal, and I woudl not suggest it. Take a look at my build thread, I have both HAM and CB, but you would never know it until I have them plugged in and running (aside from the antenna)

8. Aug 25, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    it depends upon who else you're trying to communicate with.

9. Sep 2, 2010 at 12:57 AM
    MadeInMaine

MadeInMaine MadeInMaine

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Biloxi, MS
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
  10. Sep 2, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    The FT-8900 will not be able to listen to or transmit on CB for a couple reasons.

First the FT-8900 coverage begins at 28Mhz on the amateur 10m band. CB operates at 26-27Mhz on the 11m band.

Second the FT-8900 is a FM radio. CB operates on AM and SSB.

My recommendation is to pass on the FT-8900 for a couple reasons. The FT-8900 is a quad band. Although there is some activity on 6m FM it is not much and 10m FM is virtually useless. So the addition of these two bands will force you to buy a funky quad-band antenna. Not only are they the ugliest antennas on the planet, but they are not going to have the performance of a good dual band antenna.

Final recommendation:

If your budget is around the price of the 8900 i suggest the FT-8800 or the Kenwood TM-V71A. The reason i mention the kenwood is that the yaesu radios have the mic connector on the face. so if you plan to mount the transceiver in the back and just mount the face up front then you are stuck having your mic come out of the face. The kenwood will allow you to run a separate cable from the tranceiver to the mic and control head. This will allow you to mount the face up high or anywhere else and have the mic come out from under the center console.

For CB:

Just keep one of those small CB radios mounted somewhere else for when you need CB.

For Antennas:

The best mounting point is smack dab in the middle of the cab roof. on the bed rail behind the cab is absolutely the worst place to mount antenna. The metal in the cab will cause your radiation pattern to be highly directional and cause issues with SWR. the only reason anyone mounts it there is for convenience. The best alternative convenience place i have found is to mount it off a custom bracket off the hood hinge. Send a PM to copperT to get a picture of his. I made the bracket for him.

Products Discussed in

To Top