1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB Radio Help...SWR off the meter

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Sapper26, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Dec 8, 2009 at 11:08 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    Put the switch to FWD and while transmitting, turn the knob so that the needle swings over to the far right of the scale. You will probably see the word SET or a red mark at the end of the scale - make the needle line up with this.
    Once this is done, and while still transmitting, switch over to REF and the needle should drop down to give you a nice low reading. If the needle hardly moves when you switch over or does not come out of the red portion of the scale - STOP transmitting - you have a problem, probably with the groundplane connection.

2. Dec 9, 2009 at 4:51 PM
    Sapper26

Sapper26 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    99 Xtra Cab 4x4
    Yeah...I do all of that, but instead of the needle dropping down somewhere between 1 and 3 scale when I change the switch, the needle goes the other direction.

3. Dec 9, 2009 at 5:13 PM
    DTacoms

DTacoms Well-Known Member

Member:
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB BSP
    Possibly a short or open connection somewhere.

4. Dec 19, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    Also, make sure your connections are tight. Could be a bad meter as well. Does your friend who's radio you borrowed have one? Even though you are receiving transmissions, without having the SWRs set correctly, you're not transmitting efficiently & power is being directed back into your radio.:eek:

5. Dec 19, 2009 at 8:47 PM
    Sapper26

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    99 Xtra Cab 4x4
    My neighbor finally got his CB installed in his Jeep Cherokee. Before we installed everything we made sure to test EVERYTHING with a multimeter to make sure there was nothing wrong. When we hooked up the SWR meter it did the exact same thing on his system as it has been doing on mine. I am thinking that the SWR meter is bad. I drove my truck over a mile away and we were able to talk to each other and the transmissions on both ends were crystal clear.
    One thing I did notice was that when I reverse the wires on the SWR meter the meter drops to a more acceptable range (1-2). This is with the radio wire going to the antenna post on the meter and vise versa. I guess its possible that the manufacturer mislabeled the posts?

6. Dec 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    Sapper26

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    99 Xtra Cab 4x4
    Today I hooked up my meter on my truck and my neighbors truck. I reversed the wires from what the meter is labeled and was able to tune both antennas to around 1.5.

Most of the websites say that a bad SWR meter is pretty rare, but after seeing how mine was either mislabeled or had the polarity reversed I could imagine this being pretty common. I would definitely check your system with another meter before changing a bunch of things.

7. Dec 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    Sapper26

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    99 Xtra Cab 4x4
    Today I hooked up my meter on my truck and my neighbors truck. I reversed the wires from what the meter is labeled and was able to tune both antennas to around 1.5.

Most of the websites say that a bad SWR meter is pretty rare, but after seeing how mine was either mislabeled or had the polarity reversed I could imagine this being pretty common. I would definitely check your system with another meter before changing a bunch of things.

Products Discussed in

To Top