1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB Troubleshooting. Share your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by BradleyScottETC, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Jun 7, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Save yourself the aggravation and get a little wilson.....done. .02

2. Jun 7, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    A. you're meter is not in "calibration" mode is it?
    B. #6 AWG is right. 4' is too long, can you get it to the truck body sooner? Think direct connection-sometimes longer ground line can act as a radiater and throw everything off.
    C. antenna may have an electrical short within it (defective build) can you return it for a second one and start from scratch?

3. Jun 7, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC [OP] Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    No, I know how to use the SWR meter correctly.

I agree with the 4', I'm wanting some folks with similar set ups to show where they grounded, and how they achieved a manageable ratio. I can't figure out a more perfect, closer place than the bolt I used on the frame to ground at.

As far as the antenna goes, it could be bad... But I've checked it electrically for grounds or shorts- I need to ohm it from the base to the adjustment to make sure it's not shorted I suppose. I'll do that tomorrow.

4. Jun 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    sorry I hadda ask-even the best of us have done it on occasion:) as I read your 1st post I was well aware of your radio knowledge.
    I hope you find the answer. I honestly think starting fresh with another antenna is the quickest way out of this. Good luck.

5. Jun 7, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    BradleyScottETC

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    Thanks man. I've got a 10' whip antenna that was on my truck before, I'm going to throw that on tomorrow.

6. Jun 7, 2011 at 10:06 PM
    Stupid hurts.

Stupid hurts. Hoogie boogie!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    So☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    '07 5-Lug Impluse Red Pearl Access Cab 2WD
    American Motorsports Front Long Travel Kit, Total Chaos Rear Dual Shock Hoop Kit, Engage 50T Leaf Pack, Engage Front & Rear Hangers, American Motorsports Shackles
    I'm having the same issue you're having and haven't found a solution for it yet. Antenna is just sitting in my truck. Got my friend's Firestik up and running perfect though. Got frustrated so I haven't even touched it since. :eek:

7. Jun 7, 2011 at 10:08 PM
    BradleyScottETC

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    I know a lot of people are having this problem, I'm going to get it figured out if it drives me mad!

The only real solution is to get a NGP antenna so far... But I refuse to give up that easy.

8. Jun 7, 2011 at 10:15 PM
    BradleyScottETC

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    My CB is wired in the exact manner as you are describing. I am not running the 6' cable, I just swapped it out to see if that would make a difference, I'm running the 17' (I know I said 12' in the first post, but it's a 17'), and it is, exactly as you described, coiled in an oblong circle under my carpet.

My question is, what is your SWR on this setup?

9. Jun 7, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    2010Tacoma4x4

2010Tacoma4x4 "Man Ho"

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 SR5
    Tinted windows, Bug deflector, Rain guards, Bed mat, Rear leaf TSB, Bilsteins front & rear (front set @ 1.75), 16x8 chrome Helo wheels, Toyo open country AT P265/75/R16 tires. CBI bolt on sliders. BSP color matched M1 Satoshi grill. BHLM. UWS low profile black powder coat crosover truckbox. Pioneer DVD/CD head unit - 4 channel amp - front mids & highs - 8" sub box.
    Many years ago I was in the biz installing CB's and accessories. Firesticks are a little tricky to set up but once tuned in they work great.
    First it sounds like you may be running a little short with a 4' stick. FS recommends that at least 2/3 of the antenna extend above the roof of the cab.
    You may be able to adjust what you have since you are able to read a SWR now. In my day you just had to remove the plastic cover on the tip and either pull the coiled wire and spread it apart or sometimes cut the coil shorter.
    I think most Firesticks have an adjustable threaded rod on top now. It is just something you will have to play with and see if you can determine which way to go to get tuned in.
    Here are some tech tips from FS website that may help.....
    http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

10. Jun 8, 2011 at 4:56 PM
    BradleyScottETC

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    Alright guys. Here's where I am now (day 3).

I tried the veteran advice I got from the local CB guy in town (and some of yous guys) and shortened the ground wire to about 5-7" (from the 4' I had) and had my dad help me get at one of the 10mm bolts that hold the drivers rear quarter panel on- the closest one to the top.

SWR read about 4.5-5:1, just as it was before.

I then connected BOTH the 4' ground to the chassis (the original)AND the new one.

I got 1.7:1 on channel 1. 3:1 on channel 40, and 4.5:1 on channel 20.

Cleaned up my tools, threw away all my snipped wire ends and wire ties, and checked again.

3.5:1 on chan 1, 20, and 40.

It went back up. It's the best so far, but it's still too high. Adjusting the tip shorter made it slightly worse, so it's sitting and full length.

I think what this is telling me that the 4' firestik II is just too short for our trucks. I think the ground scheme I have right now is actually very good, and if I can get ahold of a longer firestik, I could get my SWR in a manageable range without a NGP setup.

It'll probably be awhile yet before I'll use the CB, so I'm going to work on it some more and see if there is anything I can do, and of course I'll post my findings, but I think a longer antenna is the only real solution.

11. Jun 8, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    BradleyScottETC

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    You're right, the antenna I have is, at best 50% higher than my truck top. I am considering that maybe adding a spring or something will get me to that 16.6% of more length I need.

12. Jun 9, 2011 at 2:59 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    Just Installed a 2 foot firestick no ground plane ant. to my delta poly toolbox. under 1.5 all around. It is mounted about 5 inches behind cab on side of box. Approx 1/2 of the stick is above the cab. seems o.k.

Products Discussed in

To Top