1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CBI Overland Bed rack vs. Shell

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Jon_B_1993, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Dec 19, 2021 at 2:46 PM
    Jon_B_1993

Jon_B_1993 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lunar Rock Tacoma TRD Off Road
    None Yet
    I just purchased a 2022 TRD Offroad Tacoma (Extended Cab, 6 ft. bed, Lunar Rock).

I have a RTT (Thule Tepui 2 Person) was originally for my Jeep which was totaled. Would love some advice on the following three options:

1) Return my RTT and get a Shell.

OR

2)Get the CBI overland bed rack and mount the RTT.

OR

3) Keep the RTT, and mount it on a shell.(Is this possible?)

Pictures below of the new Taco rolling off the lot.

IMG_0106.jpg IMG_0094.jpg

soysauce021, kas2828 and Longtech like this.
  2. Dec 19, 2021 at 2:52 PM
    71tattooguy

71tattooguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dino
    Petaluma , Ca (707)
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD OFF- ROAD
    Kings 2.5” front and rears from Accutune / ICON RXT LEAF PACK black badges doors and tailgate / method 315 / 255/85/16 Yokohama G003 / magnaflow exhaust , axle dump / meso int delete kit / meso led map lights / dome lights / wheelers front super bumps / accutune Flip kit with spacer and new bumps / Cali raised fog light pods / Cali raised ditch lights / RCI FULL SKIDS / SLIDERS / RCI rear bumper / rigid backup lights / tuned on 4.88’s
    Welcome :hattip: Nice Rig.

Jon_B_1993[OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 19, 2021 at 10:58 PM
    pnwtacoma_

pnwtacoma_ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    Solar Octane '23 Tacoma TRD PRO
    BuiltRight Industries Bedside Rack, Baja Designs Amber S2 Pro on CBI ditch mount brackets, Baja Designs Amber Squadron, Switch-Pros PowerTray for SP9100
    Congrats on your new rig! You definitely have options. Use case will determine which way you proceed, cost and lead times too.

With my truck (a TRD OR-P DCLB) we with @DiamondBack Covers HD and will be running the Front Runner bed rack system on it. It allows us to keep the iKamper mounted on the truck bed and still have lockable storage.

Of course you can also find shells that'll accommodate a tent, but they tend to be spendy! AluCab Canopy is $3,950 whereas the AluCab Canopy Camper is $9,499 – your GFC platform campers start at $6,950 with about an 8-10 week lead time.

4. Dec 19, 2021 at 11:01 PM
    Jayhat

Jayhat Well-Known Member

Member:

You can get the alu cab explorer shell for $3k

5. Dec 20, 2021 at 12:24 AM
    Longtech

Longtech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Long
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    15' OR converted 4WD
    I got my RTT mounted on my rack and rack is mounted to my shell. Shell holds it up fine no problems.

6. Dec 20, 2021 at 12:52 AM
    YotaGangYotaGang

YotaGangYotaGang PreRunners are wannabe 4x4’s

Member:
    Covina
    Vehicle:
    95, 97, 01 Tacoma | 06 Tundra | 07 FJ Cruiser | 08 Prius
    A rtt i never use and 30 light bars
    i would get a ARE contractor high roof 48” aluminum shell with wedge, windoors, barn doors on the rear and just sleep in ther

71tattooguy likes this.
  7. Jan 16, 2022 at 12:05 PM
    Tull2020

Tull2020 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2020 Grey Tacoma Pro
    Congrats on the new rig.

Anyone have experience with RLD canopy (vs. Alucab?)

8. Jan 16, 2022 at 2:15 PM
    GladiatorNOT

GladiatorNOT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Old Man BP51 coilovers Dakar HD leaf springs Icon Delta control arms TRD Pro rims with Kenda Klever RT 33x10.5 tires Exhaust mod TRD front skid, RCI tranny and transfer case skids Southern Style Slimline front bumper Baja Designs S8 bumper light Warn Zeon Platinum 10s winch 4.88 Nitro gears ARB front locking differential ARB twin air compressor X2 Power 27 battery RCI rear bumper with Rigid SRQ lights RCI rock sliders RLD canopy Dometic CFX3 55 refrigerator TRD Pro grill Front & Rear anytime camera Seat Jackers Diode Dynamics Pro fogs
    I owned a RLD for almost two years after replacing a Alu-Cab Explorer canopy. The RLD was definitely built better and you can also get them color matched to your rig from the factory which I think definitely looks better than having a black canopy on a truck that isn’t black.

If I get another Tacoma I would definitely choose a RLD over an Alu-Cab.

Tull2020[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jan 17, 2022 at 11:38 AM
    FlatbedTaco

FlatbedTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Offroad 6 Speed MT
    Cooper 37's Black Rhino Bead Lock's Twin locked Kings Mits Alloy

I have been running the Alu-Cab now for a while and I'm very happy with it, we have installed a couple of the RSI ones and they are for sure heavier (306 SB taco) and a pain to assemble where the Alu-Cab (125LB) comes assembled since its a fully welded toper

have not had any experience with the RLD in person

I've put this Alu-Cab though the ringer and it defiantly holds up well

IMG_5022.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    soysauce021 likes this.
  10. Jan 17, 2022 at 11:56 AM
    tacoman45

tacoman45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR DCSB - MGM
    I'm going to go against popular opinion here and suggest you just return your RTT, get a simple shell and pick up a nice 3.5 season ground tent. Lol I know this is "heresy against doctrine" for the Instalanders here on TW but I'm going to give you the unpopular opinion for the sake of perspective.

Not sure how much you've actually used an RTT in real life but I'm of the opinion that they're not worth the hassle unless you're literally driving across Africa or Australia. The biggest issue for my buddies who have them being you can't drive your vehicle once you're set up (IE - an emergency) or it can be a PITA finding a level spot for your vehicle. Here's another dude's opinion on them after years of ownership.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCVavqvwYvw

So, again, just get a simple ARE or Leer shell. Having a place to keep your stuff dry is nice and a simple shell is quite a bit easier to remove than x-bars & an RTT if you ever decide use your truck bed for truck shit. $0.02 of opinion.

Road Bull, DingleTower and sicofit like this.
  11. Jan 17, 2022 at 12:06 PM
    GladiatorNOT

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Old Man BP51 coilovers Dakar HD leaf springs Icon Delta control arms TRD Pro rims with Kenda Klever RT 33x10.5 tires Exhaust mod TRD front skid, RCI tranny and transfer case skids Southern Style Slimline front bumper Baja Designs S8 bumper light Warn Zeon Platinum 10s winch 4.88 Nitro gears ARB front locking differential ARB twin air compressor X2 Power 27 battery RCI rear bumper with Rigid SRQ lights RCI rock sliders RLD canopy Dometic CFX3 55 refrigerator TRD Pro grill Front & Rear anytime camera Seat Jackers Diode Dynamics Pro fogs
    I think you meant to say a RSI which is definitely inferior to a RLD. They are heavier and do have some other drawbacks also. The RLD is fully welded like the Alu-Cab but is made of stainless steel instead of aluminum.

12. Jan 17, 2022 at 12:07 PM
    FlatbedTaco

FlatbedTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Offroad 6 Speed MT
    Cooper 37's Black Rhino Bead Lock's Twin locked Kings Mits Alloy
    you are correct good catch

GladiatorNOT[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jan 17, 2022 at 12:21 PM
    GladiatorNOT

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    So, again, just get a simple ARE or Leer shell. Having a place to keep your stuff dry is nice and a simple shell is quite a bit easier to remove than x-bars & an RTT if you ever decide use your truck bed for truck shit. $0.02 of opinion.[/QUOTE]

A fiberglass canopy is definitely inferior to any aluminum or stainless steel canopy. They quit using fiberglass for car parts many years ago and in only the states will you see canopies made with fiberglass. They are brittle and much heavier than a comparable aluminum or steel canopy. Also much easier to remove a metal canopy as they don't flex and bend like a fiberglass canopy can so you can grab it anywhere and pull it off the truck without worrying about damaging it. Would never own a fiberglass canopy again and anyone who is an advocate for one obviously hasn't owned a aluminum or stainless steel canopy as you really can't compare the two. Yeah, fiberglass tops can look good but that's about all they go going for them. But do agree that roof top tents are highly overrated. Have owned 3 different one's in the past seven years and have enjoyed them all but tent camping is fine as well. The only advantage that I really like with the RTT's is when overlanding you can just stop just about anywhere day or night and be in you sleeping bag sleeping in a matter of minutes. Rain or shine it doesn't matter. That is actually why we got our first RTT. Was on a trip in Moab and there was a downpour and had to wait for the rain to stop before we could set up camp. Then the ground was a mess so it took us forever to get a ground tent set up properly where we could actually get in it and go to sleep. Was in Moab last fall and was in the same situation but had our RTT on our canopy. Just undid two latches and was in our tent and out of the rain in seconds. That is where I think the biggest advantage of a RTT comes into play. But yeah, ground tenting can work in most cases.

Products Discussed in

To Top