1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CDL Class

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by Robert Smith, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Feb 20, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    Robert Smith

Robert Smith [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Layed off from local Cooper Tire plant due to plant closure and jobs moved to China and Mexico. 19 years of loyal service. Will start CDL class at local tech school in one week. Like to hear from anyone who has recently finished a similiar course. Thanks,

2. Feb 20, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    The_Dude

The_Dude Well-Known Member

Member:
    Don't have any info for ya, but things are gonna keep getting worse if we keep off-shoring.

Sorry about the layoff man.

3. Feb 20, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    What state are you in?

I got my CDL in June 2007. I work for UPS and my manager rushed me through the course so I could attend a UPS driver trainer school to become a UPS driver trainer. I had to go to the company doctor and get a physical to get my DOT medical card. They just check hearing, vision, blood pressure and a urine drug test.

I studied and memorized the California handbook in about 2 days. I took the 5 written tests and passed 4 of them. I think I failed the Air Brake test, I went back the next day and passed it, and they gave me my learners permit.

In California I was required to take:

General driving safety test (required for everyone, class A drivers)
    Air Brake test
    Combination Vehicle Test
    Doubles & Triples Test
    Pre-Trip Inspection Test

I spent the next 5 days driving with a co-worker practicing the pre-trip inspection. At UPS the driver trainers are certified by the DMV to test applicants on the road coarse, skills test and pre-trip inspection test. So a fellow supervisor practiced with me then tested me. Once I had passed he filled out the test forms and I took them to the DMV and they gave me my CDL. After that was complete my real work was ahead of me when I had to attend the UPS boot camp!

I am sure its different for someone going through a tech school.

BTW, how much does a tech school cost? I am sure they charge you for the class, the DOT physical, and the actual road test (if you do it with them). I feel so fortunate to have had the company pay for everything for me.

4. Feb 20, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    Robert Smith

Member:
    I live in Georgia and the course is paid by the HOPE schlorship( state lottery program) all I pay for is the $130 fuel fee. Already completed the learners permit test,CDL physical, drug test and 7 year MVR report. Thanks,

5. Feb 20, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    SoutheastTaco

SoutheastTaco Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    columbia sc
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport dc 4x4
    rear spring tsb, 255/75/17 bfg muds
    do you already have a job lined up? I'm a LTL freight driver and there are not very many cdl jobs right now. The economy sucks. It's been really really slow for us...

6. Feb 20, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    Robert Smith

Member:
    the school supposedly has a 85% job fill rate?

7. Feb 20, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    SoutheastTaco

SoutheastTaco Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    columbia sc
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport dc 4x4
    rear spring tsb, 255/75/17 bfg muds
    you might have to run otr for a year or so.. it's really not that bad.

8. Feb 20, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    Be wary of that. I took a cdl course, spent $2,000 on it and was told they help you find a job.. they didn't. They handed me a book of employers who had contacted them in the past 5 years looking for "experienced" drivers.
    And i had to look through it. And it asn't "on on one" training as they had promised. I had to share my time with 2-3 other people.

Ask around about the course/school first. there might be other schools around.

9. Feb 20, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    I got lucky there.
    Found a guy who was just getting a llc company off the ground specializing in seafood transport. Hired me with no experience, and taught me alot. Was hard work, but i got my experience, And no otr, or overnights.

10. Feb 20, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    vicstacoma

vicstacoma Guest

I got my CDL almost 2 years ago and it gets a little stressful because you have
    to learn so much stuff and take quite a few tests... The pre-trip inspection is not
    that bad you just have to have a good memory or have some knowledge on the names
    of parts in the vehicle and how they function... The only thing you don't wanna mess
    up while doing your pre-trip is on your break tests...(Here in california) they are very very strict about that and will fail you right away.
    Since you're at it you might want to get all the endorsements...
    that's what i did,,, got my doubles, triples, hazardous materials, tanks.
    How much are you payingfor the course:???
    when i did the course it was a 6 week course and about 4 thousand dollars, but
    I learned how to drive the truck and nailed down the pre-trip right away
    and got my license in 2 weeks so they gave me a discount and i ended up paying
    3 thousand dollars which the company I work for(FEDEX) later re-embursed me and then
    sent me to their own program to Tennesse which was awesome.

11. Feb 20, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    vicstacoma

vicstacoma Guest

oh that's nice that the ups trainers are certified by the dmv and can test you guys!!! That's always a plus... Fedex doesn't have that we have to go to the DMV.:mad:

12. Feb 20, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    Haze

Haze not just a one trick pony

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    none yet..
    to be determined
    i did this last year, most well respected schools can get you a job. it's going to be otr though. and i stuck it out and waited with a job lined up on my own before hand. got lucky and am a local driver. cdl is another certification to add to your resume. it's a fall back option and a great way to get your foot in the door and find out if you like the company or not. you'll be fine if you understand the general movement of the truck and trailer. best of luck to you. manufacturing downfall is what led me to the course as well

To Top