1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CEL after TB Spacer

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by mylittletacoma, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 15, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    mylittletacoma

mylittletacoma [OP] taco? like the kind you eat?

Member:
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    00 Silver SR5 4X4 SC
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th injector kit, Gibson Exhaust, Deckplate Mod, Tough Country 5" lift kit, Fabtech coilovers, Daystar 1" bodylift, 35" Kumho Road Venture MT's mounted on Eagle Alloy 185's black 15x8 -12offset, Alpine 9883 deck, Alpine type R speakers all around, Alpine 500w amp to 10"Boston G1 in custom built rear center console enclosure
    ok, so i recently installed the airaid/ Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer in order to try to help out on the highway with my big ass mudd tires.

everything went in fine, but after driving it for about 20 minutes i threw a check engine. it came up as 171 (bank running lean) and a misfire.

i erased the codes, checked all the hoses and connections and everything was fine.

drove around and after about 20 again it threw a check engine of 171, bank too lean

now that was in the city.... i had to drive about 250 miles so i erased the code and jumped on the highway...... nothing,,,, until i got into the city again and when i got to a stop sign it threw it again!!!!

called air aid.... they said take it off and if it stops then return it to where i bought it. wow,,,, great customer support..

has anyone had a similar problem??

I have this on a 2000 V6 w/ full k&n intake and Gibson exhaust

i waas almost concidering replacing the plugs, but they are only a year old. like 20k

2. Jun 15, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Remove the spacer. It does nothing more than wistle.

3. Jun 15, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    x2 i learned the hard way

4. Jun 20, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    mylittletacoma

Member:
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    00 Silver SR5 4X4 SC
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th injector kit, Gibson Exhaust, Deckplate Mod, Tough Country 5" lift kit, Fabtech coilovers, Daystar 1" bodylift, 35" Kumho Road Venture MT's mounted on Eagle Alloy 185's black 15x8 -12offset, Alpine 9883 deck, Alpine type R speakers all around, Alpine 500w amp to 10"Boston G1 in custom built rear center console enclosure
    ok, ok, i know everyone says they are crap, but i figured it out. called poweraid again, got a new tech who said take the gaskets out and double check them. he said he has even had master mechanics call and have the same issues.... so i did,,,,, it was the gasket on the manifold side was turned backwards... lol.... felt like a jack ass..... but the tech said that for some reason that is a seriously common thing to happen.... makes you kinda wonder..

anyways, initial response is stil the same,,,, though it does feel like it accelerates a bit smoother than before...... it wasnt even me that realized it,,, it was my girlfirend who didnt even know i put it in... then the highway gas test,, a road trip to lubbock from portales. i know my gas mileage on this road cause i do it almost twice a month. usually get there and back on just under 3/4 of a tankleft. this time....... just above 3/4 tank left. so,,, initial is positive... next test will be this coming weekend with my typical run from albuquerque to las cruces.

5. Jun 20, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    mylittletacoma

Member:
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    00 Silver SR5 4X4 SC
    hey chris..... what do you think about throwing a greddy td05 mounted just off the ypipe? heres what i know i need... can you think of anything else?:
    adjustable rising rate fpr,
    walbro 255 fuel pump
    bov
    piping
    oil feed coming off the oil filter plate
    oil dump going to the valve cover... passenger side
    scavenge pump

6. Jun 20, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,

Sounds alot like the STS turbo set up. Issues I have with that are:
    *You will loose boost psi due to the length of the intake track
    *One thing snags that oil line, and your gonna screw your engine
    *One crack in the intake down there, and your going to be sucking all sorts of shit into the engine.

7. Jun 22, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    mylittletacoma

Member:
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    00 Silver SR5 4X4 SC
    yeah, i am basing it off their design, with a few differences. I am placing the turbo off the header y-pipe to the upper passenger side of the tranny, that way it is for the most part out of harms way. the oil lines i am also routing in a way that they will be as far away from any open areas as possible to keep them safe as well. the psi drop i believe will be little since i am routing the piping only about 4 feet total and with only a few bends, not too concerned about psi drop though, the intake pipe will be made of aluminum as well and should be safe also. my main concern comes with fuel tuning.

i am installing a rising rate FPR and walbro 255 fuel pump, which should create sufficient amount of fuel to the injectors. but my concern is how accurate or reliable are the rising rate fpr? have you had experience with them? i have installed and tuned them before on import turbo cars, but never saw the long term reliability.

8. Jun 22, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    The OEM fuel injectors are not going to be up to the task of delivering enough fuel unless you run low boost. And then, you wouldnt need an different fuel pump. Just run a boost line to the OEM FPR.

9. Jun 23, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    mylittletacoma

Member:
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    00 Silver SR5 4X4 SC
    the stock boos out put on the greddy i am going to use is lik 8-10 psi. i figure a td05 will spool insanely fast on our v6.

so i should be ok with the oem injectors then, which is what i was worrying about. cool cool, guess i will keep you posted on the progress.

10. Jun 23, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Your gonna need either larger injectors, or a 7th injector kit with that much boost.

11. Jun 23, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    haha this went from a tb spacer into a turbo. good luck

12. Jul 1, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    mylittletacoma

Member:
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    00 Silver SR5 4X4 SC
    lol, yeah i know, i kinda get side tracked alot.

anyways::::

THE RESULTS ARE IN!!!!!!!!!

now, i am not saying this item will work in any way for everyones vehicles, but this is what happened on mine.
    keep in mind my mods::
    3"lift,
    35" Kumho MUD TIRES
    K&N full intake
    Gibson exhaust
    and the Poweraid tb spacer

I also have a ARE shell on it as well.

so i took my trip from portales to ABQ, nasty head wind, so i didnt really pay attention to the gas. but the trip to Las Cruces i did, the way back too,
    as well as the way from Albuquerque to Portales.

typically i would take over 3/4 of a tank from ABQ to Portales or to Las Cruces, they are about the same distance and about the same amount of hills

this time i ended up with just above 3/4 tank left. not substantial at first, but then the trip from lc to abq.... a small gain as well...
    then the trip back to shit ville portales...... WOW substantial gain
    usually just under 1/4 left, this time i had a good amount above 1/4 left.

bst of all my odometer is looking better too. now with the tires miscalcing the odometer, i normally read about 225 to the tank. for the past 3 tanks i have had almost 275!!!!!! also, even though there is no great power increase, it does seem that once you get into the 3500 rpm range it feels like the vvti system lol, it actually kicks a bit more with romping on the gas.

so, as far as i am seeing, it has helped a small amount, wheter its worth the 110 i paid... cant really say, but it does sound pretty cool lol

13. Jul 1, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    mylittletacoma

Member:
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    00 Silver SR5 4X4 SC
    oh, keason1, not trying to start shit or anything, but coming from a Marine to an Airforce person, YOU SHOULD STAND BEHIND OUR GOVERNMENT WHETER YOU LIKE THEM OR NOT. and give the guy a chance..... the issues we are seeing in our government right now arent from his term... they are from Bush... it takes 2-3 years before the impact of an action the President AND THE REST OF OUR GOVERNMENT does for it to actually resound through our lives.

ONE MAN CAN NOT MAKE AN IMPACT ON A COUNTRY, DONT FORGET TO BLAME CONGRESS, THE SENATE AND THE SUPREME COURT AT THE SAME TIME. thats why we created the checks and balances, so that our government could not cause an action with out the other branches having a chance to approve or deny it.

in 3 years if our country is fucked up worse,,,, then i say talk shit. but for now, try to look past the media and research what he does and what congress and the senate and the courts do. :)

14. Jul 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    And with the thread now going twards politics, its closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top