1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cel/vibrations/loose steering

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Blumpkinson, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Jun 24, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson [OP] Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    My truck is about to hit 90 k miles and it's starting to show some age.

I've had a check engine light go on and off for the past year and haven't been able to fix it. The code was first for front 02 sensor then rear 02 sensor. I replaced both of them and cleaned the throttlebody and MAF sensor. Now the light stays off when i'm driving at low speeds for any distance. When i'm on the highway the light comes on with a p0240 code, then goes away the next morning when i start the truck up. I'm assuming my cat's are dead, but i'm hoping it's something cheaper. Any ideas?

I also have a pretty good vibration at highway speed. My tires were balanced a few thousand miles ago, i also checked the tie rods by trying to move the front tires side to side while on jackstands, with the steering wheel locked. There was very little movement in any direction. I can move the driveshaft by the carrier bearing, but not much. Could my steering rack by f'ed up?

The steering wheel has a good bit of movement when the truck isn't moving. I tried grabbing the linkage under the dash and rotated the steering wheel. There was a small amount of play but not much. I read that you can weld the linkage b/c a safety devise is wearing out. Anyone done this?

I do take the truck offroad, however it's been a while cause money is tight.

As for maintenance i'm going to be replacing my timing belt/accessory belts/water pump soon. Is there anything else i should be replacing?

2. Jun 24, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    tacoma04

tacoma04 Laissez les bons temps rouler

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Northern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB SR5 4X4
    I'll try to help with the loose steering. Since you checked the tie rods, I would think about checking the steering rack bushings. Mine were shot and it made quite a difference. The darn truck would wonder all over the road before I change them.

With the front end jacked up, have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you lay underneath and watch the steering rack. Look at the bolts where the rack mounts and see if the rack moves side to side. If it does, bushing are bad.

Energy suspension has a good kit for the rack bushings, shown here

HTH :)

3. Jun 25, 2011 at 7:40 AM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson [OP] Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    I've looked into them, but i remember reading that they supposedly don't really fix loose steering. Apparently there just a maintenance item, but if they helped you and there under 20 bucks i might as well. Couldn't hurt.

Any other ideas?

To Top