1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cell phone reimbursement from department

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by denali climber, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denali climber

denali climber [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So my good friend got a job with LA County Sheriffs about 5 years ago. He worked in the jails for awhile but now he is out on patrol. They told him that he would need to have a cell phone for his duties and that he could either buy one or use his existing one.

At first they told him that they would reimburse him for any usage for work related stuff. Well now a year later he says they have only paid him like 10% of the amount that he has used for work stuff.

He said they are always asking him to make calls and text and that it adds up.

Is this unique to this department ?

2. Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Unlimited talk & text plans are cheap if you don't include a data plan.
    Tell him to get one, stop whining, and enjoy his 3% pension.

3. Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    I would say he needs to talk to his dept. about how to submit for that reimbursement. And then he needs to track all those costs...they can be tax deductible if he doesn't get paid back.

Most places I've worked either give a phone if you are expected to take/make many work phone calls or limit the amount of work you do over your phone.

4. bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    floyd, VA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner TRD
    throttle body extension, K&N dropin, custom rear sway bar, bilsteins, 2010 Tacoma 17" alloys w/265's, driveshaft mods, bullbar, .75" Bora hubcentric spacers
    cell phones are pretty much the norm for all urban police departments now, it would seem to me that they would be department issued...

if not, then, yes, something is amiss with the expense reports being submitted with documentation...

5. LennyTheLip

LennyTheLip Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Branch, NJ.
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DCSB
    Tint and tonneau for now
    One other thing, if its used for work, and they aren't reimbursing him, I believe he can claim the bill on his taxes as a deduction. I do here in NJ.

6. Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    ProComp 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Dynomax catback, Weathertech liners,Toyota bed mat, Silverstar Ultra's, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's,bedlights and other small stuff.
    This.

We get ours issued from the dept due to the fact that they often get subpoenaed. We just got issued I phone 5's- sounds cool, but we actually use them for work a lot; photo evidence, voice recordings, group texts for specialty units, pill recognition programs, calls, etc.

Most L.E.O's pays out of pocket for some of their gear; tools, med equipment, better gear, rifles, better boots, you name it. I don't want to think how much my stuff adds up to.

7. Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Have him get the cheapest cell phone available that will do what is needed, then have it billed seperately from his personal account.......save the bills and if it it not reimbursed from the Dept, claim it on his taxes.......oh, and when it is subpoened for court, he will be glad all of his personal stuff is not on it.

8. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner
    Both my wife and I were (are) required to be accessible 24/7. We just deduct 50% of the monthly bill as a business expense since the phone is a job requirement.

Ray

9. k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    only our supervisors get phones. i use mine all the time with nothing from the dept. don't really care tho, gotta have the freakin thing anyway. I just got all the unlimited crap with my wifes phone. they give us like 15-20%discount for Law Enforcement, so that helps..no biggie though like i said gotta have a dam phone these days anyhow. But hey on the brighter side of things they do give me a free 2013 tahoe!!!!

10. choppersx

choppersx ZoMbiE aLeRt

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1968 Ford Mustang
    Lifted Bilstein shocks 5100's Front set 1.75, Rear set 1.5 ICON 3 Leaf Progressive add on / Lights-Retrofit with Halos & interior Dome / Tinted windows/AFE PRo Dry Air Filter / Go Rhino Bars / Flowmaster Exhaust 50 series
    I dont know why he's whining about he has bigger issues in the streets to take care.

11. Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears

::not sure if serious::
    Because it's a job that comes with compensation....If he isn't getting what he is owed - That is worth his time to fix?

12. webdr

webdr Member

Member:
    my department pays $75 of my $95 dollar cell bill monthly...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
To Top