1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Central Bucks Tacoma Owners...

Discussion in 'North East' started by PennSilverTaco, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Feb 16, 2017 at 9:52 PM
    PennSilverTaco

PennSilverTaco [OP] I have Ass Burgers...

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    See signature!
    This is something that really gets on my nerves, and my boss's boyfriend has had similar experiences...

First of all, has anybody in the Central Bucks area (Doylestown, Warrington, Buckingham, Furlong, etc) ever fueled up at the Shell station at the corner of Route 611/Easton Road and Edison-Furlong Road? Specifically, the gas station is located at 1807 South Easton Road in Doylestown, Pennsylvania (zip code 18901).
    I've been going there for years. Here's my problem...

I consider this gas station a sellout...

For the last 1 to 2 years, almost every time I drive past this place I see people set up at a table out front selling some detailing stuff called FW1. I was pressured into buying it in either 2015 or 2016 after some guy came up and just started demonstrating it on my Tacoma without my permission.

On numerous occasions, I've pulled into this gas station to get gas on my way to work, seen these guys forcibly demonstrating their product on customers' vehicles, and left because I just wasn't in the mood to deal with them.

Most recently, some guys were demonstrating some glass cleaners on a woman's Honda Fit at the pump next to me. I made eye contact with this guy while I was filling up my Tacoma, and I just gave him a "Don't even THINK about touching my truck" look. I was so desperate to not make contact with this guy that as soon as my tank was full, I jumped in my truck, started the engine, and floored it so hard I squealed the tires.

Another time at the Sunoco station across from Thompson BMW, I was topping off the Corolla I got as a complimentary loaner while my Tacoma was getting an oil change at Thompson Toyota right down the street. My Tacoma was ready, and I had to bring the loaner back with a full tank of gas. These FW1 guys were there too, and one approached me. I told him that it was a rental, I'd tried the product on my own truck, and I didn't have time.

But seriously, these guys are an epidemic... I've gone out of my way to avoid two conveniently located gas stations because they just will not take no for an answer. I can be nice once or twice, but I am smart enough to know that I will blow my stack with these guys if pushed too hard and it is easier to just find another place to get gas...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  2. Feb 16, 2017 at 10:12 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    See signature!
    Having Asperger's means I am very OCD about how my truck is cared for. A perfect example is that I almost always use Windex to clean the windows and I rarely if EVER use the complimentary wipers at gas stations. Exceptions would be when I stop during a long trip, like when I drove my Tacoma to the Carlisle Truck Nationals and back last August. 4 hour round trip, refueling was inevitable...

Anyway, this is the same Shell station on 611 in Doylestown Township I now avoid like the plague because they seem to have entered an agreement with the FW1 salespeople.

One day in about fall 2016, I stopped at this Shell station to fuel up on my way to work like I've been doing for years... This is a self-serve station, by the way...

I was just leaning against my truck waiting for the gas to pump when this black guy wearing a Shell jacket walks up. He startled me, and he said "I'm just gonna clean your windows." This translated to "I want your money." I just let him go about his business, but then he looked down through the windshield while cleaning it and saw my Nikon D5300 sitting on the front seat. He then started saying what a nice camera it was and asking about it. People ask me about my camera and my truck all the time, but something about this guy did not seem right. Nothing happened, but as soon as my tank was full, I got in my truck and got the hell out of there.

More recently this past January, I was at the same Shell station. This was the same day when I peeled out after fueling up to avoid dealing with a selling some glass cleaner. First of all, I was barely awake. It was like 9 in the morning, freezing cold outside, and I was driving to work. This is NOT an Asperger's thing. It's a human thing. When I stop at a gas station that early in the morning when it's that cold, all I care about is getting gas, getting back in my nice warm truck, and going on my way. This overweight guy with a beard NOT wearing a Shell uniform shows up and starts attempting to converse with me while wiping my windshield. He asked either how I was doing or what I was doing, and I told him "I just woke up thirty minutes ago and I'm driving to work" in a tone so obvious that he knew immediately to just wash my windows and leave me alone. Of course I didn't pay him.

Has anybody else been to this Shell station and had this problem?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    ChadsPride likes this.
  3. Feb 17, 2017 at 1:40 AM
    replica9000

replica9000 ./$0|./$0&

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R OR Premium
  4. Feb 17, 2017 at 5:01 AM
    20tacoma17

20tacoma17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport AT
    Lifted on 275/70/17
    I don't let the gas stations do my windows. They don't realize it when the are reaching and leaning against your vehicle with buttons, zippers or keys scratching your fenders. Sure they are usually light scratches most of the time but they add up over time. It's not their vehicle so most of them don't care. I will say there are some out there who will really take care of it as if it was their own but I'm not taking that chance. I'll just do it myself

PennSilverTaco [OP] and ChemDawg like this.
  5. Feb 17, 2017 at 5:44 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
  6. Feb 17, 2017 at 5:53 AM
    NM Lance

NM Lance Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why not just tell them, "Please don't wash my windows" and end the conversation there? People from Pennsylvania aren't particularly chatty/talkative people, so I am sure they would understand. Or, even just tell them to kindly fuck off?

7. Feb 17, 2017 at 5:57 AM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    See signature!
    Both times the guy literally just came out of nowhere. They "blindside" you. This Shell station is the only place where this happens. I told my dad and he said he wouldn't be surprised if A) The owner/clerk at the gas station is unaware that random people are trying to get money out of customers, or B) These are down on their luck people the owner knows, and is doing them a favor by letting them just start washing windows without asking. I avoid that station now unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.

8. Feb 17, 2017 at 5:59 AM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    See signature!
    I feel the same way about meter maids. It's 2017 for Christ's Sake! We have technology! They license license plate readers! If I'm parked illegally give a me a ticket, but photograph the damn license plate and mail it to me. Don't lean over my front fender to slip a ticket under the wiper!

9. Feb 17, 2017 at 6:22 AM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
  10. Feb 17, 2017 at 9:39 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    See signature!
    Also, I keep my dashcam running while I'm filling up. If this happens again, I'll post the video to show you that these guys just come out of nowhere...

r3c0il likes this.
  11. Apr 13, 2017 at 2:14 PM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck
    Super Springs
    i wish I had time to come visit Down there I love meeting people like that.

If I get down that way i will look to stop at that station.

Telemarketers hang up on me and put me on their do not call list

MY50cal and PennSilverTaco [OP] like this.
  12. Apr 14, 2017 at 8:57 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    See signature!
    April 14th, 2017

They were at the Shell station today! I had plenty of gas since I filled up on the 12th, but I drove through just so I could get a few still shots with my dashcam...

That's them in the pink:
    20170414_2084_IMG.jpg

The black Dodge Caravan had New York plates, and I'm guessing that if the owner (seen filling up the van) is anything like the stereotypical New Yorker, he probably told them to fuck off (or just gave them a look of blistering homicidal fury) at some point before I got there:
    20170414_2085_IMG.jpg

Look how many vehicles are at the station in the first two photos (the white F150 and a couple other vehicles left in the time it took me to circle around the whole station), and the two pink-shirted wax-mongers are just standing there. I'm hoping someone finally complained to the station owner, or regular customers have become wise to their tactics and remain vigilant so the guys can't just sneak up on them:
    20170414_2088_IMG.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    r3c0il likes this.
  13. Apr 15, 2017 at 2:52 AM
    Wyoming09

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck
    Super Springs
    I wonder is that a company owned station ??

Company stations just have managers .

If it is company owned a few hundred letters should solve the problem if business falls off .

14. Apr 15, 2017 at 3:13 AM
    johneman

johneman Life is good!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4X4 2.7L 5 speed SR5
    Weston tube steps, EXtang Black Max tonneau cover, Wet Okole's, Front WeatherTek mats
    I ran into them (FW1) at a couple of stations and just told the one guy I wasn't interested. Although the station in Delaware had a couple of damn good looking young girls trying to sell the stuff. When one approached me I told her I would buy some if she had dinner with me(I know typical dirty old man), and guess what, she walked away. Sometimes if you catch them off guard before they start they back off. Usually my Tacoma is so dirty I could just tell them "Does it look like I give a shit how it looks" :)

PennSilverTaco [OP] likes this.
  15. Apr 15, 2017 at 9:34 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    See signature!
    April 15th, 2017:

They were here again, two days in a row! It's almost always different guys though, and this in my opinion is where most of the problem lies. If it were the same guys, they know me and my truck and know to steer clear. However, because they seem to change the guys on a day-to-day basis, this is exactly how I feel...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dashcam stills from Saturday (April 15th, 2017):
    20170415_2133_IMG.jpg
    20170415_2134_IMG.jpg
    20170415_2136_IMG.jpg
    20170415_2137_IMG.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    r3c0il likes this.
  16. Apr 16, 2017 at 1:23 PM
    Cazzwell

Cazzwell The Circuit Rider Signman

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky DCSB TRD Sport
    Stock.

Looks like you could use one of these stickers.

17. Apr 16, 2017 at 3:10 PM
    Wyoming09

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck
    Super Springs
    I gotta say if I saw that sign I would be rolling on the ground laughing

Or jack your truck up and leave it on blocks while you watched

Depending on what kind of day I had

I Really need to take a ride down there .

18. Apr 16, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    See signature!
    By all means take a ride down here, but you'd better be kidding about touching my Tacoma...

19. Apr 20, 2017 at 3:11 AM
    Gr8fl

Gr8fl Some rise, some fall, some climb.

Member:
    First Name:
    JK
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    17 Cement Pro, 14 Heritage Blue FJ
    Honestly, I live in that area, don't use that station - ever - but have never seen these FW1 folks in Dtown. I did run into them in Conshohocken last year when I was at REI and when the dude approached me I said no thanks. He pressed, I asked him if I stuttered and he walked away. Maybe I'm just lucky?

PennSilverTaco [OP] likes this.
  20. Jul 29, 2017 at 10:22 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    See signature!
    Saturday, July 29th, 2017:

That Shell station, Easton Road/Route 611, Doylestown, PA

The FW1 people disappeared for about 3 months, but now they seem to be back, and they are much better at "blending in" too!

I was well below half a tank, so I stopped at the Shell station on my way to work on Saturday morning to get some gas. The FW1 guy was just wearing regular clothes and I did not notice him at first, nor did I notice the stand set up in front of the convenience store.

As I pulled in, I noticed this older "plainclothes" guy (didn't know he was selling FW1 at first) approaching a woman who was putting gas in her Chevy Trailblazer. Initially I thought he was one of those damned window washers again. The woman told this guy she wasn't interested and he walked away. As I drove around to the pump I normally used, I saw that two landscapers were filling up their pickup trucks and my usual pump had an "OUT OF ORDER" sign on it.

As I circled around the gas station, I saw a gray Prius parked next to the vacuums, and two people were standing next to it talking. Looking back on it, I think there were three FW1 people and they all carpooled in the Prius.

I ended up pulling up to the pump right next to the woman with the Trailblazer, and with a smile on my face I said "my usual pump is out of order." She smiled, and then I asked her what that guy was talking to her about.

She told me he'd been trying to sell something, but she turned him down because she was in a rush and needed to get to work. Before I can even swipe my credit card, I notice the guy approaching my truck out of the corner of my eye. Keep in mind that I just spent two hours washing and detailing my truck a few days earlier, and it was still quite clean and shiny...

I looked over my shoulder and said "I just spent two hours detailing my truck earlier this week." Either he didn't hear me or he just blew me off.

He walks around the front of my truck and starts with the usual "How are you doing today, sir?" bullshit...

I repeat myself, saying that I just detailed my truck a few days earlier...

He didn't get the message and asks "What do you use? Meguiar's?" Remembering that I had in fact used Meguiar's the other day, I said "Yes," and then rather coldly said "I'm not interested."

He said okay, thanked me, and told me to have a good day. Whatever...

I then finally get the chance to actually look at the gas pump I'm using, and there's a sign on it that says "CASH ONLY."

:annoyed:

I look at the woman with the Trailblazer and tell her the pump is only taking cash. She's like "Are you kidding me?" I just shake my head and she tells me that she leaving and to just use the one she's at, before telling me to have a good day and driving off...

I get in the truck, make a U-turn, and pull up to the pump "Ms. Trailblazer" had been using, and while the gas was pumping, I got the opportunity to snap this with my trusty dashcam...

20170729_0434_IMG.jpg

The above photo shows the FW1 guy who first approached the woman with the Trailblazer, and then me, chatting with the owner of that white Mazda6 to the left. The FW1 guy is wearing the grayish shirt, and the older man who owns the white Mazda6 is just out of sight behind pillar wearing a teal green shirt. This handicapped man (note placard hanging from rearview mirror) just wanted to put some gas in his car, and barely even got out of his car before getting bombarded by the salesman. The Mazda owner said no thank you as well...

The photo below shows the FW1 guy (circled in red) waiting for another unsuspecting victim, in this case the owner of that gray car who has gone inside to pay for his gas:
    20170729_0435_IMG.jpg

At least he didn't come out of nowhere and start demonstrating the product on anyone's vehicle without their permission...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    r3c0il likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top