1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Central fla hire help/advice.

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by danjones, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Nov 27, 2011 at 6:00 AM
    danjones

danjones [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    11 taco
    looking to become a cop in florida anywhere near tampa. im wondering if anyone has any advice or knows of openings for former military. i get out next year.

2. Nov 30, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    have you tried Orlando P.D.? Start now it could take up to a year to get hired. Anywhere in Central Florida is a great place to get hired. Orlando, Orange County S.O., Seminole county S.O., Winter garden P.D. Brevard county S.O., Winter Park, Osceola. These are the agencies I am familiar with. Typically, the P.D.'s pay more than the S.O. Just depends where you want to work. Tampa P.D. is great they have a great retirement. I like the Orlando area better.

3. Dec 5, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    York County, PA
    Vehicle:
    Money Pit
    Don't take this the wrong way- cuz I'm not trying to be a dick- and I'm happy to help ya out, but have you done ANY research?

Google the major PDs in the areas you'd like to work, that'd be a start. That said, for the Tampa area, HCSO, St. Pete, and Tampa PD are almost always hiring. Tamps requires you to be certified though.

St. Pete is probably the 'easiest' to get on with (though easy is a mis-nomer), as they have a high turnover rate.

As I said, do a quick search, you'll find the answer to your questions

4. Dec 6, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    That's because south St Pete is an exceptionally brutal enviroment for a police officer.

I'd look at the Sherriff's Offices in Polk, Manatee and Sarasota counties. They hire quite a few candidates right out of the Academy. They may also offer an opportunity to be in uniform serving civil warrants as you work on your patrol certification.

5. Dec 10, 2011 at 4:15 AM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    ProComp 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Dynomax catback, Weathertech liners,Toyota bed mat, Silverstar Ultra's, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's,bedlights and other small stuff.
    Well Sarasota has a hiring list 20+ people long, many of them certified. Manatee is pretty full aswell. It seems that when the economy took a dump, everybody wanted to be a cop.

Good luck, and begin the application process now.

6. Dec 10, 2011 at 4:29 AM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    Don't know any about about Florida and LE there...but, I see you guys talk about being "certified" not all cops are certified through an academy over there? Can someone just be a cop and not be certified? I'm just wondering...

7. Dec 10, 2011 at 5:41 AM
    k9cop

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    NO. You must go through the academy and take the FDLE State certification test. It is a massive 4 hour test that you must get an 80 or above on to become "certified." You must go through the academy to sit for the exam. If you were a LEO somewhere else you can take a crossover academy (much shorter, couple of weeks) and sit for the exam. Other than that you are just a security guard.

8. Dec 10, 2011 at 5:49 AM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    ok, yeah thats what I thought....I just imagined a regular person walking into a dept and asking for a badge and receiving it for some reason...heh..

9. Dec 10, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    k9cop

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    lol

10. Dec 14, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO. I'm from Tampa. I
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, Class 3 Hitch.
    If you are not yet a FL resident, it will be hard as hell to get hired as LEO, unless you are transferring from another department.

Some like HCSO will pay for your academy, but with all the budget cuts I think Orlando PD/Orange County S.O. and Miami-Dade are the only departments hiring righ now...

11. Dec 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    York County, PA
    Vehicle:
    Money Pit

Miami Dade has had a hiring freeze going strong since 2008. They are NOT hiring.

The few positions they filled were from those who the hired in 08, then un-hired due to the freeze.

Do not fill out an app for Miami Dade- waste of time and paper

12. Dec 14, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    k9cop

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    Orlando P.D. is hiring mostly pre-certified,or experienced Officers first. They are taking newbies on occasion. It is bets just to go to the academy on your own then try to get hired. Budget cuts are right. Plus they have had sponsored people drop out relatively quickly. With a G.I. bill I am somewhat sure it will cover your academy costs. The process is long in accordance with what everyone here has said. Military background will help!

13. Dec 16, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO. I'm from Tampa. I
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, Class 3 Hitch.
    Not surprised to hear...

Yes it does, but at least for HCSO, being a former MP does not give you extra points.

+1 on what others said about St. Pete. P.D. Tough environment, tougher city politics and high turnover. I've heard from more than one SPPD member about "getting written up" withing your first year, so as to make you look not good enough for a transfer to another Dept.

Unless you have some major political connections, don't even bother with TPD!

To Top