1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ceramic vs stainless vs titanium headers

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by makikid808, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Oct 18, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    malander

malander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    I would imagine too much or too little heat could alter exhaust scavenging and intake temps might be a little cooler if the headers are cooler. Idk if you could put real numbers to that though

2. Oct 18, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    makikid808

makikid808 [OP] They call me unko

Member:
    First Name:
    Kamaki
    Kula,Maui
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma sr5 4x4 5VZ-FE 3.4 manual
    fabtech 6" lift, all-pro 5" rear lift springs, 17x9 ATX slot, 295/70/17 nitto trail grapplers, Borla catback exhaust system, K&N FIPK, bully nerf bars, wet okole seat covers, tints (factory tint plus 5 on back 35 on front), sounds(kenwood deck, kenwood IE speakers all around,kenwood 720W amp for mids, kenwood 1000W amp pushing orion 12" sub), LED dome map and door lights
    So with the modern ceramic headers there is no need for the wrap. Doesn't matter if it's ceramic stainless or titanium is what you are saying. I'm jus asking

3. Oct 18, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    no need for wrap...

4. Oct 18, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    Its a pisser that Downey went of of business. :(

5. Oct 18, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:

Yes that is correct, but only if they are ceramic or jet-hot coated. Stainless steel and titanium would benefit from wrap because they are "bare" metal with no heat insulating coating.

6. Oct 19, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    hayabusa3303

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    I agree.

I have a downey K&n kit to replace the airbox.

7. Oct 19, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    makikid808

Member:
    First Name:
    Kamaki
    Kula,Maui
    Vehicle:
    fabtech 6" lift, all-pro 5" rear lift springs, 17x9 ATX slot, 295/70/17 nitto trail grapplers, Borla catback exhaust system, K&N FIPK, bully nerf bars, wet okole seat covers, tints (factory tint plus 5 on back 35 on front), sounds(kenwood deck, kenwood IE speakers all around,kenwood 720W amp for mids, kenwood 1000W amp pushing orion 12" sub), LED dome map and door lights
    Where can you get these. I got a 3.4 with a K&N intake and a borla catback exhaust. What else can I do.

8. Oct 19, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    hayabusa3303

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    Borla you can get from like autoanything.com plus i think they have free shipping.

K&n..One i got you will never find the adapter again only downey made it. Only one i have even seen made like that. I will get a pic for you tomorrow mine will be coming out of the shop. The k&n filter i still can replace if i need too.

If i where you i would do the mod they have up here for the box and just buy a filter(k&n) to replace the paper filter you have now.

9. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    makikid808

Member:
    First Name:
    Kamaki
    Kula,Maui
    Vehicle:
    Yea I already got those in already. The borla and the K&N. They sound really nice with each other. Not to loud but you can really hear the borla sound. I was looking into headers that's why I started this thread.

10. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    hayabusa3303

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    i have the jba on mine and jba cat back. but the cat is missing some where.

Jba headers are nice but a pain the the ASS to get right because of the drivers side. Do ALOT of preplan work before you start. Think two steps ahead on them because its TIGHT real tight. I have the titanium ones.

Reason i went with the titanium ones was do to a s/c down the road for mine.

11. Oct 19, 2011 at 8:04 PM
    makikid808

Member:
    First Name:
    Kamaki
    Kula,Maui
    Vehicle:
    ohhh do is that the point of having titanium for the s/c

12. Oct 19, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    hayabusa3303

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    Alot of people not just tacoma owners but other makes i have seen many guys running titanium headers.

titanium cools down alot faster,and its lighter over the others. My headers where 1/2 the weight of my jba cat back system.

13. Oct 20, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    makikid808

Member:
    First Name:
    Kamaki
    Kula,Maui
    Vehicle:
    I'm guessing the 2nd half of the weight came from ur wallet....All in all it was about the same weight haha

14. Oct 20, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    hayabusa3303

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    Headers weighted 22 pounds cat back weight 36 pounds any thing else? HA HA not the same weight.

from JBA

409 Stainless steel headers are rated "Mild to Severe-Duty". 409 stainless steel is highly durable and comes uncoated.

Silver ceramic coated headers are rated "Mild to Severe-Duty". Silver ceramic coating gives superior thermal protection and corrosion resistance. Reduces underhood temperature and has a bright, long lasting shine.

Titanium ceramic coated headers are rated "Extreme-Duty". Titanium ceramic coating gives the best thermal protection and corrosion resistance. Reduces underhood temperature and has a "titanium" grey color.

there is your answer haha you pay what you get in headers.

15. Oct 20, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    As exhaust gases cool, they slow down. You want to keep exhaust gas velocity (speed) as high as possible until it exits the pipe(s). Yes, this affects exhaust scavanging at low rpm's and ultimate exhaust exit at high rpm's. So keeping the heat in the exhaust gas and not radiating out is a good thing,,, but how much affect does it really have......

16. Oct 20, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    makikid808

Member:
    First Name:
    Kamaki
    Kula,Maui
    Vehicle:
    Some people were saying that they went with the titanium so they could go with a s/c later. Do you need the titanium for the s/c

17. Oct 20, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    hayabusa3303

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    You dont HAVE to run anything if you dont want. The exhaust PYRO is going up when you add the s/c to the engine. More air, 93 oct. fuel = hotter exhaust gasses. Can you run the stock headers on a s/c YES but you will not see a real big hp gain do to the inside of the iron made headers ( they are not smooth its rough like sand paper. With the sand paper like in the headers you are making small vortices slowing down the exhaust. aftermarket headers reason for the smooth of the headers no vortices = more flow. )

Simple physics

Tit can hold up too 1600 f plus
    cem. can hold up too 1500 f plus

Reason im running tit is for that extra bit of temp difference that just in case difference.

Cost is the same either tit or cem.

18. Oct 22, 2011 at 7:53 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:

This is essentially the principle header wrap or exhaust wrap for that matter works off of. Scavenging. Before modern day coatings like Jet-Hot or ceramic headers were made, regular iron or aluminum headers and exhaust were wrapped. Now people are combing the two, ceramic/titanium/jet-hot AND wrapped. Of course this is mostly in high performance Turbo-charged or SC applications, not for a daily driver 190HP V6 truck.

19. Oct 23, 2011 at 9:07 AM
    Bobber Bill

Bobber Bill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Daily Driver
    You don't need any sort of wrap, plating or ceramic/jet/thermal coating on your headers unless they're made of mild steel. To do so on a set of Stainless or Titanium headers (especially stock headers) is usually a total waste of money and plain GAY

You will be more than happy with a set of Stainless Steel tubular headers. Titanium is complete overkill on the Tacoma.

The only difference you will ever see between exhaust header materials on the Tacoma is in your wallet. PERIOD.

20. Oct 23, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    makikid808

Member:
    First Name:
    Kamaki
    Kula,Maui
    Vehicle:
    Did you straight pipe it...

Products Discussed in

To Top