1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ceramic vs stainless vs titanium headers

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by makikid808, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Oct 23, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    you pay for quality though. An LCE header is $480...an pacesetter is like $250. Big difference in quality.

2. Oct 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    Keeps the heat in the headers, so it'll travel faster throughout the exhaust.

It doesn't "absorb" or "leak" out and linger...it just a straight shot out.

Header wrap is good for anything when the header is near your cooling system...more heat = less cold air flowing through and boiling antifreeze isn't condensing as fast which in return causes higher IT's.

Everyone knows higher IT's on a motor gives a slight slight loss of performance.

every notice how your truck or car runs better on cold nights?(around like 50-55 degrees outside).

3. Oct 23, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    UndefinedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    For $480 you can buy just an exhaust flange and have a shop make you a custom setup.

Headers are a waste of money lol..bolt on's are so 2001.

Forced induction is where it's at these days. :rolleyes:

4. Oct 23, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    makikid808

makikid808 [OP] They call me unko

Member:
    First Name:
    Kamaki
    Kula,Maui
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma sr5 4x4 5VZ-FE 3.4 manual
    fabtech 6" lift, all-pro 5" rear lift springs, 17x9 ATX slot, 295/70/17 nitto trail grapplers, Borla catback exhaust system, K&N FIPK, bully nerf bars, wet okole seat covers, tints (factory tint plus 5 on back 35 on front), sounds(kenwood deck, kenwood IE speakers all around,kenwood 720W amp for mids, kenwood 1000W amp pushing orion 12" sub), LED dome map and door lights
    I'm looking into the DT headers... But one of the shops that I was talking to quoted me $920 for em(this includes shipping to HI since we live so close to the mainland). I asked him if it's just the headers or is it a full CAT4ward system and he tell me idk. I asked him if it's ceramic or stainless again he says idk. I told him idk if I comming back jeez

5. Oct 23, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    UndefinedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    :burnrubber:

6. Oct 23, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    :p

I got my header because my stock manifold was cracked (in several places). So I just bought a header. I agree that on a four banger a header won't get you much.

7. Oct 23, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    UndefinedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    Stock header with free flowing exhaust will get you more.
    Not really on these newer motors though...but say a 22R Yota..or a L18 Datsun..then yes..exhaust and some tweaking of carb...will yield bigger power gains then exhaust on these new motors.

Hell a 34/36 will make a 22r a rocketship...dual sidedrafts will make it a really fast rocketship.

but in your case, a header is justifiable.

8. Oct 23, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    a free flowing exhaust on a new 4cyl will make you lose bottom end.

9. Oct 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    UndefinedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    backpressure is such a myth, to some extent you need some..but only a tad.

a free flowing exhaust on a 4cyl will run better but you'll lose power all the way around because those motors were built tight and never designed to be upgraded..so they use piping to specs of what the motor was always meant to be ran at.

but yeah your right..but to an extent branden

10. Oct 23, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    Dmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    i'm completely right and you are just catching up ;p

11. Oct 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    you definitely lose a lot of power w/ a free flowing exhaust. when I put on my headers I drove around the block w/ open headers just for shits and giggles and it was slow as FAWK...

12. Oct 23, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    UndefinedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    your never right douchemonkey.
    go back to the zoo.

did you soa the heep yet?
    NOPE!
    LOSER.

:rolleyes:

13. Oct 23, 2011 at 6:18 PM
    Dmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    it's being used to prototype doors and bumpers homo ;p

14. Oct 23, 2011 at 6:19 PM
    UndefinedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    ya right!!!!!

BULLSHIET!!!!!!

15. Oct 23, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    It has a straight pipe but with a flanges so i can unbolt it and put a cat on if i need too. Also running a URD Rear sensor simulator with no CEL. Thanks gadget.

16. Oct 23, 2011 at 9:42 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    They are all stainless, ceramic and titanium are the coatings to contain the heat like a heat shield does. I think it is implied that the titanium coating is the best. You could just get regular stainless and get header wrap.

17. Oct 24, 2011 at 9:37 AM
    Bobber Bill

Bobber Bill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Daily Driver
    :facepalm: I give up...

18. Oct 24, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    makikid808

Member:
    First Name:
    Kamaki
    Kula,Maui
    Vehicle:
    fabtech 6" lift, all-pro 5" rear lift springs, 17x9 ATX slot, 295/70/17 nitto trail grapplers, Borla catback exhaust system, K&N FIPK, bully nerf bars, wet okole seat covers, tints (factory tint plus 5 on back 35 on front), sounds(kenwood deck, kenwood IE speakers all around,kenwood 720W amp for mids, kenwood 1000W amp pushing orion 12" sub), LED dome map and door lights
    hahahahaha no comment:duel:

19. Oct 24, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    Bobber Bill

Bobber Bill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Daily Driver
    I'm sure you read what I wrote, that's a good starting point.

I kinda know what I'm talking about. I've been a metal fabricator for a few years. So I was making headers, exhausts, tube frames etc... until I closed down and moved about a week ago. I'm not new to this and I didn't just google everything 5 minutes ago

20. Oct 24, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    makikid808

Member:
    First Name:
    Kamaki
    Kula,Maui
    Vehicle:
    Ok so with ur experiance if I was to. Go with the stainless compared to the ceramic whats the differences that I would be looking at. Also doesn't the stainless get hotter making the whole front hot and making my intake take in hotter air

Products Discussed in

To Top