1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Certified Used but been wrecked

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sharkness, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Sep 17, 2009 at 11:47 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    +1 pass.

However, I doubt it was actually in a wreck looking at that list and being non salvaged. It probably had extensive hail damage like another member's here and had the panels replaced. That's my vote on what happened but there's no way to be sure.

2. Sep 18, 2009 at 4:13 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I don't know what the laws are, but I would tend to believe....they can't sell it unless they advertise it as a salvage title.

Here in PA - it's a major PITA to convert a salvage title into a re-constructed title and register it to legally drive it on the road.

3. Sep 18, 2009 at 5:40 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    As a former auto body man, I would say pass on that truck. Lots of sheetmetal damage
    considering what they want it would be better to find a truck that doesn't have that kind of damage.
    It appears it was hit in the back/side and pushed into something else, perhaps another car, trees, a telephone pole , hydrant , who knows. Let this truck slide away.

Jeff , 06,V6, SR5 6spd

4. Sep 18, 2009 at 5:48 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Toyota certified used means nothing but overpriced & underchecked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Sep 18, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    Not even close.

I rolled my 07. Literally every piece of sheet metal would have been replaced. Thus, totaled.

Now, I just got rear ended in my wife's car last friday :)mad:) the car had 36,000 miles, garage kept, driven nicely, it was her baby. Now it's going on the record as having 1 accident with the entire back end replaced. A dodge ram nailed a jeep liberty, which hit me, while we were stopped at a traffic light. I drove the car home. Dodge Ram's insurance is covering it and it went to reputable body shop. No way in hell I would drop the price if I sold it. After being repaired its mechanically and structurally sound.

With insurance picking up the tab it's very likely that any piece of sheet metal that was scraped, dented, or funny looking got replaced. If the frame had to be straightened or body work had been done on the cab that would be different. You could rack up a bigger repair bill on a hard off road trail and still drive the truck home after and another 100k miles after that.

Sounds like that truck just reared ended someone at less than 20mph. Try to get details on the accident, you should be able to find a police report with the vehicle's VIN. You should be able to get an extended warranty from the salesman if you push it hard enough. Get the vehicle inspected by your own mechanic (same as any used vehicle purchase). Don't rule it out just because it got crunched. Use it as leverage. Don't think you're going to get a huge price reduction either. Try to get little extras and they'll add up. By the time you're done getting a free extended warranty w/ services, new floor mats, and a few other wizz bang gizmos and gadgets the dealership will start to think they should have just knocked $4000 off the sticker price.

6. Sep 18, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    rob1

rob1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    Indigo Blue DblCab 4X4 Long Bed TRD Sport SR5
    Tail gate mod, locking gas cap, locking spare tire, rear spring tsb,Weathertech Digital fit's

Dude, Glad to hear you passed on the other tacoma.
    I bought my Tacoma without seeing it or driving it!! I did however have my brother in-law inspect it for me since he lived in Dallas ( me- deep south)
    I recommend maybe someone from TW to check it out for you. Know anyone in the vicinity. How about it guys anyone close to the truck he is intrested in??

7. Sep 18, 2009 at 7:23 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    My .02 I'd pass... how many guys on here have been in a wreck and when it's not totaled will trade it in on something else? Or say it has this wrong or that wrong now, when it never did before.

8. Sep 19, 2009 at 4:44 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Luni has some good points however, the truck in question may have had some frame damage and while a good body shop can replace every panel, who knows if they are aftermarket panels or original Taco panels or parts? Insurance companys often go the aftermarket route.
    Luni's wife's car is being repaired under his watchful eye, that sure is different than buying a truck that has been bounced from Texas to California, or so it seems.
    You would actually have to go to the insurance co., and get the damage estimate and see the police report.
    A lot of work for a damaged truck, glad to hear you will pass on it. Better to start out ahead of the game instead of behind the eight ball.
    Jeff, 06, V6, SR5, 6spd

9. Sep 19, 2009 at 6:22 AM
    foxracinfor20

foxracinfor20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    doug
    easton md
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner lifted
    sway away 2.5 coilovers sway away race runner rear shocks pioneer avic d3 2 7 in monitors in headrest dvd memphis 10" sub memphis amp trd intake urd catback with magnaflow procomp wheels 33/12.50/17 angel eye projector halo headlights altezza tailights with led bulbs big blue balls hanging total chaos ucas cover king neoprene seat covers 7 led projector foglight
    toyota certified can only have no more than 2 body panels painted and no body parts replaced not including bumpers or lights

10. Sep 19, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    find something else.

11. Sep 19, 2009 at 7:58 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    alot of people buy vehicles based on mileage and thats not the way to buy a good used vehicle. I remember when i bought a used qx4 a few years ago w/ 45k miles on it. There was an identical one next to it with 32k miles for a little more. I looked underneath and saw the skid plate was missing. I took the chance on the higher mileage one and it was about the most solid vehicle i have ever owned. Gave me 50k miles w/ only one burnt out 02 sensor. I have a feeling if i got the other i would have been in for alot more than that.

12. Sep 19, 2009 at 8:02 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
  13. Sep 19, 2009 at 8:37 AM
    AZFizik

AZFizik Slowpokeologist

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OffRoad Prerunner
    TRD Catback & CAI, Fogs only, Recovered Armrests, BFG AT's
    Thats a pretty high price for one thats been in a wreck.

I picked up my 07 DC TRD Off Road, with 19k on the clock for 21......

14. Sep 20, 2009 at 7:40 AM
    10silvertaco

10silvertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Vehicle:
    no longer own Tacoma, now own 2011 Outback
    Hey there! I think it not worth to buy that truck. I agree with everyone on TW forum. I notice you say Salt Lake City, last June and July I was in Salt Lake Dealership and don't like their price on certified or used truck. Way too much money for nothing so I ended up new one at Riverdale.

Products Discussed in

To Top