1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Operation Crash Bandicoot 4x4 Swapped 05' Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by ChamYota, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Dec 28, 2017 at 5:43 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota [OP] Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    Didnt realize it's been almost 12 months since i last posted in here.. lol

In any event i figure this is a good time as any to post an update

I've acquired every single piece needed to FINALLY convert my prerunner to a hybrid :turtleride:

• 4x4 Transmission w/twin sticks (@SGTCap/@aspurlock it will go to good use my friend)
    • 4x4 Hubs (shoutout to @BamaToy1997 for the hookup and killer price)
    • CV Axels off a 2015 with 11k miles
    • Transfer case off an FJ with 17k miles(@dianasaurusrex001 for the Christmas present :p )
    • Transmission crossmember (@EddyRRT looking at you for that modification tho :p )
    • One piece rear driveshaft (shoutout to @Sandman614 for the quick text :laugh:)
    • LCA Skids for shits and giggles
    • Front driveshaft off a 2014 taco
    • ADD Harness (@ahspurlock once again coming in clutch)

Thanks to all my friends who've helped me find and acquire all these parts along the way. Im hoping during the month of January we can all get together and throw this on so we can wheel some more :woot:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  2. Dec 28, 2017 at 5:45 PM
    SGTCap

SGTCap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6-spd,
    37s, 4x4 6-spd, OME 886s, Allpro Expos, SOS sliders and front/rear bumpers,Rack,Skids, 4.56s, Lockers,Recon Winch, TJM RTT, Lots of tools, boxes and gear. Shaggy mutt behind the seat
    Glad to hear it

@ahspurlock , you still got my ADD harness...? :rofl:

3. Dec 28, 2017 at 5:45 PM
    NorthwestCruiser

NorthwestCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Snohomish, WA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Land Cruiser
    Custom 3 link, 40's etc..
    Nice!
    Out of curiosity why a 1 piece rear driveline?

4. Dec 28, 2017 at 5:45 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    :spy: maybe :laugh:

ahspurlock likes this.
  5. Dec 28, 2017 at 5:47 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    I couldn't find a decently priced driveshaft that wasn't high mileage and when i was getting ready to buy one new, a deal popped up in the forum i couldn't turn down. Just gotta drive to Raleigh at some point to pick it up :laugh: @Sandman614

6. Dec 29, 2017 at 4:05 AM
    ahspurlock

ahspurlock The TW Mechanic Everyone Calls Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    summerville.south Carolina
    Vehicle:
    08 T4R V8 Limited beast
    yep it's in the back set of my taco

7. Apr 9, 2018 at 2:15 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    4x4 swap is finally complete!
    After saving for years and gathering pieces bit by bit it's done.

So the day started early around 8:30 in the morning on March 24th.

I had the gracious @EddyRRT at SOS Concepts let me use his shop for the install, @ahspurlock with tools(and myself) and @JimboAnz as a helper, this is def NOT a 1-2 person job if you want to get this swap done in about in 13 hours like we did.

Naturally i didn't take a terrible amount of pictures as i was working on it as well but i'll fill in pictures as i find them afterwards so basically this is what i got.

Jacked the truck up on stands and we first tackled removing the old hubs and bearing assembly while @ahspurlock started removing the driveshaft and transmission

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hubs and bearing are for the most part easy to remove, just make sure you've got a nice hammer/mallet on hand to break the bolts loose, once you loosen all of them it just pulls right out.

Reinstalling the new hubs/bearing is the easy part, 4 bolts tight and everything's golden

[​IMG]

From that point we moved on to the transmission side. Removing the Transmission from the bellhousing will required what looked like a 3 foot extension and an impact tool. If memory serves me half were 17 mm(the ones on the top half) and 14 mm were for the bottom half of the transmission. It sucked, mostly all would break but there were 3 or so that were stubborn as hell.Transmission Jack was a must.

[​IMG]

@ahspurlock cheesing for the camera
    [​IMG]

Finally lowering it down
    [​IMG]

How we felt about my old transmission
    [​IMG]

At this point in the game we were basically on auto pilot, not too many pics were taken but i'll narrate it best i can. The front diff bolted right up no issues. We got the CV's installed and put the front tires back on. While i was at the shop eddy sold me a skid for a deal i couldnt say no to since i banged up my OEM skids at Windrock last year

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was at the installation of the transfer case did we really hit a roadblock, the twin sticks i opted for when we cut the hole for them ran into my shifter assembly, not knowing where any electrical stuff was in the box, we shaved as much off the shifter plastic until we called it quicks. Luckily @EddyRRT had some pneumatic metal bendy things that he used to re-angle my twin sticks so i'd clear the A/T shifter. I knew i'd have to trim the plastic when i got home so we made it work. Without that i think we'd be up Shit's Creek with no paddle.
    [​IMG]

After about 11 hours everything was mechanically back together, The only thing left at this point was to wire the ADD harness from the Front diff to the Switch i drilled out for it in my dash, @ahspurlock had 2 on hand but all i did at this point was plug it into the Front diff, and wire it around the engine into the Firewall. I set the power and ground up and left the switch disconnect until the next morning.

The drive back home sucked lol. Having a hole from the transmission tunnel going directly into the cab was loud but the speaker mod fixed that real quick.

After some quick checking after trying to reinstall my trim pieces i took an angle grinder and cut "rough" cuts so everything fit and the sound went down tremendously. I suppose i'll have to get a boot and plate for the twin sticks to completely kill the sound out but for the last 3 weeks its been bearable.

[​IMG]

CV Angles looking pretty good along with my new SOS Concept IFS Skid
    [​IMG]

Final thing was the ADD Switch. here are the photos from that, basically ran the wires through the hole, and there is a certain pin that each color wire corolated to. I dont know the pins off hand but if anyone needed it, i can go look again. it's purpose is to tell the diff to Open/Close so i can engage the 4wd, it's a 3 way switch and it was the last piece stopping us from doing this sooner than we did along with other conflicts. It has a on-neutral-Off switch. I hold the On or off for 2 seconds to respectively open/close the diff. I plugged it in and everything checked out good. I went near my house to a hill i could never climb and i eased right up it. Hopefully going to Gulches in the next two weeks to really see what the trucks capable of.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall the journey for the truck mechanically is about over, i dont plan on running 35's/regearing/front locker. For what ive always wanted to do having power to the front wheels really held me back but ive learned to wheel 2wd locked up to this point. All thats really left is clean up the electrical rat nest to my battery and run dual batteries and i think i'll be pretty content with the girl for now. Got a turbo charged is300 that has recently taken priority and it's come at a good time i think for me.

For any advice or help for anyone out there who has a 2wd and wants to go 4wd, I'd be more than welcome to help. It's been a long road but im glad to have had good friends and good deals come at the right time.

8. Apr 9, 2018 at 2:34 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    D070BABD-D089-4299-89A5-B7ABF7DBE891.jpg

9. Apr 9, 2018 at 2:35 PM
    JimboAnz

JimboAnz #OldNorm

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimbo
    Charlotte (Cornelius) NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F'in Ranger
    Great write up Cam. Was glad i could be there to help out and learn a lot more about our trucks.

ChamYota[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  10. Apr 9, 2018 at 5:57 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate you helping me man! we learned alot that weekend!

11. Apr 9, 2018 at 10:52 PM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    Awesome man!

ChamYota[OP] likes this.
  12. Apr 10, 2018 at 5:35 AM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:

Just woke up and realized i forgot the welding master @EddyRRT played in the exhaust reroute.. when you add the FJ cruiser transfer case you have to modify the exhaust pipe from the drivers side cat slightly so it bends around the case, otherwise it aint gonna work. I think that about wraps it up though!

13. Apr 10, 2018 at 6:25 AM
    ahspurlock

ahspurlock The TW Mechanic Everyone Calls Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    summerville.south Carolina
    Vehicle:
    08 T4R V8 Limited beast
  14. Apr 10, 2018 at 4:37 PM
    05Taco4x4

05Taco4x4 ToyotaHubs

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2TR-FE Enthusiast
    FJ Tcase, Manual Hubs, 2017 Head unit, Mirror Riser
    Any chance you went with the Lokka, like ahspurlock has?

ahspurlock likes this.
  15. Apr 10, 2018 at 5:20 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    I did not. I will use my current setup as it for now and see how often i get stuck doing the wheeling i normally do. I got a feeling i wont need a locker though.

But deals have convinced me more than once to change directions :laugh:

ahspurlock likes this.
  16. Apr 26, 2019 at 8:55 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    Happy Bday!!! :cheers:

ChamYota[OP] and G.T. like this.
  17. Apr 26, 2019 at 4:17 PM
    TheGoat

TheGoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    White 07 SR5 4x4 6spd
    OME 885 springs on 90000 shocks, sway bar removed 1.5" AAL on 285/75/16s
    Hell yeah cam!! Congrats, been a long time coming!

18. May 1, 2019 at 12:15 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    :cheers: THanks :D

Yeah man, i couldnt wait to be almost done building this thing haha

ChadsPride[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. May 2, 2019 at 12:51 PM
    TheGoat

TheGoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    White 07 SR5 4x4 6spd
    OME 885 springs on 90000 shocks, sway bar removed 1.5" AAL on 285/75/16s
    When is the next trip to gulchez?

ChadsPride likes this.
  20. May 15, 2020 at 5:30 AM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    Mannn it's been a hot minute since updating this thing. Gotta add some new pics and stuff but bascially in the last year:

I grenaded the ring gear/pinions wheeling in Windrock lol thanks to @SGTCap and others for unfucking that situation lol.
    FWD my black ass 4 hours back home and drove the tundra(which i now sold lol) until i got the funds to regear.
    Regeared to 4.56s about 2 months ago thanks to EGGS and went to @Sandman614 's house to finally dual battery my truck lol.

Other than that, swapped out the soft shell RTT to a Hardshell Design and that's been about it. I feel pretty good about where the truck stands and im looking for a 100 Series LC/LX470 for a daily.

Pics to follow.

Tlook, YDCtaco, YotaOverAll and 5 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top