1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Change the front bushings in your Dakars

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by GHOST SHIP, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Mar 5, 2017 at 2:51 PM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP [OP] hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    I went through the trouble of doing this simple upgrade this past weekend, and just wanted to share the info. A quick shakedown afterward tells me I should've done this a year and a half ago before I installed the leaf pack, but I didn't think it was necessary. It would've been a lot easier with the leafs off the truck, but it's not entirely difficult to do the swap while the leafs are still installed by the rear shackle.

Here's the issue:
    The front rubber bushing that comes installed in the Dakar leaf pack is "pressed" in place. I put that in quotes because it really isn't difficult to remove the bushing and that tells me the bushing isn't held in place with too much force and results in it having some give and can walk out of alignment with the front spring eye. Everyone knows that Dakar are squeaky fucks, but for a while now I found that most of my squeaks were coming from the front spring eye. A quick inspection showed me what the problem was: the bushing had walked out of place and the steel spring was rotating and rubbing on the front spring hanger. The front hanger has about a 1/2" of room total after the leaf pack is in place so the eye can move slightly from side to side even after torquing everything down. Here you can see how far out the bushing had moved out of place:

IMG_8547.jpg

The result of the rubbing and source of the squeak:

IMG_8553.jpg

You can see that the paint had rubbed through where the steel spring eye was rubbing against the spring hanger. As a reminder of how loose the bushing was, a couple of whacks with a ball-peen hammer knocked it out of the eye. It seriously didn't take too much force. The spring eye after removal was clean and showed no signs of rust or wear:

IMG_8552.jpg

The overspray in the background was some PB blaster that I used before even attempting to take the bushing out. Don't really know if I needed it or not, but I suspect it would've come out just as easily without. Here's the bushing after removal:

IMG_8550.jpg

It still looks good and has plenty of life in it, but will not be reused in the springs. Surface rust was minor and expected.

Comparison of old vs. new:

IMG_8556.jpg

The new bushing is a Wheeler's off-road polyurethane bushing. The same one I installed in the rear spring eye when I first installed my leafs. Comes with the small packet of Prothane grease for install and I recommend using all of it on the bushing and the contact faces. Here's the new bushing in their new home and all lubed up:

IMG_8554.jpg

A little more grease was applied to the contact face of the bushing after this picture was taken as well as inside the spring hanger. As you can see, the small shoulder on the bushing that sits outside the spring eye will prevent the spring from making any metal-to-metal contact in the future and help the leaf spring seat better in the hanger, taking up more of the useable space inside.

For some reason, the driver's side bushing didn't want to come out as easily as the passenger side. Whacking and spraying with PB blaster did nothing to move it even though it had also walked out just like the passenger's side.

Me: I need a puller and I don't have one.

Also me: Make one.

15-evil-kermit.w1200.h630.jpg

Used some scraps I had laying around and welded a couple bolts together and used a small length of pipe to pull the stubborn sumbitch out.

IMG_8560.jpg

IMG_8559.jpg

I'm posting this because the truck rides a lot smoother now and the squeaks are all gone hopefully to never return. In hindsight, I say again that I should have done this before I installed the leaf pack in the first place, but it wasn't that hard to do on the truck. Total time spent was maybe 1.5 hours using a hi-lift and a floor jack and hand tools (including time spent cursing and taking pictures, but not counting trying to figure out and making the puller).

If you plan on installing Dakars in the future, take the time to replace the front bushing. If you have them already and have an annoying squeak, check the front bushing before you start getting used to it.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. Mar 5, 2017 at 2:59 PM
    Truck Yeah

Truck Yeah OK, maybe just 1 more...

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Silver TRD Sport Access Cab
    Toytec Boss 3" Lift, Dakar Leaf Pack, Light Racing UCAs, ECGS Bushing, 265/70R17 Duratracs, 17 x 9 Fuel Mavericks, Truxedo Low Pro QT, AntennaX 14" Billet, Weathertech Front Mats, Pop and Lock PL5400, OEM Chrome Exhaust Tip, OME Carrier Bearing Drop, OEM Bed Mat, NFab Textured Black Step Bars, OEM Mini Tie Down with Hooks, Tinted Front Windows, Stainless Steel Braided Rear Brake Lines, mattgecko Sliding Window Security Bar, OEM Black Badges, Depo Black Tail Lights, Winco Console Caddy, Turn Key Clamp Anti Theft Tailgate Mod, Devil Horns by Andres Diaz, Kenwood DDX672BH Receiver, Memphis Audio 6x9 Component Speakers in the Front Doors, Memphis Audio 6.5" 2 Way Speakers in the Access Cab Doors, Bazooka 6.5" Bass Tube, Kenwood Excelon XR900 5 Channel Amp, Custom Access Door Speaker Covers, Rokblokz Oversized Mud Flaps, Philips EcoVantage 750 Lumens GY6.35 Reverse Bulbs, ImMrYo Mirror Relocation Bracket, UltraGauge MX, SmittyBilt D Ring Shackle Hitch Receiver, BP Fabrications Front Recovery Bracket with D Ring Shackle Receiver, YotaMafia US Flag Decals, DirtyD510 Custom Weathertech TRD Decals, Plano Storage Full of Recovery Gear, Bed Storage Compartment D Rings, TRD Shift Knob, TRD Oil Cap TRD Radiator Cap, Amp Research Bed Extender, OEM Skid Plate, Rigid SR30 Lightbar in the Lower Valence with Rigid Mounts and a Mictuning Dash Switch, ACEkraut License Plate Relocation Bracket for the OEM Skid Plate, BumperPlugs, Rear Diff Breather Relocation Mod with Uni Breather, Redline Tuning Quicklift Hood Struts, Apex Fog Light Mounts with Cali Raised 18W Amber Pods, nd4spdbh Fog Light Anytime Mod, Wheelers Front Superbump Stops, Uni Breather Smog Air Pump Mod, tsumara Cup Holder, Bullaculla Trailer Plug Relocation Bracket, Salex Glove Box Organizer, Grid-It Center Console Lid Organizer
    Nice write up and good to keep in mind for the future. My Dakars so far have been fairly squeak free over the last 2 years or so. Knock on wood. Thanks for sharing

GHOST SHIP[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 5, 2017 at 3:02 PM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great write up Ghost Ship! :thumbsup:
    Thanks.

lynyrd3 and GHOST SHIP[OP] like this.
  4. Mar 5, 2017 at 3:16 PM
    gmann1972

gmann1972 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma SR5 DCSB
    I am installing Dakars in a few weeks, they are on order and I am awaiting there arrival...I ordered them from Headstrong and they suggested I do a complete bushing install kit before installing the new leafs. I did agree with them, but didn't really understand why, At the time I just figured I didn't want to replace the bushings later down the road, do it once and forget it. After reading your right up I'm glad I decided to order the complete bushing kit. Now I understand...Thanks for the right up...great job...

GHOST SHIP[OP] and Sna like this.
  5. Mar 5, 2017 at 3:17 PM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sna likes this.
  6. Mar 5, 2017 at 4:46 PM
    REDdawn6

REDdawn6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Redlands CA.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    I wonder if there are other ways to remove it stuck bushing? I have a set waiting for install.. I would like to do this as well...

7. Mar 5, 2017 at 6:12 PM
    Sna

Sna Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 trd sport 6MT dcsb, mostly stock?
    I ordered the complete kit from Headstrong and am going to do this when mine get installed. I know lots have used the rubber bushing but the PU ones are just that much better and I only like doing things once.

Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup:

8. Mar 5, 2017 at 7:38 PM
    GHOST SHIP

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    If you already have them, lay them on their side with some plywood underneath the main pack, but leave the bushing eye unsupported. A few well placed blows with a hammer will show you how easy they come out. Once you get it out enough, I found that some large channel locks could grab the bushing sleeve and the rest just wiggles right out. If that doesn't work, I'm not opposed to shipping my homemade puller out as long as it gets forwarded to those that need it. It's basically scrap now that I'm done with the job anyway.

9. Mar 5, 2017 at 7:48 PM
    REDdawn6

Member:
    Redlands CA.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Thanks man.. That doesn't sound to hard, play by play appreciated!

10. Mar 5, 2017 at 7:50 PM
    GHOST SHIP

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    No problem. You don't need a heavy duty press with these since they aren't in there super tight. You can pretty much go ape to get them out.

11. Mar 5, 2017 at 7:52 PM
    Subway4X4

Subway4X4 Shameless Copy Cat

Member:
    First Name:
    Lloyd
    NY/NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Speedway Blue DCSB OR TRD
    Everything TW members recommend
    Thanks.
    I'll do this in a couple weeks.

12. Mar 5, 2017 at 8:07 PM
    GHOST SHIP

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    I should also add that the second part of this project was to remove the rear shackle and grease the bushing faces on the spring and shackle. The stock bushing in the shackle doesn't have a risk of walking because it is captured with internal sleeves and has a shoulder that sits outside the shackle mount. This means two things: 1. It's in there pretty good. 2. It's a bitch to get out if you wanted to switch that one to a PU bushing as well. I don't see an immediate need to swap the shackle bushing out, but since it is rubber it is still considered a wearable item and maybe down the line time can be taken to replace it with PU if necessary. A cheaper solution than buying a new complete shackle.

A recent conversation with @Crom turned up some interesting information that the bolts for the rear spring eyes and shackles could be overtorqued causing binding at these points. I suggested he back the nut off his shackle bolts to see if that helped regained some down travel in his suspension and it worked. I ignored my own advice until now and that's why I also greased and retorqued the rear (lower LBS with blue loctite). Three days of driving later and I can already feel a difference in the rear of the truck. Completely changed the manners on and off road.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Toyojo, Pportera, RacecarGuy and 3 others like this.
  13. Mar 6, 2017 at 8:45 AM
    GHOST SHIP

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
  14. Mar 6, 2017 at 8:56 AM
    RacecarGuy

RacecarGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB OR
    Pelfreybilt front and rear HC bumper w/swingout, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Diff skid, Pelfreybilt IFS and Trans skid, RCI gas tank skid, Bronze SCS F-5's, Icon RR's ext travel, Dakar leafs, Archive Garage shackle flip
    You wouldn't happen to know the torque value for these bolts off hand by chance? Figure I may need to undo mine and retorque to make sure they're correct.

REDdawn6 likes this.
  15. Mar 6, 2017 at 9:05 AM
    GHOST SHIP

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    The Toyota manual states 120lbs. Found here:
    FSM_Torque_Specs_-_Leaf_Spring_Diagram_4wd_Pre-Runner_[1].jpg

TBH, I rarely pull out my torque wrench unless I'm working on engine internals. A quick way to check if you have this issue would be to jack the truck up (ideally from frame or sliders) and get the wheels off the ground. Look at the rear shackle and see if it is rotated all the way forward. If it isn't, your bushing is binding. Just back the nut off a 1/2 turn and you should see the shackle move as soon as it is loose. I pulled the nut completely and used blue Loctite on mine for added peace of mind- tightened the nut by hand and then backed if off a 1/4 turn so I'm definitely not at 120 anymore. No telling where I was before this weekend. Using the blue Loctite, I don't feel like I need to go by Toyota's recommended torque spec. The goal was to get rid of the binding.

DrFunker, ME OFF Rd and heffer like this.
  16. Mar 6, 2017 at 9:30 AM
    REDdawn6

Member:
    Redlands CA.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    So , for my install. I watched a video... Dude got the front and the leaf on the rear end lined up hand tight, with the rear shackle hand tight . Then he tightened the front rear and ubolts. He put truck on ground to let the leaf and shackle line itself up? then tightened. Is this not a good way for install? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31ORzqSCKHQ&t=5s
    I liked this way of install because he let the truck align the rear shackle with leafpack , after the front and ubolts were tight.

DrFunker and Toynado like this.
  17. Mar 6, 2017 at 9:37 AM
    GHOST SHIP

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    If you're talking a straight install, then yes, that's the way to do it. The leaf pack locates the rear axle via center pin and u-bolts. You want to do final torque with the vehicle on it's own weight. If you torque everything down prior to that while still jacked up, you'll hear pops and clunks on your first drive as everything settles into it's final place and you'll have to retorque again anyway.

REDdawn6[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Mar 6, 2017 at 9:50 AM
    REDdawn6

Member:
    Redlands CA.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    OK. Cool man
    So, you saying, they've the far rear shackle bolt, a fraction less than 120ft tq?

19. Mar 6, 2017 at 9:56 AM
    GHOST SHIP

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    I didn't measure torque on the rear bolts. Just tightened it down to where I though it was good and the bushing wasn't binding. Blue Loctite will keep it there for me. I'm comfortable with it, after all, my life sort of depends on it. I'm pretty sure I'm nowhere near 120 though. Don't take my word for it (legal disclaimer so I don't get sued), Toyota came up with that number for a reason. With all the modifications we do to our trucks for specific improvements, that's just one I found to keep the rear suspension loose and freely moving up and down. If you're not entirely comfortable with the install on your own, you may want to ask a few trusted sources just to get more opinions.

Blackout14 likes this.
  20. Mar 6, 2017 at 10:58 AM
    highnitro

highnitro Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karlo
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    '14 Reg-Cab 4x4 (040)
    King 2.5 w/resi's, Camburg UCA's, KM2's, spidertraxx 1.25's, Leer cap
    Agreed. engine internals, multi bolt arrangements where even pressure is required (like wheels), and stretch hardware.

Products Discussed in

To Top