1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

change wheel bearing on 97 accord?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by red neck toy, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Feb 5, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    red neck toy

red neck toy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    -3in toytech lift -33" x 11.5" firestone destination m/t -16" x 10" mickey thompson classic II. -cut and boxed in body mounts so no more rubbing!! -black headlight covers -anytime foglight mod -35%tint front -5% over stock on back -custom built bull bar -mossy oak camo seat covers -k&n cold air intake -tornado gas saver -dual straight pipes. only tacoma i've seen with them and it sounds really good. (but not if you dont like loud) lol.. soon to come: -black headlight mod -aftermarket grill -blacked out emblems -headers -new shocks and leafsprings - considering all pro front bumper
    anyone know how to change a wheel bearing on a 97 honda accord. ik its not a toyota.. but if anyone could help me id really appreciate. it looks about like the same assembly as my tacoma but im not sure. its on my girlfriends car and its getting pretty bad. i plan on doing it tonight if anyone can give me some advice.
    thanks

2. Feb 5, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    CAMZTRD

CAMZTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    hampton, va
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4
    billy 5100's @ 2.5 w/ 1/4 spacers, toytec aal, LR UCA's, revotec headlights,revotec taillights, lamin-x fogs, color matched grille and rear bumper, undercover, bed-extender, black nerf bars, scan gaugeII , afe drop in, 50 series flowmaster, 6000k bi-xenon hids, more to come.......
  3. Feb 5, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    red neck toy

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    -3in toytech lift -33" x 11.5" firestone destination m/t -16" x 10" mickey thompson classic II. -cut and boxed in body mounts so no more rubbing!! -black headlight covers -anytime foglight mod -35%tint front -5% over stock on back -custom built bull bar -mossy oak camo seat covers -k&n cold air intake -tornado gas saver -dual straight pipes. only tacoma i've seen with them and it sounds really good. (but not if you dont like loud) lol.. soon to come: -black headlight mod -aftermarket grill -blacked out emblems -headers -new shocks and leafsprings - considering all pro front bumper
    a guy i know that works at napa said it just bolts in. and he knows what he's knows alot about that stuff. thats whats confusing me tho ive seen on the internet it needs to be pressed in/out but the bearing i have had 4 bolt holes and its a small assembly thing. we have a press in our shop so pressing them isnt a big deal im just not exactly sure how to go about it

4. Feb 5, 2010 at 12:27 PM
    red neck toy

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    this is what ive got.
    [​IMG]

5. Feb 5, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    CAMZTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    hampton, va
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4
    billy 5100's @ 2.5 w/ 1/4 spacers, toytec aal, LR UCA's, revotec headlights,revotec taillights, lamin-x fogs, color matched grille and rear bumper, undercover, bed-extender, black nerf bars, scan gaugeII , afe drop in, 50 series flowmaster, 6000k bi-xenon hids, more to come.......
    thats the hub assembly...yes you can just bolt that in.

6. Feb 5, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    red neck toy

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    so thats all i need to do, un bolt the old one bolt tht one in?

7. Feb 5, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    CAMZTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    hampton, va
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4
    yep, thats it.

here is a pic...

hub.gif

8. Feb 5, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Haha right up my alley, I'm an accord guru :D I had two accords before the taco.

The picture you posted is the hub assembly with the bearing included. If you have that, then to remove it, you will need to remove those bolts in the illustration above on the backside of the knuckle, then attach a slide hammer to the lugs. Believe me, GET A SLIDE HAMMER! it makes life way easier. chances are that assembly will be "stuck" in the knuckle pretty good and a slide hammer is the only way to get the proper leverage to knock it loose.

Be careful, I have had a wheel bearing seperate on me when doing that, then you have find another way to get the hub assembly out of the knuckle.

Also do yourself a favor and loosen the 4 bolts that attach the brake rotor to the hub BEFORE you attempt to do anything else. Be very careful as they are shallow bolt heads. I have rounded one off before and couldn't remove the rotor..that was a bad day. Lol when I sold my accord it had one new rotor and one old rotor on it.

9. Feb 5, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    red neck toy

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    thanks for that info, i started working on it tonight and i cant figure how to get onto the bolts on the back side of the hub assembly. i got one losened but the rest i cant get onto enought. a guy ik said i should take out the lower ball joint and that should give me more room. any suggestions?

10. Feb 5, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Yep, you can pop the lower ball joint loose. Remove the brake caliper bracket also. I remember two of them being kind of a bitch to get to.

11. Feb 6, 2010 at 6:15 AM
    red neck toy

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    alright thanks im going to work on that right now

Products Discussed in

To Top