1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changed head gasket....truck won't start...please help

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by VLANDER005, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Dec 19, 2009 at 6:30 AM
    VLANDER005

VLANDER005 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 YODA, 2.7 I4, 31" MTR's
    31" Goodyear MTR's
    I didn't check it with a gage. However, I did verify it by installing the spark plug wire without the spark plug. It is sucking in air on intake stroke and popping the wire out on the compression stroke. On cyl# 1 that is.

2. Dec 19, 2009 at 6:32 AM
    VLANDER005

Member:
    Vehicle:
    31" Goodyear MTR's
    And when cyl# 1 is at TDC, the timing mark reads 0 on the crank pulley.

3. Dec 19, 2009 at 6:36 AM
    VLANDER005

Member:
    Vehicle:
    31" Goodyear MTR's
    I didn't use a gage. However I did put the plug wire in without the spark plug and verified that it is indeed intaking air on the intake stroke and blowing air out on the compression stroke. When cyl#1 is at TDC the timing mark on the crank is pointing right at the 0.

4. Dec 19, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    LostRebel

LostRebel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Black Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fisher plow, BakFlip and Snugtop cap, Demello Sliders, Scanguage,
    I've never used this method, but the sequence you describe would hold true for both the compression and exhaust strokes. Each movement of the piston down is going to draw into the spark plug hole and each movement up is going to exhaust out the hole. The only method I have used for determining TDC is a compression giuage. Others may have used your method and can verify if is reliable.

5. Dec 19, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    VLANDER005

Member:
    Vehicle:
    31" Goodyear MTR's
    I see what your saying. I really have no way of determing which cylce I am on with my method. Since there are actually two downward and two upward strokes. I could be off. Are you sure that this engine is non interence? I am going to attach a photo of my cams installed along with a nice youtube link I found showing a great represenation of a DOHC 4 cyl engine. It shows the same firing order as mine and the same cam location as far as lobes.

6. Dec 19, 2009 at 7:00 AM
    VLANDER005

Member:
    Vehicle:
    31" Goodyear MTR's
    I can't get the photo to upload. Below is the youtube link, and my photo matches the computer model interms of cam lobe placement as best as I can tell. I can email you the photos if you'd like.

7. Dec 19, 2009 at 7:03 AM
    VLANDER005

Member:
    Vehicle:
    31" Goodyear MTR's
  8. Dec 19, 2009 at 7:18 AM
    LostRebel

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    If it was me, I would first verify TDC at compression stroke and assure that the distributor is indexed correctly as it is a common problem when the distributor has been removed. I can't answer your question about yours being a non-interference engine or not.

9. Dec 19, 2009 at 7:23 AM
    VLANDER005

Member:
    Vehicle:
    31" Goodyear MTR's
    And the best way to really determine TDC is with a compression gage? I just rotated my distributor one tooth to the right, as your looking straight at it. This moved the rotor just below the #1 mark on the cap. I had the closed thing to the engine starting that I've had yet. It was only a brief noise difference in the engine when it tried to start. Then it just went back to the turning over. This is really difficult to explain.

10. Dec 19, 2009 at 7:29 AM
    VLANDER005

Member:
    Vehicle:
    31" Goodyear MTR's
    Do you have any illustrations that show the correct indexing process for the distributor? I really appreciate your help!

11. Dec 19, 2009 at 7:41 AM
    BRP27

BRP27 When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    It sounds like timing to me.I know you have checked this many times. But everything points to this. You know it was messed up once.

My input is to pull the valve cover. Roll the engine over with plugs out, make sure the valves are opening and closing in relation to #1 TDC correcty. Make sure your timing is set at factory manual settings
    It has to be timing ,you have spark and fuel.

I am assuming the engine was running before you replaced the head gasket

12. Dec 19, 2009 at 7:49 AM
    LostRebel

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    I'm not familiar with your engine, but generally, to determine TDC of the compression stroke, you place the compression guage in No.1 spark plug hole, turn the engine over slowly (with correct direction of rotation) and as soon as the guage starts to register pressure, you're on the compression stroke. (This assumes that the cams / timing chain are installed correctly.) Then you continue to turn the crank until you are at TDC, as indicated by the timing marks on the crankshaft pully and timing cover. Once you are at TDC, you insert the distributor so that the rotor is aligned with the No.1 spark plug connector on the cap. This should put you close enough to get the engine started.

13. Dec 19, 2009 at 7:59 AM
    VLANDER005

Member:
    Vehicle:
    31" Goodyear MTR's
    Sounds good. I am going to rent a compression tester now to make sure I'm on the compression stroke. The manual says 5 degress of timing, but how can I adjust that without being able to rotate the distributor by hand, other than unbolting it and turning it like I have been? Is there another way to check the timing with it running? In other words, I'm not sure how to check the factory manual specs other than insuring the timing mark is on 0 at TDC on comp storke. The truck did run perfect before the head gasket.

14. Dec 19, 2009 at 8:05 AM
    LostRebel

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Timing adjustment is necessary after you get the engine running. Timing light and manual turning of distributor is the most common method.

15. Dec 19, 2009 at 8:09 AM
    LostRebel

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    I see that Chris4x4 is around. You might ask him about yours being a non-interference engine. If so, it would probably be okay to start from where you are, rotate the engine to the next TDC and then realign the distributor to No 1. You'll shouldn't be in any worse shape and should help identify the problem.

16. Dec 19, 2009 at 8:19 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB

X2. The key is to check and see if you are getting good compression through the entierty of the compresson stroke. Check each cylinder to be sure and this will give you an idea if your cam is installed improperly. Also, are you sure that the distributor is not installed 180* out? I have seen this done countless times, so it would be worth while to double check.

17. Dec 19, 2009 at 12:53 PM
    VLANDER005

Member:
    Vehicle:
    31" Goodyear MTR's
    Well...the intake cam was installed to the incorrect dot on the back of the gear. It was 45 degrees off. The engine still will not fire, however it sounds like normal while cranking compared to how it sounded the last go around. I don't think the head gasket worked though. I hear air leaking into the timing chamber while on the compression stroke. It sounds like I will be tearing it back apart, but I want to get it started before I do just to get a warm and fuzzy about the entire timing process. I want to know that it is correct so I can relax on the next tear down.

18. Dec 19, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    VLANDER005

Member:
    Vehicle:
    31" Goodyear MTR's
    I've tried rotating the distributor on both of the "compression" stokes. I know there is only one, but I've tried the TDC on both times the piston as at the top...according to the timing mark on the crank pully and pearing into the spark plug hole. I feel very confident that the timing is correct this time. I am going to throw in the towel for today. But tomorrow morning, after an evening of consuming alcohol, I'm going to start over, checking everything. Spark, fuel & do a compression test for the hell of it. I appreciate all of the help and I'll let you guys know things are going early tomorrow afternoon.

19. Dec 19, 2009 at 1:34 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I really hope you get this figured out. Keep us posted

20. Dec 19, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    LostRebel

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    You'll get it. It's always easier the second time. Double check that the camshaft sprocket timing marks are aligned. If you weren't at TDC compression when you disassembled, even if your marks are aligned relative to the case now, your timing chain may be way off. Did you mark the chain in relation to its position on the sprocket before disassembly? As you found the intake camshaft out of alignment, it's possible that both camshafts are out of alignment and will need to be set correctly before you proceed further.

Products Discussed in

To Top