1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changed shoes and now spongy pedal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by usajagstacoma, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Mar 19, 2018 at 5:59 AM
    usajagstacoma

usajagstacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Vehicle:
    2012 double cab 2.7 sr5
    Tinted windows, visors, and wind deflector
    I changed my shoes, I am slightly kicking myself for doing it.

I have 98k on my 2012 double cab 4 cylinder with the 15 inch tires 5 lug. I had a slight squeak so I decided to change the shoes...
    after using 2 8m with 1.25 threat to get the drum off the still pads had some life left about 50%

I decided to change them since I already had the afternoon off...
    I had some slight difficult with the reassembly on the driver side. The star wheel would not adjust so I had to take it back apart and redo.

I still have a solid stopping truck, but my pedal feels spongy, the Ebrake does work but has a lot of travel.

It almost feels like I have air in the lines, which is odd since I didn't open the lines at all.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mar 19, 2018 at 6:07 AM
    knottyrope

knottyrope Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knotty
    Bahstun
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco CCLB 4x4 SR5 4.0
    Pads, rotors, ujoints, 5900K Super White Xenon HID Halogen Bulb Fog Light
    if you pull e brake till it drags, does the pedal come up?

if yes then you need to adjust brakes again

TexasWhiteIce likes this.
  3. Mar 19, 2018 at 6:12 AM
    ZekeR7

ZekeR7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Quicksand
    What the guy said above^

I think it just needs adjustment or a spring may be in the wrong spot.

4. Mar 19, 2018 at 7:31 AM
    weendoggy

weendoggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Access Original Tonneau Cover; Toyota Side Tube Steps; Focal ISS690 front speakers; Clarion XC1410 mini amp; Gentex 453 rearview mirror with Homelink, Compass, Temp and Autodim; Prodigy P2 trailer brake controller, Heated Seats from www.cobraheat.com, BriteAss Fogs, Phillips Extreme LED H/L. Heated mirrors from @Up2NoGood. 5100 Bilstein all four corners.
    Rear brake shoes should adjust automatically when applying the E-brake on modern cars. However, you MUST first make sure the shoes are adjusted properly and the star wheel and operation are free. When I do rear brakes, I take the star adjuster completely apart and lube with anti seize and insure it works effortlessly by hand. After re-installing the shoes, you have to make sure the drum is tight on adjustment then back off the star by holding the locking lever away from the star wheel until the drum rotates freely by hand, but with a slight drag. Most backing plates have knockouts to do this, but if you don't have them, you just have to R&R the drum to accomplish this. Also (I've seen it done) make sure the adjusting star wheels are on the correct side and as mentioned, all springs are in good shape and correct.

Rear wheel cylinders don't act like a brake caliper and can compress more to give the feel of a spongy brake due to it needing more fluid to actuate the shoes. If you can give your pedal a few short pumps and it's better, the rears need adjusting. If in doubt about air in the lines, a good simple bleeding will not hurt a thing. Be sure to check the master cylinder as you go and top off as mentioned.

Biscuits likes this.
  5. Mar 19, 2018 at 1:05 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Biscuits likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top