1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changing differential fluid - A step by step "HOW TO"

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by brianr, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Jun 21, 2014 at 3:31 AM
    jcman01

jcman01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Buck
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Offroad, 6-manual, Blue Ribbon Metallic
    I've done both the snaked tube method and the pump method.

The pump I bought is cheap and less hassle. By the time you snake all the tubing and connect it all up, you might as well just screw on the pump (I had to use duct tape for a tight seal) and pump.

It took about 2 or 3 minutes. I then soaked the pump overnight in soapy water, and it is ready to use again.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQW5LK/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Jun 21, 2014 at 7:17 PM
    devkurf

devkurf Member at Large

Member:
    West Central Illinois
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    5100's @ 1.75 Wheelers 1.5 AAL
    I just changed it on my 05 non-TRD Sr5, and it has the LS option. Thanks for the write-up.

3. Jun 21, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Thanks Chris.... didn't know that. Maybe update the first post :notsure:

4. Jun 22, 2014 at 9:24 AM
    Jeffaz1

Jeffaz1 Active Member

Member:
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner access cab
    Thanks so much for the tutorial and everyone else for sharing their advice because I was a little hesitant, but did this last night and had no problem. I had to buy the 24mm socket and breaker bar, but neither plug gave me any trouble. It definitely looked like it needed changed. So there is now one more thing I know how to do to my truck!

5. Jun 22, 2014 at 9:25 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    :woot:

6. Jul 5, 2014 at 6:47 AM
    K Williams

K Williams Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road V6 MT
    Well...the dealership is supposed to "inspect" the diff oil at 15,000 miles. My truck is there and they better do what I paid for. Will be checking for wrenching marks on the plug when I go to pick it up! I don't trust these stealerships for nothing.

7. Jul 5, 2014 at 7:01 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Not for nutt'n but Y wood U pay the stealership 2 inspect the diff - just DYI and change it on your own schedule & save $$$ plus U will know it's done and done right !

8. Jul 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM
    jackbower6864

jackbower6864 Member

Member:
  9. Jul 6, 2014 at 3:00 PM
    Stlcardsfan

Stlcardsfan New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the awesome write up! I was a little intimidated having never done this before but the step by step gave me the courage to try. I have an 08 2.7L with 105K miles on it and I doubt this service has ever been performed on the truck.

All jobs are remarkably easier with the proper tools and in my case I do not have jack stands or a breaker bar - both would have been very useful for this service. So, laying on my back with very little room to work and a 3/8 ratchet made it extremely difficult to remove the fill plug. I hit it with some PB Blaster and let it sit overnight, hit it with a hammer a few hundred times and tried with all my might to get that sucker off until I was about to give up. Then, while laying in my bed this morning and brainstorming about my predicament I came up with a solution that others may find useful. I placed the ratchet on the drain plug and angled it downward at a 45 degree angle and held it to the plug with the sole of my boot. I then slid the cup of my hydraulic jack under the ratchet and jacked it up.....Ta Da!!! Bolt came loose and I celebrated in amazement.

The oil that came out of that thing was absolutely disgusting: Dark brown, very cloudy and very thick (sludge). So glad I did this and I hope no major damage was done by waiting so long. I didn't see any metal in the oil though. Thanks again for the instructions guys. This forum rocks!

10. Jul 7, 2014 at 11:14 AM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    You might want to double check your seals for leakage and consider putting in a diff breather mod if you put the back wheels in water sometimes.

11. Jul 7, 2014 at 11:59 PM
    808TacoMan

808TacoMan HAWAIIAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawson
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle:
    '12 IS250
    Megan Racing Coilovers Morimoto XB LED Fogs
    Gonna change my fluids sometime this week when it gets delivered. Can't wait to see how bad it is. Don't know if it was ever changed. Bought the truck at 100k. One prior owner, but I put on almost 20k in two years.

12. Jul 9, 2014 at 10:08 AM
    Doug.McKee

Doug.McKee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    13' DCSB Magnetic Gray 4X4
    Body: Bushwacker fender flares CMC Body mount mod Custom dual exhaust Magnaflow muffler Debadged Predator steps Backup camera Extang trifecta tonneau cover Customcargrill perforated mesh grill with raptor letters from B.A.M.F. Rear differential breather mod Tacoma Bed mat ECGS clamshell bushing replacement for needle bearing Interior: Rugged Ridge front and rear floor liners Line-X door sill protectors TRD shift knob Black Katskin leather seats Recovery: Just purchased some ARB snatch straps
    I ended up buying some Lucas 75-90 synthetic. Is this all right, just wasn't sure about it being synthetic?

13. Jul 9, 2014 at 10:14 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Should be fine,

14. Jul 9, 2014 at 11:01 AM
    Doug.McKee

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    Body: Bushwacker fender flares CMC Body mount mod Custom dual exhaust Magnaflow muffler Debadged Predator steps Backup camera Extang trifecta tonneau cover Customcargrill perforated mesh grill with raptor letters from B.A.M.F. Rear differential breather mod Tacoma Bed mat ECGS clamshell bushing replacement for needle bearing Interior: Rugged Ridge front and rear floor liners Line-X door sill protectors TRD shift knob Black Katskin leather seats Recovery: Just purchased some ARB snatch straps
    This may be a stupid question but when you say to replace the fill plug do you mean to get a new one or put the old one back on. Just wanted to make sure before I did this today.

15. Jul 9, 2014 at 1:59 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    ^^^ Put the old one back on.

16. Jul 9, 2014 at 7:51 PM
    Doug.McKee

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    everything worked out fine thanks for the help. It definetly looked like it needed it. When I took out the plug there was a bunch of crud on the end...didn't know if that was normal.

[​IMG]

17. Jul 25, 2014 at 9:03 AM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
  18. Jul 29, 2014 at 9:19 AM
    Z E R 0

Z E R 0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    14 PreRunner TRD Sport
  19. Aug 6, 2014 at 6:08 AM
    vtaco

vtaco Member

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner TRD SR5
    Hi Guys - I am just getting ready to change the Front Diff, Transfer case, and Rear Diff on my 2010 TRD Sport. I was told the 2009 and up do not use the LSD in the diff anymore and are controlled independent? I am looking at 75W90 Amsoil Severe Gear for all of these and would like to know if this is the way to go? and can someone confirm that I dont need the LSD additive due to the change on these later models with the LSD setup? what are peoples thoughts on Royal Purple vs Amsoil?

20. Aug 6, 2014 at 6:16 AM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    If it doesn't have the sticker, I would assume you don't need it. Also, the manual may have that information, but I would not know seeing as I have not looked. If worse comes to worst, I would call the dealer and ask to speak with a Toyota technician.

To Top