1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changing differential + transfer case fluid; Transmission fluid?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by geodude, Sep 14, 2013.

1. geodude

geodude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    My 2002 2.7L 4x4 5spd is about to hit 90,000 miles. I've only owned the truck for a few years, and I'll assume the previous owner hadn't changed any fluids other than the oil, so i'll be changing out the Rear Differential, and Transfer Case fluids shortly.

My question is whether or not it would be wise to replace the Transmission fluid as well. It's a 5spd, feels smooth shifting, and no noises; so what concerns me is that I've seen that sometimes changing the transmission fluid can cause new problems, especially on trucks where the fluid hasn't been constantly changed.

Any advice?

2. geodude

Member:
    No objections, I guess it's a go.

3. wrat

wrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 TRD
    Changing transmission fluid on an automatic at high mileage can be a bad thing, but I've never heard of it being an issue with a manual. Even at those miles I doubt that changing the fluid would create an issue. Your call though...

4. tacomataco2

tacomataco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastham Mass
    Vehicle:
    02 Dbl cab Silver
    Bilstein 5100's, eibach coils, u bolt flip, Dakars/d6xl, Ome shackles, Poly sway bar bush, Poly rack bush, voltmeter, led guage lights, magnaflow stainless catback, stainless cats, deckplate mod, afe filter, tundra brakes,PIAA fogs behind grillecraft, color matched grille, soft topper, Projector retrofit, Allpro bumper , Blitzpro light bars, Alpine/ rock fosgate sound system, 35% tint, Some derped stuff
    Haha x2. Only on autos, manuals is a different story. Go ahead and change it

5. 2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    I need to do this. I have read on here somewhere that GL5 I believe could eat up syncros. So what is the best GL4 or GL5?

6. 604YOTA

604YOTA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Disco Stu
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD SR5
    Grey wire mod, eibach, 5100's & 5125's, ome Dakar leafs, 1.25 rear shackle, Gibson exhaust, ram air intake, throttle body spacer, boot slide mod, poly bushing kit, extended brake lines.
    Sorry for the thread jack but..why would changing the trans fluid on a auto be a bad thing? Went to my mechanic the other day and he said it was time for a change.. I usually do all my fluids myself so I told him don't bother.

7. tacoma04

tacoma04 Laissez les bons temps rouler

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Northern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 4Runner SR5
    604YOTA, I think you would find that most people on here are talking about flushing a high mileage auto, not fluid changes.

Here is a link so you can see the reasoning.

Trans Flush

8. geodude

Member:
    Appreciate the info.
    Thank You

9. Norton

Norton Senior TW Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 V6 5-Spd SR5 TRD 4x4
    TRD Supercharger; URD 7th Injector; Injen CAI w/Airaid SynthaMax Filter; Magnaflow Cat-back; Wheelers 5-Leafs; OME 881s; Bilstein 5100s; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on 4Runner Ltd 5-Spokes; MetalMiller TRD Skid; B.A.M.F BPV Bracket; Grey Wire, Fog Light, Power Outlet, Door Chime & DRL Mods; FUBAR Moto Bits LED Headlights; Interior, Under-hood, & Reverse LEDs; Kenwood KDC-X895 HU & KFC-C6893PS Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PT Sub & Dynamat; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; External Thermometer; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Rhino Bed Liner; Toyota Bed Extender; SnugTop Super Sport; SolarGard Tint; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Alarm w/Keyless Entry; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    I'd say it's a good idea to change the oil in your (5-spd) Transmission, Transfer Case, Rear Differential, and Front Differential. They'll drain best if they're warm (i.e., recently run). Another important note is to open the FILL plug on each component BEFORE you remove the drain plug. That way, you KNOW you'll be able to re-fill what you drain. (Doing it the other way around can be an inconvenient and expensive lesson...) Finally, don't forget to replace the crush washers!

10. geodude

Member:
    Good advice, any opinions on changing out with full synthetics vs traditional after all those miles on traditional? I'm sure there's plenty out there

11. Norton

Norton Senior TW Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 V6 5-Spd SR5 TRD 4x4
    TRD Supercharger; URD 7th Injector; Injen CAI w/Airaid SynthaMax Filter; Magnaflow Cat-back; Wheelers 5-Leafs; OME 881s; Bilstein 5100s; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on 4Runner Ltd 5-Spokes; MetalMiller TRD Skid; B.A.M.F BPV Bracket; Grey Wire, Fog Light, Power Outlet, Door Chime & DRL Mods; FUBAR Moto Bits LED Headlights; Interior, Under-hood, & Reverse LEDs; Kenwood KDC-X895 HU & KFC-C6893PS Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PT Sub & Dynamat; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; External Thermometer; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Rhino Bed Liner; Toyota Bed Extender; SnugTop Super Sport; SolarGard Tint; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Alarm w/Keyless Entry; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    I'm sure opinions will vary but, FWIW, I'm a fan of full synthetic and run Amsoil in all my vehicles. Keep in mind 90K miles isn't "high" for a Toyota...

12. STOCKTRD

STOCKTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    In Traffic
    Vehicle:
    Endlessly Searching For A SRunner
    None
  13. geodude

Member:
    Very cool.
    Thank You

Also, do all the drains have crush washers? I'd figured it would be wise to replace those where needed, possibly even replace some of the bolts themselves as they're pretty rusty on the heads.

14. Norton

Norton Senior TW Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 V6 5-Spd SR5 TRD 4x4
    There are crush washers on all the drains and fills. Replacing the bolts is also a good idea if they're in bad shape.

15. geodude

Member:

Thank you, got a quote from local Toyota dealer; roughly $16 for all fill and drain crush washers (they say gaskets).

After looking through the FSM it's looking like the approximate 3.7 Qt's of 75w90 GL-4(Transmission + Transfer Case) and 3.8 Qt's of 75w90 GL-5 (differentials) is going to cost me about $120 @ about $15 a quart. That's the price for Redline.

Seems like a lot for just the fluid. Anyone know what it would cost me at a shop to change out all these fluids? They're oil cost would be a fraction of mine I'm sure since they have it by the 55 Gal drum.

To Top