1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changing fluid for brake and power steering only in reservoirs ok for the short term?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by clothar, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Jul 27, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    clothar

clothar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    98 V6 4WD Xtra Cab Limited
    Hi Guys,
    I’ve got a trip planned with my new to me 98 Tacoma and for a great many reasons (some good some not) I have not gotten around to flushing my brakes or my power steering. I’m headed on a 600km drive tomorrow and the fluids I mentioned above are filthy. The Brake fluid is a brown color and the power steering is really dark.
    I’m wondering if I just change the fluid in the reservoirs will that help in the short term or is it better to leave them (until I have a chance to flush them)?
    I’m not having any problems with either system except my ABS light keeps coming on after driving for a while. I really want to avoid introducing air into either system

Thanks for the advice,

I’m a bit nervous because this is the trucks maiden voyage. Well for me, it has done a lot of voyages over its life with 165k miles on it.

2. Jul 27, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    scocar

scocar Scouting the perimeter for weakness

Member:
    First Name:
    Dick
    In close proximity to an undisclosed location
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Back to square one after the 2001. So...
    If both system are operating fine and you will not be overloading the truck and doing mountainous or severe driving, I would not do anything until I returned. You run the risk of creating problems where none currently exist, especailly if you are rushing to get ready and leave.

If they need to be topped up, top them up.

3. Jul 27, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Herbie Hancock
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Mostly stock for now, I have added a cb radio, various cheap mods and I plan on adding aftermarket wheels and other items in the future.
    You should change ASAP, before the trip. But it should be fine if you don't change it, however there is no possible way for me or anyone else to know if it would be totally fine.
    As long as it has the proper oil level, should be fine.

To Top