1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changing oil and tramission fluid

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by 5lugturtle, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Sep 29, 2016 at 9:45 AM
    5lugturtle

5lugturtle [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver Tacoma 5 lug regular cab 2x4
    Lift,31s
    So im kinda a freak on maintence, but do you guys think it is a waste?

:changing oil sythenic every 3k miles
    :tranmission fluid every 30k keeping t pink
    :changing coolant every 30k miles
    :changing break fluid every 30k
    :new spark plugs every 30k miles?
    :new air filters evey 2 or 3 oil changes
    :rotate tires every 5k
    : breaks cleaned eveytime on rack
    :Wax car and clay it every year twice

I am trying to keep my truck it tip top shape, because I want to get every mile out of it I can. Truck is paid off. I also am working to become a mechanic and I am working at shop where I get shop prices for free and I just do the work myself. So basically all the parts are very low. I am a freak on maintence, but is that a bad thing am I wasting money or am I just crazy? Trying to keep this truck for a long ass time, already have engines and tranny prices ready when mine kick lol.

hoping to keep the truck 20+ years for my kid or something lol.

2. Sep 29, 2016 at 9:54 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Looks like a good maint program to me

5lugturtle[OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 29, 2016 at 9:56 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Assuming you have 'normal duty' or use of the truck.............

Oil is a waste. 10k is more like it. Prove it by sending a sample to Blackstone your next change.
    Trans is a great idea, but just drain and fill, not a flush.
    Differential...... every 2nd trans change
    Coolant is more time based. There are coolant test tools.
    Brake fluid is more time based. 2 years is about right.
    Plugs, whatever Toyota specs for that engine.
    Air filters, depending on the conditions driven in.
    Rotation, that's good.
    Brakes cleaned at least once a year, including lubing friction points front and rear and adjusting shoes
    Clay and wax based on environmental needs. That's more your time than your money.

5lugturtle[OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 29, 2016 at 9:58 AM
    5lugturtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Lift,31s
    Also does lucas engine treatment do anything? I put them in every gas fill up and have been getting better mpgs all around?

5. Sep 29, 2016 at 10:00 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Its good in the gas every oil change, or the techron stuff is good too.

6. Sep 29, 2016 at 10:00 AM
    5lugturtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Lift,31s
    Yes tran flushes I heard are horrible, but the tran fluid changes if done early can keep the fluid pink and stop it from turning brown. My boss said changing it every 30k or 50k. Truck has about 29k miles atm so plan on doing some maintence when it hits 30.

7. Sep 29, 2016 at 10:02 AM
    5lugturtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Lift,31s
    So cutting oil changes to 3k with sythenic is a complete waste? I just hate when the oil looks like dark death poo.

8. Sep 29, 2016 at 10:03 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    My $0.02

9. Sep 29, 2016 at 10:55 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    I change my engine oil, filter, rotate tires, and grease everything with a fitting at 5k miles.

10. Sep 30, 2016 at 1:17 PM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    dark oil means it's doing its job and cleaning the dirt and deposits not that its burnt. synthetic oil maintains it's viscous properties over extended time much better than conventional, meaning that it still lubricates after much higher miles but they both get dirty. I change my oil filter at 6k on full synthetic and then do a full change at 12k. but most of my miles are on pavement so I'm not constantly sucking dirt and dust into my engine so there is less dirt internally to darken the oil. if most of you drives are short trips OCI should be shorter due to condensation build up and not evaporating and overtime leading to some water in you oil. but 3k on synthetic is way over kill, heck on clean roads its prolly a little over kill on conventional.

11. Oct 2, 2016 at 1:44 PM
    shr133

shr133 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Muskego, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 Sport
    K & N filter, 275 70 17 Cooper AT3, OME Nitrocharger shocks, 884 Springs, Dakar leafs.
    Sounds good..... I think you are on track for good maintenance scheduled...
    anyone that says you can run the oil longer than 5K never rebuilt an engine.........
    3K to 5K on oil unless you drive a ton of hwy miles...
    30K trans fluid ect....

But if the oil or fluids are still clean they are still clean....
    Dust, dirt, climate, time and heat will determine how long you can run fluids..
    My race bikes need oil after 1 or 2 days at the track and it's junk...
    We run the oil for 6 months in the civic with 4500 miles and still looks ok....
    But my Tacoma the oil is getting dirty by 3500 mile....
    and with the dry summer and so much dust I've changed it at 2000 a few times after running through the woods....
    Honda says you can run the oil 7500 miles, those people are getting new pistons at 100K...
    Toyota say the trans fluid is good for 100K but you will get a new trans with your new oil......

Also the stock fluids sill wear out faster than synthetic fluids....
    I just change out my gear oil for the 2nd time and it was still like new after 30K but this time I upgraded to amsoil from cheaper a brand...
    The first time just the transfer case oil was good...
    I could have ran it longer but after 3 years of off roading, it's cheap insurance and peace of mind to know everything is good and it's not contaminated...

It's called preventative maintenance....

If you tow or do heavy off roading add a better trans cooler...

After adding a trans cooler and going to amsoil, the trans fluid is holding up much better, after 2 years still looks new...
    Just did a 3 QT change on the trans and it was like new so I stopped at 3 qts...
    Switched to red line in my FRS at 36k and the fluid was already brown and gear oil was already junk...

So only you can determine when the oil need to be changed...
    When it's dirty it's dirty for any type of lubricant...

Products Discussed in

To Top