1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changing oxygen sensor on a 02 Tacoma?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MP1, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Mar 9, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    MP1

MP1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma
    Is there any easy way of accessing the bank one oxygen sensor on a 02 Tacoma, greatly appreciate any information on accessing the sensor, as well as the process for changing it.
    Thanks

2. Mar 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM
    james

james In over my head...

Member:
    Friday Harbor, WA: Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma V6
    yeah, I just pulled this one apart two weekends ago. Another post showed me the way. But I'll repeat what I found...

If you go through the inside of the cab, you'll get to the upstream one with relative ease. Carefully remove the plastic gear shift console and you'll expose the top of your transmission. Grab a headlamp and look in, towards the front. There's your upstream sensor plug. You'll have to break the plastic thingy that anchors it to its mount, but it's really not needed. (I used a chisel to cut the thing loose as it was too cramped for any delicate work. Unless you have small hands or cool tools, you may need to break the thing free any way you can.) Once you've loosened it, you can turn it around 180º and unplug/replug in the new one. Then feed the thing back down the hole and mount it. Once I got the old one disconnected from the top, the new one took me all of 10 minutes to install.

That's how I did it. Hope it helps.

Oh...you'll need to things to do this well. Some electrical grease – I forget the name of it...Dielectric grease that protects the electrical contacts from moisture/corrosion. I bought a single use packet from the counter display at the auto parts store. The second thing will be some anti-seize grease for the actual mounting bolts.

3. Mar 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    exminnesotaboy

exminnesotaboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maple Grove, MN
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 4x4 V6 Xtra Cab
    Bilstein 5100's / OME 881's / Wheelers 5 leaf pack / ProComp 1069 wheels / 265/75-16 Michelin LTX tires
    Maybe they are different on James 98 Tacoma, but on my 01 V6 Xtra cab, it was easily accessible from under the truck. Honestly, i'm not sure if I could access it from the floorboards at all. My bank one sensor is actually an Air/Fuel sensor. 15 minutes tops if the hardware was as (surprisingly)easy as mine was to remove

To Top