1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changing Tacoma's - Need advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by alpineski26, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Mar 3, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    alpineski26

alpineski26 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD
    So in December 09 I purcahsed my first pickup, an 05 4x4 TRD OR Access Cab Auto V6. I really LIKE it. Im just not sure that I love it, and thats because perhaps it isnt what I truly need/want from a truck. Im thinking I want to go with a 4x4 Reg Cab with the M5 and 2.7?

Im not straying from tacoma - great vehicle. On to the list...

So I thought I wanted more power (v6) - but the gas sucking just doesnt work for me
    I thought I wanted the extra space/if you can call them seats from the access cab - but if I go to a reg cab i can just get a truck box of some sort for dry storage, and i only lose 1 uncomfortable seat capacity
    I thought i wanted an auto after driving a standard in traffic all these years...but ive realized having more control of the vehicle outweighs the odd days i get stuck in bumper-bumper (they are few and far between)

I need the truck for standard use, lumber etc, transporting my sportbike and bicycles oftenish. 4x4 is a must, I go skiing and drive on snow/mud crap all the time.

So, is it worth it for me to make this switch, gas mileage being slightly better? I live in the city so the manueverability of the reg cab would be a plus too. Thoughts?

Anyone done this swap?

If making this switch isnt worth it, I will certainly keep my current taco and be happy:D

2. Mar 3, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2000 4runner
    OME 3 inch suspension lift Toytec 1in body lift Rodger brown diff drop ARB front bumper Big tires, but want bigger! :) Xrc 8000 winch Hella3000 lights Deck plate mod Diff breather relocate Cb radio 1st gen roll bar Addicted sliders Spider trax wheel spacers.
    I highly doubt you will see a gas mileage increase with a smaller motor in the same truck you will just be going WOT more often to stay with traffic. You need to learn how to drive the truck. With winter gas Im at like 390 miles to my tank of gas, with non wither gas I get like 430 to a tank.

3. Mar 3, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    Background: I'm kind of an old guy, so here's my reasoning for going with the SR5, 2.7L, 4WD, AC. I had a 1990 extended cab, 4WD, V6 and loved it. I then went to a 2000 reg cab, 4WD, 5MT. I loved that truck too. It had the bucket seats with console, but I missed the "dry" room that the extended/access cab offered. So...when Toyota bought back my 2000, I put the money toward my current 2.7, 5MT, SR5, AC, 4WD. I love this truck and I really like having the extra dry storage and emergency seating for my teenaged kids.
    Before buying this truck I had decided that I wanted the 4.0 with auto tranny, but after driving a couple of them, I decided that I too wanted more control of the drive train, so stayed with the MT. As I generally don't tow much (13' Whaler for short distances), the 4.0 was not required for me. I do like the SR5 seats. And...I did drive a couple of reg cabs, but didn't like the bench seat.

Just my 2 cents...........

4. Mar 3, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    alpineski26

alpineski26 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD
    Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming.

To touch on gas mileage - I dont drive with a leadfoot at all, im seeing 18.5 regularly winter gas. My first tankful was still "summer" blend and i got 20+. Getting a MT would mean more short shifting and closer to 21 on avg im guessing?

5. Mar 3, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2000 4runner
    OME 3 inch suspension lift Toytec 1in body lift Rodger brown diff drop ARB front bumper Big tires, but want bigger! :) Xrc 8000 winch Hella3000 lights Deck plate mod Diff breather relocate Cb radio 1st gen roll bar Addicted sliders Spider trax wheel spacers.
    Yeah I have a manual and my buddy has an AT and on the same long distance drives I get better mileage than him.

6. Mar 3, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers

I call BS unless you are t
    opping off your tank untill it's overflowing.

To Top